Gay storylines

spudatospudato Posts: 1,596
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Do we really need two gay storylines three if you count the lesbions,it's a bit overkill,hardly the only gay in the village.:D (Emmerdale)

Comments

• Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spudato wrote: »
    Do we really need two gay storylines three if you count the lesbions,it's a bit overkill,hardly the only gay in the village.:D

Which soap are you talking about? Emmerdale?
  • spudatospudato Posts: 1,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which soap are you talking about? Emmerdale?

Yes sorry.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The more gay storylines the better if you ask me especially if it involves sexy Squire rob
  • rollockingbatrollockingbat Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do we really need two gay storylines three if you count the lesbions,it's a bit overkill,hardly the only gay in the village.:D (Emerdale)

I didn't realise there was a storyline involving "the lesbians" in Emmerdale at the moment?
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    :confused: What are the 3 gay story lines. I suppose discovering Robert is bisexual could count as one but we've moved on since that discovery and it's more of an affair and possible serial killer in the making story line now.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does the OP have any problem with all the straight storylines too?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't realise there was a storyline involving "the lesbians" in Emmerdale at the moment?

Yes 'the lesbians' don't have a storyline. They were already a couple when they moved into the village. They are an established gay couple so there is nothing more storyline wise in that respect they can do. The next 'lesbian' storyline would be them going back to trying for a baby.

Finn's storyline involves him going out with a guy who is HIV Positive and he seems fine with it, it's everybody else's reaction to it is the storyline at the mo. 25yrs after the original soap HIV storyline (Mark Fowler in EastEnders) it seems people have the same prejudices that were around all those years ago.

Aaron and Robert's storyline is different as Robert is sexually attracted to Aaron but he will never leave his wife.

The 3 gay storylines are all different
  • LED93LED93 Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    The amount of gay/lesbian/bisexual's in emmerdale is starting to look a bit unrealistic now. You've got 3 bisexuals - Robert, Lawrence and possibly Vanessa considering her infatuation with Rhona not too long ago, 2 lesbians - Ali and Ruby and 3 gays - Aaron, Finn and Darren. Before I responses feeling the need to remind me what year or century this is, take note, I haven't made any derogatroy comments towards gays/lesbians/bisexuals. I've only pointed out the unusual amount for a small village.
  • Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would all but 2 characters be straight? I think having a handful of lgbt characters in a soap is a good thing. Eastenders have gotten this right recently with johnny, ben,
    Sonia, Tina and tosh on screen and soon a trans character. A gay storyline doesn't always need to happen but a gay relationship long term is kind of on by default just background to the other stories.
  • Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LED93 wrote: »
    The amount of gay/lesbian/bisexual's in emmerdale is starting to look a bit unrealistic now. You've got 3 bisexuals - Robert, Lawrence and possibly Vanessa considering her infatuation with Rhona not too long ago, 2 lesbians - Ali and Ruby and 3 gays - Aaron, Finn and Darren. Before I responses feeling the need to remind me what year or century this is, take note, I haven't made any derogatroy comments towards gays/lesbians/bisexuals. I've only pointed out the unusual amount for a small village.

The size of the village/town downs really matter. Bare in mind soaps focus on a few residents (the ones with the most interesting lives so to speak) rather then all of them itn doesn't matter about lgbt characters at all.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does the OP have any problem with all the straight storylines too?

Only if they involve moronlon
  • StubeStube Posts: 16,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do we really need two gay storylines three if you count the lesbions,it's a bit overkill,hardly the only gay in the village.:D (Emmerdale)

Why not? The LGBT community is so underrepresented as it is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted wrong thread
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    LED93 wrote: »

Well it equals the unrealistic number of murderers, adulterers and thieves then :kitty:
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    I wasn't aware that Emmerdale was a realistic depiction of village life.

Soaps are populist TV therefore it seems right that there should be some diversity.
  • kaiserbeekaiserbee Posts: 4,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually rather love Emmerdale's diversity and ease-with-itself attitude towards sex and gender. It's endearing and makes me quite proud of my favourite soap.
  • UnlikelyHeroineUnlikelyHeroine Posts: 1,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The size of the village/town downs really matter. Bare in mind soaps focus on a few residents (the ones with the most interesting lives so to speak) rather then all of them itn doesn't matter about lgbt characters at all.

I'm from a small village and through the power of Facebook years later have discovered two other kids in my class of thirty at primary school, like me, grew up to be gay. 1 in 10 is now generally considered an overestimate of the numbers of people in the population who are gay, but it does happen.

That said, none of the three of us live in the village now!