Options

Who will top the Glasgow 2014 Medal Table?

Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,830
Forum Member
✭✭
Well the last Ashes series may have been an easy victory for the Aussies but it looks like it could be a good old ding dong between the Aussies and the Poms at the top of the medal table in Glasgow.

Australia have topped the medals table at each games since 1990 but this year that top spot looks vulnerable for them. We have seen at the Olympics the Aussies aren't quite the force they were. Compared to 2010 England have much stronger teams in Gymnastics, Athletics and Cycling and 2014 also sees the return of sports like Judo & Triathlon which should provide good hauls for England as well.

I think it will be relatively close but this will be the year the Aussies are finally toppled. :)

Comments

• Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm delighted that for once when English athletes stand on top of the podium we won't have to suffer through the awful dirge GSTQ. Best thing about the CGs for me.
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It comes down to the big multi-medal sports like swimming, cycling and athletics. I asuspect that the Aussies will reap a big harvest from swimming and cycling, but athletics will be shared out between multiple nations - probably the Kenyans winning the most golds. They even have a javelin thrower now.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Found this breakdown of sports and medals events.

There are a total of 17 sports and 261 medal events that will be contested at the 2014 Commonwealth Games.

They are:

Aquatics, Diving (10)
    Swimming (44)
    Athletics (50)
    Badminton (6)
    Boxing (13)
    Cycling - Mountain biking (2)
    Cycling - Road (4)
    Cycling - Track (17)
    Artistic gymnastics (14)
    Rhythmic gymnastics (6)
    Hockey (2)
    Judo (14)
    Lawn Bowls (10)
    Netball (1)
    Rugby sevens (1)
    Shooting (19)
    Squash (5)
    Table tennis (7)
    Triathlon (3)
    Weightlifting (19)
    Wrestling – Freestyle (14)

So while athletics has more medals on offer swimming has a lot less nations after those medals and so Australia often dominate.
  • Options
    BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member
    Is there a commonwealth site like the Olympic site that had the timings of all individual or team events.
    Used it to follow Great Britain and India athletes in the 2012 event.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Talksport says the Aussies are 1/50 to come top of the medal table.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bhaveshgor wrote: »
    Is there a commonwealth site like the Olympic site that had the timings of all individual or team events.
    Used it to follow Great Britain and India athletes in the 2012 event.

www.glasgow2014.com has a full detailed schedule on there. Starting to put up start lists for some sports as well
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    As long as we beat the Scots, I'll be happy!
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the Aussie media say they will have a battle with England for top spot, but I think its just so that they can double brag when the do top it.

Australia 1st
    England 2nd
    Canada 3rd

After that not so sure, India were second last time but it was a home games and the number of shooting and wrestling golds - which India dominated - have been reduced.
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    Just as well for Australia the US & China aren't in the CG, even Yorkshire where ahead of the Aussies until the last few days of the last Olympics.:D
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    I like the fact that the Australians take it so seriously. The Aussie/British rivalry in the games lifts the whole thing. I'm sure the Canadians enjoy competing without having their big neighbour south of the border being present to trump them.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Australia. They've topped the table for the last 6 Commonwealth Games, often by a huge distance sometimes getting more than double the gold medals of the second ranked country. I know that the exact roster of events can change from year to year but never drastically.

2010 - 1st = Australia 74 gold 2nd = India 38
    2006 - 1st = Australia 84 Gold 2nd = England 36
    2002 - 1st = Australia 82 gold 2nd = England 52
    1998 - 1st = Australia 82 gold 2nd = England 32
    1994 - 1st = Australia 88 gold 2nd = Canada 41
    1990 - 1st = Australia 52 gold, 2nd = England 46

The last time Australia didn't do it was the last time it was in Scotland. Could be an omen, but I doubt it.

Interesting little stat from there is that during the same time period, the only times England weren't second place was when the hosts beat them to it.
  • Options
    BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member
    India would probably come 3rd.
    Although compared to other nations it usually brings it's strongest possible squad, only Saina Nehwal is missing the games and even then India should win medals in the Badminton.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like I might have got this wrong and that England may actually do this.

3 golds ahead of Australia at this stage. Just looked at the boxing as all their medals are yet to be decided and England have slightly more semi finalists than Australia do there.

Are there any sports or events that haven't happened yet that Australia are particularly strong in?
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    sodavlac wrote: »

3 golds ahead of Australia at this stage. Just looked at the boxing as all their medals are yet to be decided and England have slightly more semi finalists than Australia do there.

Are there any sports or events that haven't happened yet that Australia are particularly strong in?

I think there's still 4 more cycling events where the Aussies have strong teams, but then so do England......not sure who's taking part as there are professional team races in Europe this weekend which might take precedence over the Games
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sodavlac wrote: »

They have a good team in Hockey

Curret standings after today are:

Gold > Silver > Bronze > Total

1 ENG 38 35 32 105
    2 AUS 35 32 39 106
    3 CAN 22 7 22 51
    4 SCO 13 12 14 39
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I predicted will be close - Gymnastics Apparatus finals & Boxing should provide a decent haul for England.
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its going to be very close.

There are still a large number of gold out there to get. England should do well in gymnastics hoping for at least 6 of the 10 remaining golds. Should pick golds in squash as well and boxing. Diving and road cycling could be split with Canada in diving and NZ in cycling also in the mix.

Athletics is a tough call for England, australia have good field event athletes. Powerlifting 4 golds who knows.

AUS are favourites for both hockey golds and netball

Whoever ends up on top we can at least say the complete dominance of AUS is over well until the next games in AUS.

Enjoy
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually don't think it's going to be THAT close, the sports where the Aussies are likely to dominate are single medal sports like hockey, netball etc while England's stronger events have more medal opportunities, like the gymnastics and boxing.
  • Options
    speedyboispeedyboi Posts: 391
    Forum Member
    I think its pretty certain that England will top the medal table which would be quite an achievement as England have only topped the table once since 1966, and that was the last time the games were held in Scotland 28 years ago! England didn't even top the table when the games were held in Manchester in 2002.
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose the Aussies will be satisfied they've at least got the ashes back now, and the fact they won it 5-0. England need those back.
  • Options
    iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well England have had a great couple of days - 8 golds ahead of the aussies now, that should be enough.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    England bossing this now. Pissing all over Australia. I love it.
  • Options
    hannahhannah Posts: 13,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great couple of days for England hopefully there will be more gold to come as well and like the fact we are ahead of Australia
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a look at the medal table broken down by sport - it makes interesting viewing. About 95% of Australian golds have come in just 4 sports - Swimming, cycling, shooting, athletics. By contrast, England have been picking up golds almost everywhere.
  • Options
    benjiman_LFCbenjiman_LFC Posts: 1,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    9 golds clear now. At the start I thought we might get to within 10 of their total. Now I'm thinking we may get 10 more than them.