Callback Issues from Multiroom

1234568»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    I spoke to a Customer Service Advisor today and they advised me that as long as your MAIN box is connected to your broadband it doesn't need to be connected to your telephone line as call backs are now done via your broadband connection. (Only on your MAIN box) Your 2nd or 3rd boxes do need to be connected to a phone line as call backs are completed by this method on them. Hope this helps.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,328
    Forum Member
    pablo73 wrote: »
    I spoke to a Customer Service Advisor today and they advised me that as long as your MAIN box is connected to your broadband it doesn't need to be connected to your telephone line as call backs are now done via your broadband connection. (Only on your MAIN box) Your 2nd or 3rd boxes do need to be connected to a phone line as call backs are completed by this method on them. Hope this helps.

As it's complete and utter nonsense I'm afraid it doesn't :D

While checking via networking is a planned future upgrade, it's not implemented yet, but 'hopefully' might be done so next year some time?.

You really can't believe anything some CS's tell you, they just 'make things up'.
  • The Old ManThe Old Man Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    I've just had a Sky Multiroom box installed in December. Its located in the kitchen, where there is no phone socket, but the installer was able to plug it into a phone extension socket about 3ft away from where the cables come out of the kitchen ceiling but chose not to. He installed a replacement dish, took the trouble to install a spare cable and connector in case we upgrade to Sky+ in the future, but didn't bother with a phone connection at all and he never even mentioned the phone connection to my partner (I wasn't in when it was installed).

So I'll be interested to see if Sky raise this with me in the future. If Sky can give away free Wifi connectors, they could include one with the installation to use instead of a phone line if connection via broadband is coming soon, the box has an Ethernet connector (which annoys me as you can't use Sky On Demand with this box!).
    Forum Member
    I've just had a Sky Multiroom box installed in December. Its located in the kitchen, where there is no phone socket, but the installer was able to plug it into a phone extension socket about 3ft away from where the cables come out of the kitchen ceiling but chose not to. He installed a replacement dish, took the trouble to install a spare cable and connector in case we upgrade to Sky+ in the future, but didn't bother with a phone connection at all and he never even mentioned the phone connection to my partner (I wasn't in when it was installed).

So I'll be interested to see if Sky raise this with me in the future. If Sky can give away free Wifi connectors, they could include one with the installation to use instead of a phone line if connection via broadband is coming soon, the box has an Ethernet connector (which annoys me as you can't use Sky On Demand with this box!).

You've not been keeping up with the other threads! :D

The phone connection is no longer required for multiroom installs after December 17th 2013 - before that it was a requirement, and if you install was before that, then it was just a lazy/incompetent installer.

There is still no checking via networking though, and no suggestion as to when (or indeed if) it might be implemented.

As far as lazy installs from before that date go, if they contact you then you simply ask them to send an installer out to do the job properly - and they will then mark you as exempt, rather than waste money paying for another install.
  • The Old ManThe Old Man Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    Thanks Nigel, you're right I haven't seen the other threads sorry. ;-)

Mine was installed on the 13th so I'll see what happens if anything. Thanks for the info!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never had multiroom because of the phone line requirements. Neither my main box - nor the 2nd box were I to have one - are anywhere near phone sockets and I don't want extension wires trailing around the house and can't get wireless telephone extenders to work.

Am I safe to get multiroom now, and phone lines will not be required? I believe there's a distinction between new customers and existing customers who do still need phone lines, but I can't make out whether that means existing sky customers, or existing sky multiroom customers. I've been an existing sky customer for 20 years, so does that mean I still need phone lines?

Does anyone know the definitive, current position?
  • Paul000Paul000 Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    As I have stated many times - My multiroom has never been connected to a phone line and is now in France anyway. Everything works fine and we have never heard a sausage. PS Nigel - Surely you find this decision/change rather surprising ? I am of the belief that within 10-12 years the SKY platform will be exclusively broadband and an excellent sky sports trial including F1 is available at Skysport.tv :) !
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chippy99 wrote: »
    I've never had multiroom because of the phone line requirements. Neither my main box - nor the 2nd box were I to have one - are anywhere near phone sockets and I don't want extension wires trailing around the house and can't get wireless telephone extenders to work.

Am I safe to get multiroom now, and phone lines will not be required? I believe there's a distinction between new customers and existing customers who do still need phone lines, but I can't make out whether that means existing sky customers, or existing sky multiroom customers. I've been an existing sky customer for 20 years, so does that mean I still need phone lines?

Does anyone know the definitive, current position?

all "new" multiroom subscriptions enabled after december 2013 no longer require telephone connection. however they do now ask (not demand) that all boxes are connected to the internet.

as you would be a new multiroom subscription then no telephone connection would be required.
  • Paul000Paul000 Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    As far as I know Broadband is not a requirement for SKY to be installed. However it certainly helps if you want to watch sky online at :

time4tv.com
    hqsport.tv
    filmon..com
    skysport.tv

all you do is take out original advertising at tiny little embedded x's and close down anything else and download nothing. After that Sky works fine. Enjoy as I do !
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul000 wrote: »
    As far as I know Broadband is not a requirement for SKY to be installed. However it certainly helps if you want to watch sky online at :

it's not currently mandatory, but it's requested that all multiroom boxes are connected to internet.

suggestion is that it'll be mandatory in the near future.
    Forum Member
    Paul000 wrote: »
    As I have stated many times - My multiroom has never been connected to a phone line and is now in France anyway. Everything works fine and we have never heard a sausage.

You're one of the tiny few who 'slipped through the net', but over the years a great many people have had problems in this way, and a great many have had their subscriptions doubled for breach of contract.

PS Nigel - Surely you find this decision/change rather surprising ?

Not at all, it was as a result of their incompetent installers not bothering doing it in many case :D

As a result they eventually promised to remove the requirement by December 2013, on the basis that it would be replaced by an Internet method - as we all know this still hasn't happened :D but hey kept their promise and removed the phone requirement for new multi-room installs.

I am of the belief that within 10-12 years the SKY platform will be exclusively broadband and an excellent sky sports trial including F1 is available at Skysport.tv :) !

In which case it would just be a poor mans VM :D

Broadcasting via satellite is far cheaper, far better coverage and far more cost effective. This what gives Sky their huge advantage over VM - MUCH lower costs.

I seriously doubt the UK infrastructure would be anywhere near capable in only 10-12 years - we've already got a three tier terrestrial system, a multi-tier system via broadband would be even more confusing.
  • BOOTHY2905BOOTHY2905 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not at all, it was as a result of their incompetent installers not bothering doing it in many case :D

Ha Ha big Dawg still thinks he's the higher power. Muppet