My pets are manic-depressive(devastated with their behaviour!)

Sarah.OXSarah.OX Posts: 1,204
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This is going to be long but I am at a total loss and don't know what to do:

I have 2 twin cats and 1 dog. For the past few months,one of my cats(I'll call her kitty 1) has been spiralling out of control. Her mother disappeared,for all I know died,about 6 or 7 months ago and ever since then Kitty 1 has been skulking out at night and just a totally different cat really. I don't want to imagine the rough areas she's going to or what she's doing with other cats. On more than one ocassion have various tom cats appeared outside the house looking for her and it's absolutely terrible because I hear cats fighting from my bedroom window. I believe she's doing this to numb the pain of losing mother cat,who she was close to. What should I do wit her?? How can I stop her wandering off to god knows where at night,its really stressful cos I keep thinking one day she will not return :(

Her twin,kitty no 2 is the complete opposite. She's dealing with her grief by being really distant and just staying far away from her twin sister as possible. When the tom cats come around,they never come to her,her sister and I hear her meaowing and its making her feel not good enough and self concious about her appearance. They are both cute cats so it"s not the case. She just has bad self image but she obviously misses mother cat terribly too. The worst thing is they were once such close kittens,they've been drifting apart from months. This evening kitty no1 lay on pier while kitty no2 lay on ground a few metres away. A few months ago they'd be side by side!

I'm also concerned for my dog,who is in love with kitty no1. Kitty no1 has given him mixed signals but things got tense when he,to be blunt,tried to have his way with her and she didn't reciprocate however she does purr around with him and it's confusing him and he's so smitten with her. He's heartbroken. He looked longingly at the cat today,tried to rest with her on the pier but she was unresponsive. I've considered introducing him to another female dog. He has no male dog friends I suspect as he's teased for lusting after a cat..I supect..

As you can see my pets are in crisis. I don't even know if pet counselling exists but if it does I NEED it. I've taken pics of them and it really depicts how they're all affected by Kitty No.1's antics..it's not just the way to deal with her grief..going off with every tom cat instead of settling for my dog who I know she loves but she won't get together with him but she thinks if she gets close she'll lose him just like she did mother cat.

The whole situation is really worrying me,my pets used to be happy,not any more! I've been afraid to post in case peole think I'm lying and pets don't do this sort of thing,well mine do and I'm not gonna sell their stories to the papers or anything. This is not a joke thread,so please help me. I'm at my wits end. how can I get my old pets back? :( Thanks in advance if you help,again this is not a joke,please don't threat it as one. Animals have feelings too and I just need some advice for my pets.

Comments

• NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, windup post or not, I'll bite and suggest there's a bit more info needed that you've not provided:

age of cats and the dog ?
    are they spayed / neutered ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there some convention going on tonight that I don't know about?
  • Sarah.OXSarah.OX Posts: 1,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really does sound like one,but it's not. If only it was! :( The cats are about 2 and the dog is 5 and no,never had them neutered.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a Pet forum.
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Sarah.OX wrote: »
    It really does sound like one,but it's not. If only it was! :( The cats are about 2 and the dog is 5 and no,never had them neutered.

That might be a start.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You see I'm not really concerned about pregnancy as she seems to be a careful cat and hasn't got herself up the duff yet
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She must be carrying cat condoms
  • StociousStocious Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    Is there a full moon? :rolleyes:
  • wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She must be carrying cat condoms

Like it :D
  • iCandy77iCandy77 Posts: 1,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's always a full moon on DS!! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know how she didn't get pregnant as her mother always did. I feel she is affected at the thought of being the product of a one night stand and she never sees her father. I need to get her counselling so she can deal with her grief,get along with her twin again! And the dog needs to mend his broken heart. I just need the address and location of the best pet psychiatrist around ass is really stressful and upsetting to see my pets in such despair
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You see I'm not really concerned about pregnancy as she seems to be a careful cat and hasn't got herself up the duff yet

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The reason your cats are behaving strangely is they're following the biological imperative and are out looking for sex. It is nothing to do with grief. That there are apparently no entire toms in your neighbourhood so far is remarkably fortunate.

Get them spayed and you may find that, when their hormones subside, you get friendly, loving cats back again.

http://www.fabcats.org/owners/neutering/info.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there some convention going on tonight that I don't know about?
    It's an Olympics backlash, I think.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Introduce your dog to a nice lady dog and he'll get over his crush on kitty 1.

I think kitty 2 is acting sensibly.

