So you think Jason was in the right against Karen?

Comments

• lady*taralady*tara Posts: 19,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jill1812 wrote: »
    All she does is snipe at Jason, she's not sticking up for the contestants.

Yes she does,jason is the the sniper,what do you think karen did wrong to get that insult from him,he is just nasty and if thats your thing good luck.
  • LemonhunnyLemonhunny Posts: 1,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason is there simply for the shock/hate factor. He is there to the Simon Cowell of Dancing on Ice. He fulfils that role perfectly, but in a nastier way than Cowell could ever manage, as Jason does it with the pantomime dame effect.

But whilst I totally agree with what Karen said about Jason (he's a nasty nasty man), I honestly cannot see what purpose she fulfils by sitting on the sidelines. She is nothing more than eye candy because of her relationship with Chris Dean.
  • lady*taralady*tara Posts: 19,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lemonhunny wrote: »
    Jason is there simply for the shock/hate factor. He is there to the Simon Cowell of Dancing on Ice. He fulfils that role perfectly, but in a nastier way than Cowell could ever manage, as Jason does it with the pantomime dame effect.

But whilst I totally agree with what Karen said about Jason (he's a nasty nasty man), I honestly cannot see what purpose she fulfils by sitting on the sidelines. She is nothing more than eye candy because of her relationship with Chris Dean.
    She knows more about ice skating than Jason and emma so she should stay and them 2 should go.
  • lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lemonhunny wrote: »

With all due respect, that's a pile of pants. She was part of a very succesful ice skating partnership. She was there before her relationship with Chris. Comments like yours just contribute to the "woman are just there to be pretty/part of men" myths. Pile of rubbish in my eyes. She has more credentials than Jason to be there, that's pretty obvious (you know her having taken part in international ice skating competitions, presenting her country ... whereas Jason has done what exactly in ice skating?
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with you too OP, and I'm quite shocked that people are supporting Jason on here. Seems to only be a small number, and they are entitled to their views but he's a very nasty man imo.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its scripted panto, lol get over it...
  • IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jill1812 wrote: »
    All she does is snipe at Jason, she's not sticking up for the contestants.
    No she doesn't - she has the expertise to take a dispassionate view of the contestants. She understands the difference between those with a natural aptitude for skating and those who need encouragement in order to build confidence and believe in themselves.

Jason is nothing more than a cloth cap covered bald head trying to attract attention by verbally attacking not only beginners to ice skating but internationals who competed against the very best in the world.

What sort of comparison can Jason offer?
  • unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the end of the day, she is a professional skater, he is a primadonna fashion stylist, she has more of a right to be there than him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unclekevo wrote: »
    At the end of the day, she is a professional skater, he is a primadonna fashion stylist, she has more of a right to be there than him.
    Not even that.

Wannabe maybe.:rolleyes:
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    spendleb wrote: »
    Its scripted panto, lol get over it...

I doubt it - Karen was in tears! Its a problem though for the show - as they simply cannot stand each other.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    Its all pantomime to sell the show to the public.

How many years have we had this type of show? When will the public grasp what its really all about.

Thank God I'm not the only one who thinks this is just a put up, stage managed job.

The pair of them are working to a script. Its like a poor version of the American wrestling. Every time Jason makes any damning comment about one of the celebs, the camera cuts to a pouting, sulking Karen. She ought to go to stage school if she wants to pull this off.
  • winenroseswinenroses Posts: 6,470
    Forum Member
    The only vaguely interesting thing about Jason is what's going on under the flat cap. A weave-in-progress maybe? Apart from that :sleep::sleep::sleep:
  • tonyslim99tonyslim99 Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    Quite simply Karen should not be there. When she was on the panel she couldn't give critisism as she was also coaching them.

Now she doesn't like any critisism of the skaters and still can't . I think they are big enough to look after themselves. They put themselves forward for the show. I know Johnson story is one of great courage but that doesn't mean he should escape critisism. We all know Jason goes over the top but that is part of his act and why he is there.

If you watch each weel you will notice how often Robin Cousins actually agrees with Jason.
  • Rikki65Rikki65 Posts: 8,449
    Forum Member
    I like Jason, Karen asked for it, not professional at all the way she reacted. :)

Sarcasm right?
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,600
    Forum Member
    For some reason Jason commented that Johnson had made a small improvement. That was true in terms of level of attainment on the scale being used to judge everyone else. It was insulting from the other perspective of how much effort had gone in to produce what would be a small improvement for anyone else. Its a minefield and Jason jumped right into it.

Its always been a minefield, because some people watching these shows always vote for the trier who is persistent -regardless of whether they actually achieve anything like the level of the best people competing. This time, the trier is a war hero and is fighting war injuries, so pointing out that actually he isn't much good , is even more dangerous.

I don't know how they get themselves out of this hole as commenting on Johnson's lack of ability will get him more and more votes. They shouldn't have cast him.
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    Thank God I'm not the only one who thinks this is just a put up, stage managed job.

