nico should be disabled because of incest

thejudefam30thejudefam30 Posts: 301
Forum Member
has anybody picked this up? incest causes the baby to be weird because it has one kind of gene.

Comments

• trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    I haven't watched this weeks yet and am not a genetics expert but would have thought relatives having children just increases the chance of problems rather than makes it a definite. However, I was thinking aren't Dodger and Sienna twins :confused: If so I would have thought that would increase the chances of deformity. I wonder if it's going to turn out Dodger and Sienna aren't related at all :confused: I really wouldn't be surprised with the way Hollyoaks is at moment :(
  • Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not neccesarily the case. It often happens, but not always. I think that Nico's hypothetical children would be at high risk of damage though.
  • upsykimsyupsykimsy Posts: 1,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    has anybody picked this up? incest causes the baby to be weird because it has one kind of gene.

It's a possibility, but it's not 100%. I think, from what I remember, the rate of deformities in children of sibling incest relationships was around about 9 - 11 % (as compared to 2% in non-related couples, and 4% in cousins)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know! it's bloody ridiculous!

Nico should have so many problems and having supposedly lived on the street should be ill, as a child of incest has a terrible immune system. Especially considering that Sienna and Dodger are twins!

and a "chance meeting"..... They're really insulting the intelligence of their audience.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First, no it doesn't. It massively increases the chances of genetic defects (because the relevant genes will be inherited twice). Over time, with repeated intermarriage (e.g. first cousins marrying first cousins, generation after generation) these risks increase. Second, 'retarded' is a highly offensive term for someone who has extra needs/low intelligence.

Although his parents are brother and sister, they won't have inherited exactly the same genes from their parents. No siblings, not even twins, are exactly alike. I have dark hair and so does my partner, but our son is blonde (it's from my mother's side). He has blue eyes, his sister has brown.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being twins doesn't increase the chances. Since they are different genders, they came from separately-fertilised eggs, which just happened to have been carried together. When a fertilised egg splits in two, the siblings are identical in every way, including gender.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    qwertye wrote: »
    I know! it's bloody ridiculous!

Nico should have so many problems and having supposedly lived on the street should be ill, as a child of incest has a terrible immune system. Especially considering that Sienna and Dodger are twins!

and a "chance meeting"..... They're really insulting the intelligence of their audience.

This storyline is beyond stupid. Like you wouldn't remember the face of a man who put his penis in you.
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,248
    Forum Member
    upsykimsy wrote: »
    It's a possibility, but it's not 100%. I think, from what I remember, the rate of deformities in children of sibling incest relationships was around about 9 - 11 % (as compared to 2% in non-related couples, and 4% in cousins)

Interesting figures, thanks for that.

I don't know much about genetics but my limited understanding also says that it increases the risks but doesn't make deformity a certainty. Even back in the days where in breeding was virtually common place (cousins marrying cousins marrying cousins so the link became greater with each generation) there only tended to be one out of several children born into a family that had problems.

Fraternal twins don't actually have any closer dna link than normal full siblings as they are result of 2 sperms impregnating 2 eggs rather than one egg splitting after fertilization. So that figure of 9 to 11 per cent would be the pertinent one.
    Forum Member
    I've just seen the Sellsimilar made exactly the same ooints as me earlier in the thread - I hadn't got that far. I'm not a copykittykat - honestly!
  • Amazee-DayzeeAmazee-Dayzee Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The way this is going, they probably won't be twins and Patrick just used Mark as a replacement son for the twin that DID die.