It's kitty 1 that's the problem. You'll have to threaten her with the vet if she doesn't behave. Failing that, lock her in and buy some earplugs.
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you'll find that her change in behaviour has a lot more to do with coming on heat for the first time rather than her mother becoming a frisbee on the bypass...

It's what ALL animals do - grow up and become adult, with adult imperatives. Changes ALL animals behaviour patterns.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wrong place for the thread m8 :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    I think you'll find that her change in behaviour has a lot more to do with coming on heat for the first time rather than her mother becoming a frisbee on the bypass...

It's what ALL animals do - grow up and become adult, with adult imperatives. Changes ALL animals behaviour patterns.

The cats are 2 years old so it's unlikely to be the first season.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No....but the behaviour change started some time ago
    I have 2 twin cats and 1 dog. For the past few months,one of my cats(I'll call her kitty 1) has been spiralling out of control. Her mother disappeared,for all I know died,about 6 or 7 months ago and ever since then Kitty 1 has been skulking out at night and just a totally different cat really.

...so, at 18 months or so...
  • Tiger RichTiger Rich Posts: 1,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have 2 twin cats and 1 dog. For the past few months,one of my cats(I'll call her kitty 1) has been spiralling out of control. Her mother disappeared,for all I know died,about 6 or 7 months ago and ever since then Kitty 1 has been skulking out at night and just a totally different cat really. I don't want to imagine the rough areas she's going to or what she's doing with other cats. On more than one ocassion have various tom cats appeared outside the house looking for her and it's absolutely terrible because I hear cats fighting from my bedroom window. I believe she's doing this to numb the pain of losing mother cat,who she was close to. What should I do wit her?? How can I stop her wandering off to god knows where at night,its really stressful cos I keep thinking one day she will not return :(

Her twin,kitty no 2 is the complete opposite. She's dealing with her grief by being really distant and just staying far away from her twin sister as possible. When the tom cats come around,they never come to her,her sister and I hear her meaowing and its making her feel not good enough and self concious about her appearance. They are both cute cats so it"s not the case. She just has bad self image but she obviously misses mother cat terribly too. The worst thing is they were once such close kittens,they've been drifting apart from months. This evening kitty no1 lay on pier while kitty no2 lay on ground a few metres away. A few months ago they'd be side by side!

I'm also concerned for my dog,who is in love with kitty no1. Kitty no1 has given him mixed signals but things got tense when he,to be blunt,tried to have his way with her and she didn't reciprocate however she does purr around with him and it's confusing him and he's so smitten with her. He's heartbroken. He looked longingly at the cat today,tried to rest with her on the pier but she was unresponsive. I've considered introducing him to another female dog. He has no male dog friends I suspect as he's teased for lusting after a cat..I supect..

As you can see my pets are in crisis. I don't even know if pet counselling exists but if it does I NEED it. I've taken pics of them and it really depicts how they're all affected by Kitty No.1's antics..it's not just the way to deal with her grief..going off with every tom cat instead of settling for my dog who I know she loves but she won't get together with him but she thinks if she gets close she'll lose him just like she did mother cat.

The whole situation is really worrying me,my pets used to be happy,not any more! I've been afraid to post in case peole think I'm lying and pets don't do this sort of thing,well mine do and I'm not gonna sell their stories to the papers or anything. This is not a joke thread,so please help me. I'm at my wits end. how can I get my old pets back? :( Thanks in advance if you help,again this is not a joke,please don't threat it as one. Animals have feelings too and I just need some advice for my pets.

Can she read?!
    Forum Member
    No....but the behaviour change started some time ago

...so, at 18 months or so...

Cats have their first between four and ten months.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All that to deal with OP, and you are only seventeen too.:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cats have their first between four and ten months.

Well, they can have - our first was at fourteen...! So it's not as regular as textbooks might make out :( We've had toms that didn't spray until 18 months, several that didn't spray at all...and two that kept on spraying even after they were done!
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have 2 twin cats and 1 dog. For the past few months,one of my cats(I'll call her kitty 1)

Why on earth can you not use their names ? Or are you worried about compromising their privacy and The Sun hacking their little kitty-phones ? :D
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I didn't know cats came as twins:confused: Also since when have cats cared about there appearances and have been able to communicate that to their owners. I love how the Tom cats appear outside the house like they are taking her on a date as well and how the cat doesn't want to get pregnant by a one night stand. Such a responsible cat.

If you are that concerned take them to the vet and tell them you think they are depressed and explain to them everything you have said here.
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,068
    Forum Member
    Why on earth can you not use their names ? Or are you worried about compromising their privacy and The Sun hacking their little kitty-phones ? :D

I am actually ROFL!!!!!! :D