Why is HMV so damn expensive?

RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Seriously. The prices in that place are insane. :eek:

Sure they do occasional deals such as '3 for £20' but hardly makes up the price of their other items.

Comments

• Red+BloodedRed+Blooded Posts: 4,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they are the ONLY dvd/cd retail shop around, Virgin, Zavvi, MVT (i think that's what it was called), Woolworths, Silverscreen have all vanished within the last few years.

Whsmith is not selling any CD's and only the top 10ish chart dvds and apart from tesco's, asda's and sainsburys which people only really go in when shopping not technogally shopping. HMV is alone.

HMV has no competition so it can be as pricey as it likkes, because most people won't bother to go and look elsewhere (like online).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Supermarkets???
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And you can't really compare them to online retailers based in tax havens or supermarkets which have massive economies of scale and often sell big dvd's/cd's as loss leaders.
  • caz06caz06 Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A few years ago they were brilliant on prices but now they just take the p*ss , everytime i'm in their and look for a dvd and see the price i auotmatically think , i'll leave it and go to Asda,

Lost season 6 was £60 in Hmv , bought in in my local Asda for £28

Desperate Houswives season 1-6 was £200 in hmv, and in my local as Asda each series 1-5 is £10, and season 6 is £24
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    because most people won't bother to go and look elsewhere (like online).

More fool them.I was in HMV yesterday & they are selling the BBC "Sherlock Holmes" dvd for £16.99 which is daylight robbery.Apart from their own website which is selling it for £12.99 you can buy it from amazon for £10.97

I'm just using this as an example.
  • Red+BloodedRed+Blooded Posts: 4,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gerry d wrote: »
    More fool them.I was in HMV yesterday & they are selling the BBC "Sherlock Holmes" dvd for £16.99 which is daylight robbery.Apart from their own website which is selling it for £12.99 you can buy it from amazon for £10.97

I'm just using this as an example.

my fav show Weeds is 22 pounds per season in HMV but on the HMV website they are 11 and under 10 on ebay and amzon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They'll sneak their prices up before Christmas so that they can bring them down again for the winter sale. Then people will think they're getting a bargain when the sale starts.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well they wont last 4 ever, will they.

i wont even buy 3 for 20 dvd's now.

blockbusters are good sometimes.
  • wildmovieguywildmovieguy Posts: 8,342
    Forum Member
    Their not doing it for nothing. They must be making their money when selling at those prices.
  • unopenedboxunopenedbox Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    Who buys in the High Street anyway?

The comparisons I've done show that online HMV prices are usually comparable with Amazon and Play and I've bought quite a few from them as they offered the best price , but like all retailers their prices do range between titles.
    Some they win some they lose
  • lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly... More fool the morons who don't look online. The Indiana Jones trilogy was selling for over £30 at my local store, when i went in a few weeks ago. Online in places such as Amazon... It's a little under £10 I believe. I guess some people have more money than sense.

HMV have no high street competition, so they can basically charge what they like. Same goes for Waterstones. I know no student that buy their books from their... Complete rip offs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lala wrote: »
    Exactly... More fool the morons who don't look online. The Indiana Jones trilogy was selling for over £30 at my local store, when i went in a few weeks ago. Online in places such as Amazon... It's a little under £10 I believe. I guess some people have more money than sense.

HMV have no high street competition, so they can basically charge what they like. Same goes for Waterstones. I know no student that buy their books from their... Complete rip offs.

Your ignoring the fact that a lot of people don't have access to a computer and some that do refuse to shop online. This is the major reason why HMV still exists.
  • UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    If you can, shop on their online shop, the differences in price for most things is ridiculous.

But don't call people morons who shop there, they might not like shopping online and using their card(and don't want to ask others to do it for them), or they like shopping in an actual shop... and believe it or not, there are people who still don't have the internet in their homes.

As for supermarkets, they don't have an awful lot of choice, and they usually(if you are like me) don't have the editions I would like(steelbook for example).
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nobody makes you pay £20 for a blu ray. or 12.99 for a DVD

just wait
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's funny because, in my experience, their online store is one of the cheapest and most reliable on the web! I buy the vast majority of my (new) games, DVDs and Blu-Ray's from them.
  • thats_racistthats_racist Posts: 1,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The website is cheaper and very reliable but the store is a joke....I saw Death Becomes Her on sale for £12.99!
  • McLovin85McLovin85 Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    And you can't really compare them to online retailers based in tax havens or supermarkets which have massive economies of scale and often sell big dvd's/cd's as loss leaders.

I can :D.

At the end of the day, it's easier to get my CD/Blu Ray/Game at a supermarket and it's a lot cheaper.

I had some vouchers for HMV last Christmas and regretted using them paying for something that's twice as much in a supermarket.
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't find their prices that bad generally. It just depends what you're looking for.

I've found myself buying more from HMV in the past than Amazon or Play. For example I've bought all 4 series of Enterprise for only a few pence more than the online price. And, call me old fashioned, but I like actually picking up a product and being able to view/listen as soon as I get home.

I also prefer to have a choice, I often find that supermarkets don't sell all that I want, at least in HMV I've got a chance to find it. If not its off to the internet I go.

Having said that, I've balked at prices for some items in an HMV recently.. one CD is £10 - not that bad really until you look on Amazon and its £3.99.
    Just a game of knowing/guessing how much some items are worth.
  • DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    HMV is expensive but i do like HMV i mean they do have some good deals on sometimes but i got Nightmare on Elm Street for £11 on play.com and in HMV its £28, HMV need to compete more with the online retailers
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I buy all my dvds from asda and play.com. I find hmv to expensive
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,956
    Forum Member
    I very rarely go into the store (mainly because I don't go to Bluewater often) but I do use the website. I think the website prices vary from the store prices, because I don't think it's that bad. I tend to buy a lot of my cd's/dvds online (play.com or hmv)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    DEADLY_17 wrote: »
    HMV is expensive but i do like HMV i mean they do have some good deals on sometimes but i got Nightmare on Elm Street for £11 on play.com and in HMV its £28, HMV need to compete more with the online retailers

I do feel that it is time that most high street stores looked at the online stores as competition rather than an alternative.

A good ten, fifteen years ago - they could get away with saying we don't compete with online stores, but now with more and more people having the ability to go online and find what they want for cheaper, they really need to up their game. I know there are costs that the online stores just don't but some of the pricing is ridiculous.

I was looking for a PS3 game the other day in gamestation, I have already found the price for this game is £22 online, but you can get the same game - pre owned I might add - for £32, they just don't compete in the hopes that people would be too impatient to go back home and order it online and in the society of "I want it now!" types then they could be right in some cases but they still need to compete.

I just don't understand why so many people go to these stores when the online stores are a much cheaper alternative.
  • wildmovieguywildmovieguy Posts: 8,342
    Forum Member
    How can they look at them as competition when THEY own the same online stores? Why would HMV highstreet compete with HMV online? It's under the same umbrella, the same bosses calling the shots. Their not gonna compete with themselves, they will get a sale from you whether it is buying cheap online and waiting 4 days for delivery or getting an extra fiver off you and you getting it there and then.
  • RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found Supernatural Season 5 for £35 in HMV and Season 4 marked as £40. Work that one out... :p
  • I did It First!I did It First! Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its no wonder its going under.

Everything online is cheaper. It makes you wonder what will happen to the highstreet come 20/30 years time.

I think allowing Tesco's the right to sell so much under one roof has damaged Britian's retail industry in so many ways as well.