Seriously, this soap is becoming what the soap "Passions" became in the US before it got cancelled. Oh wait, no it isn't yet. We need someone to be a hermaphrodite and have sex with their father. :o
  • Amazee-DayzeeAmazee-Dayzee Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Accidental duplicate
  • BBTObsessedBBTObsessed Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    This storyline is beyond stupid. Like you wouldn't remember the face of a man who put his penis in you.

hahaha :D:D:D:D:D
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope not always some children born of incest can be ok, there is a big chance of genetic abnormalities but it's a luck of the draw situation.
  • mrs.deschanelmrs.deschanel Posts: 3,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A child gets a pair of each chromosome - one comes from each parent. If the parents each have the same faulty gene and are carriers for something the child has 1 in 4 chance of being fine, 1 in 4 chance of having the abnormality and 2 in 4 chance of being a carrier for the abnormality. That is of course if both parents have anything faulty. There's not a big chance of a child having one eye in the centre of his forehead and an extra thumb if the parents are siblings.
  • Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't watched this weeks yet and am not a genetics expert but would have thought relatives having children just increases the chance of problems rather than makes it a definite. However, I was thinking aren't Dodger and Sienna twins :confused: If so I would have thought that would increase the chances of deformity. I wonder if it's going to turn out Dodger and Sienna aren't related at all :confused: I really wouldn't be surprised with the way Hollyoaks is at moment :(

As they are obviously not identical twins they are just brother and sister genetically. there is no difference between them and any other full siblings.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That isn't the reason why.
  • DJ JimmyDJ Jimmy Posts: 7,166
    Forum Member
    The way this is going, they probably won't be twins and Patrick just used Mark as a replacement son for the twin that DID die.

Hmm... Interesting. They could do that, and just retcon (again) any knowledge of Anna knowing him.

Seriously, this soap is becoming what the soap "Passions" became in the US before it got cancelled. Oh wait, no it isn't yet. We need someone to be a hermaphrodite and have sex with their father. :o

But this is probably what they will do instead...
    Forum Member
    I do find it incredibly hard to believe that neither of them recognised the other. Most people don't change that much from 13/14 to mid 20s.

I suppose the only way you can rationalize it is that any twinge of recognition they had they put down to the twin shared psyche thing (even though there is no more link between fraternal twins than other siblings) and subconscious memory from their time together when they were babies.

It's a huge leap though. I certainly remember what the boys I just kissed looked like when I was 14 years old and that is 30 years ago, not 15. I also facially don't look very different - older obviously but obviously the same person.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    I do find it incredibly hard to believe that neither of them recognised the other. Most people don't change that much from 13/14 to mid 20s.

I suppose the only way you can rationalize it is that any twinge of recognition they had they put down to the twin shared psyche thing (even though there is no more link between fraternal twins than other siblings) and subconscious memory from their time together when they were babies.

It's a huge leap though. I certainly remember what the boys I just kissed looked like when I was 14 years old and that is 30 years ago, not 15. I also facially don't look very different - older obviously but obviously the same person.

surely Dodger would remember seeing Patrick at least, he's not exactly forgettable. this doesn't make sense at all.
    Forum Member
    surely Dodger would remember seeing Patrick at least, he's not exactly forgettable. this doesn't make sense at all.

Did he mention having seen the headmaster? Have to rewatch. It's possible that Patrick saw him (we all know what he's like for skulking) without Dodger seeing him. You'd think Dirk would have met the headmaster of the school he was working at though and recognised him.

There are more holes in this than a lump of swiss cheeze!
    Forum Member
    How did Patrick even know they'd had sex - was he watching? It's not like it didn't come out until he found out she was pregnant - he knew by the next day!
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's stupid that they couldn't remember, and from what she/he said they wasn't drunk either, so many plot holes and badly recton.
  • Lady VoldemortLady Voldemort Posts: 10,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Incest *can* cause deformities in children. So can lots of other things. It's not a guarantee that they'll emerge from the womb sporting a cloven hoof and extra nipples.
  • SpiderMan 83SpiderMan 83 Posts: 11,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He said he did not see the dad luckly as it saved him a akward chat (ironically) :D:D
    Forum Member
    I think Dodger's "it was so embarrassing I blocked it out" and Sienna being so utterly odd are supposed to explain them not remembering but it is very weak. Especially as dodger said they did talk a couple of times before the slept together. Did they not excahnge names?