The pair of them are working to a script. Its like a poor version of the American wrestling. Every time Jason makes any damning comment about one of the celebs, the camera cuts to a pouting, sulking Karen. She ought to go to stage school if she wants to pull this off.

I very much doubt that it is stage-managed. Not least because it's the sort of thing that turns viewers off these shows so it would be quite counter-productive to do it deliberately.

I think both Karen and Jason were right and wrong.

Jason made a perfectly valid point that Johnson isn't very good compared to the rest.

Karen seemed to be making the point that his injuries had left him with learning disabilities which made the small progress he had made an astonishing achievement.

I think Karen should have just made that point without making it a personal attack on Jason. As a judge it's his role to be realistic about the actual performance not the story behind it. Jason was perfectly entitled to say what he said and Karen was out of order trying to take Jason to task for it.

Having said that, some of Jason's comments in previous weeks have been needlessly insulting and he needs to stop doing that.

He also shouldn't have made the crack about Karen's opinion not being important because she wasn't on the panel and should probably have made a more sincere apology than the one that he made.

I think they clearly dislike each other intensely and they need to start trying to be more professional. Particularly Karen.

Regards

Julian
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    I like Jason, Karen asked for it, not professional at all the way she reacted. :)

In what way did Karen "ask for it"?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nicki121 wrote: »
    She only defends the skaters who Jason gives a bad critique to.
    Do I think she is just sitting there looking pretty? What gave you that impression :confused:

She defends some more than others though. Sounded like she was obsessed with Johnson tonight!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    winenroses wrote: »
    The only vaguely interesting thing about Jason is what's going on under the flat cap. A weave-in-progress maybe? Apart from that :sleep::sleep::sleep:
    Not a lot.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    This is not "best sob story gets through" show. Good man on getting through what he did, I applaud him. But its wrong to vote him through because of that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tonyslim99 wrote: »
    Quite simply Karen should not be there. When she was on the panel she couldn't give critisism as she was also coaching them.

Now she doesn't like any critisism of the skaters and still can't . I think they are big enough to look after themselves. They put themselves forward for the show. I know Johnson story is one of great courage but that doesn't mean he should escape critisism. We all know Jason goes over the top but that is part of his act and why he is there.

If you watch each weel you will notice how often Robin Cousins actually agrees with Jason.

I've noticed that too. ;)
    Forum Member
    Agent F wrote: »
    In what way did Karen "ask for it"?

Karen took him to task for making a realistic judgement based on actual performance. She had no real grounds to undermine him like that.

Johnson may have made incredible progress relative to his original ineptitude but relative to everyone else he is nowhere near them. She was out of order in her rebuke of his comments which is what prompted his comment which was also out of line.

Regards

Julian
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nicki121 wrote: »
    What has morals got to do with it?
    Jason was absolutely right, if Karen's opinion mattered then she would still be on the panel.
    So because I agree with Jason does that mean I have no morals?
    Good grief.

Don't be ridiculous. Karen is an ice skater, therefore a coach and her advice is of more value in terms of skating. Jason is there for sheer entertainment value and needs to get a grip, he can't even bloody skate.
    Forum Member
    Rossy22 wrote: »
    Don't be ridiculous. Karen is an ice skater, therefore a coach and her advice is of more value in terms of skating. Jason is there for sheer entertainment value and needs to get a grip, he can't even bloody skate.

I've heard this a lot. Not just for DOI but also for Strictly and X-Factor.

Personally, I think it's nonsense.

You don't need to be technically proficient in something to be able to judge it's aesthetic or entertainment value.

If you assume that, then none of us watching at home have any business passing opinions about the skaters either!

Plus there's more than just the skating being judged here. There's also expressiveness, energy, body lines, choreography, posture, musical interpretation and rhythm.

Jason has formal training in Ballet and Dance, he has performed in numerous theatre productions and choreographed and produced many more. Check him out on Wikipedia and you'll find he's more than qualified to pass judgement on all of the aspects that he has been passing judgement on.

If this was just a figure skating competition then I might agree that he's not qualified but it's an ice dancing competition and that gives him just as good credentials as Robin who, being a figure skater, is probably not even as qualified as Jason when it comes to the dancing side.

Regards

Julian
  • summertime09summertime09 Posts: 10,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just read through some of these threads - you seriously think Jason was in the right against Karen? She's an ice dancer - the only one who has danced on ice in pairs out of those four. Jason does make some good comments, which she has agreed with in the past.

How can anyone stand up for Jason? Karen is completely in the right. Jason would rather be malicious and make people feel like shit to ensure more seasons, more press and more money. There comes a point, and he way oversteps the mark.

Its a competition!!! do you think Johnson is there to be patronized or judged on the same level as the other contestants!!!! Karen is an example of what is wrong in our society, the mamby pamby brigade who cant say NO or cant tell the truth, idolize mediocrity.