How can we get rid of the "yuck" factor around eating insects?

TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
Forum Member
✭✭
We know that insects are a cheap and plentiful source of protein but when anyone suggests that we should eat more of them, the suggestion is met with a chorus of "yuck", "gross", "that's disgusting" and other such comments.

Back in the hunter/gatherer days, insects were regularly eaten as they were plentiful and easy to catch. Many countries around the world still eat insects and have actually created culinary delicacies from them.

So why are we so snobbish about the idea when they are a great, inexpensive, green, nutritious source of the protein? And how can we end that snobbery?

Comments

• coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    We know that insects are a cheap and plentiful source of protein but when anyone suggests that we should eat more of them, the suggestion is met with a chorus of "yuck", "gross", "that's disgusting" and other such comments.

Back in the hunter/gatherer days, insects were regularly eaten as they were plentiful and easy to catch. Many countries around the world still eat insects and have actually created culinary delicacies from them.

So why are we so snobbish about the idea when they are a great, inexpensive, green, nutritious source of the protein? And how can we end that snobbery?

We have a plentiful supply of more appetising foodstuffs so basically don't need to eat bugs.
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do we need to get rid of the 'yuck' factor? There are other cheap, plentiful supplies of protein without having to eat insects.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have a plentiful supply of more appetising foodstuffs so basically don't need to eat bugs.

We are constantly being told about growing poverty though so I reckon a cheap and plentiful food source like insects are a good way to alleviate that poverty.
  • MudboxMudbox Posts: 10,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We are constantly being told about growing poverty though so I reckon a cheap and plentiful food source like insects are a good way to alleviate that poverty.

If you farm insects, then those insects have got to eat something themselves....you see?
  • TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'd propose the same solution as adopted towards a vegetarian's "yuck" factor around eating meat.

Those who are happy to eat insects do so.

Those who aren't happy don't.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume the OP is having his elevenses of woodlouse nuggets as I post.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mudbox wrote: »
    If you farm insects, then those insects have got to eat something themselves....you see?

Saw a programme last year last year about it, though it was more concentrating on SE Asia where they already do eat insects. Basically insects convert vegetation to protein far more efficiently than mammals/birds. We need to eat protein and this seems to be a good way to convert plants to protein.

I'd give them a go - can't see they are much different to prawns really.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have seen that they eat fried tarantulas in Asia.

I'd prefer a veggie burger personally.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    without googling I wonder how many people know(roughly) how much protein they need to eat each day.
  • MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Insect eating in Europe:
    You can invest in this business -
    http://www.insecteurope.com/
    In particular they aim to farm grasshoppers and crickets and turn them into flour.
    The vision:
    "In the future, Insect Europe BV will become the world's leading edible insect producer, and become the hub of edible insect culture."

They list restaurants where you can eat insects, including one in London with a menu including chocolate covered locusts, a salad with weaver ants and other bugs, ice cream including a baby bee:o, and pan-fried crickets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    Saw a programme last year last year about it, though it was more concentrating on SE Asia where they already do eat insects. Basically insects convert vegetation to protein far more efficiently than mammals/birds. We need to eat protein and this seems to be a good way to convert plants to protein.

I'd give them a go - can't see they are much different to prawns really.

if insects could feed off waste vegetation like hay, then it could work.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,255
    Forum Member
    You can't, your sticking a whole insect in your mouth.
  • Whitehouse95Whitehouse95 Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TerraCanis wrote: »
    I'd propose the same solution as adopted towards a vegetarian's "yuck" factor around eating meat.

Those who are happy to eat insects do so.

Those who aren't happy don't.

But the question is why is the "yuck" factor here in the West? We happily eat prawns, lobsters and crabs in the West, but crustaceans and insects are very closely related, in fact they both sit in the Pancrustacea clade in evolutionary terms, so there's not that much difference between eating a prawn and a locust really. We consider spiders and insects to be 'creepy crawlies' but arachnids are far more distantly related to insects. I suppose it's just a cultural thing, logic doesn't really come into it.
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    trevgo wrote: »
    I assume the OP is having his elevenses of woodlouse nuggets as I post.

What a ridiculous post! Elevenses at half past ten!
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think if they were killed, cleaned and then cooked, we might then not be so 'yuk' about eating them. I draw the line at worms though. I think I'd have to eat them quickly in order to get them down uncooked, unless they tasted okay, or even okay-ish.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    insects are an ingredient in some foods in the west, in the form of cochineal....I wanted some Brandenburg cake, but no, cochineal.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I imagine insects to be all crunchy and fiddly to eat. You'd be picking bits of chitin and legs out of your teeth all day.
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hugh ferneley Wittingstall did a show a few years back about eating slugs. He argued tha we eat snails, so why not eat slugs. They were pretty foul on their own (IIRC) but in the end he made them into a tasty dish. Not for me im afraid
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Grind 'em up and make 'em into lasagnas.
  • ChocolateCheeseChocolateCheese Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coat them in chocolate or breadcrumbs.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    I imagine insects to be all crunchy and fiddly to eat. You'd be picking bits of chitin and legs out of your teeth all day.

In Thailand I saw people selling grubs by the side of the road - looked like they were quickly stirfried in a wok. I never tried them (nor the locusts they also had) as I never saw anyone else actually eat any so wasn't sure if it was a local delicacy or a tourist trap. Pity as I would like to give 'em a go.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    In Thailand I saw people selling grubs by the side of the road - looked like they were quickly stirfried in a wok. I never tried them (nor the locusts they also had) as I never saw anyone else actually eat any so wasn't sure if it was a local delicacy or a tourist trap. Pity as I would like to give 'em a go.

They're usually a by-product of other farming.

The farmers use a variety of methods (everything from dishes of paraffin to high-tech bug-zappers) to keep the insects away from their crops and then empty the bug-traps at the end of each day, pan-fry whatever they've caught and flog 'em on the side of the road.
    Any that they sell are just extra revenue.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a ridiculous post! Elevenses at half past ten!

They take half an hour to catch.
  • ChocolateCheeseChocolateCheese Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I believe they do similar things in certain parts of India too!
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's a handy list of edible bugs :D

https://edibug.wordpress.com/list-of-edible-insects/