Options

2500 Calories GDA

andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
Forum Member
No wonder the UK is obese. This is far too high and I don't think anyone who eats this amount is healthy because it is far too much.

Comments

• Options
    Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not if you're a body building atkins dieting bricklayer on speed
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm 8 and a half stone and 18, quite short for a male, but I have recorded how much calrories i have taken in twice before. The first time it came to 2,670, the second (a few weeks ago) it came to 2,730. Bearing in mind, I am not putting weight on through that....

So I WANT to put on weight, I would need to eat around 3,000+ for it to affect me.
    It's really not that much tbh.
  • Options
    lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    It's not that much for a very active man really.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cycle everywhere and get by on about 1500-2000kcal/day, and I'm still mildly overweight. I'm beginning to think my belly's full of air or something.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No wonder the UK is obese. This is far too high and I don't think anyone who eats this amount is healthy because it is far too much.

It's a possibility that body size / shape / gender and metabolic rate also plays a part.
  • Options
    BillyBattyBillyBatty Posts: 7,011
    Forum Member
    I've always thought it's a lot;
    That's like eating 500kcal for breakfast (3 bowls of cereal might be 450 calories max)
    1000kcal at lunch (like a whole pizza)
    Another 1000kcal at teatime
    No one I know eats this much
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not if you are using up 2500 calories a day.
  • Options
    kim1994kim1994 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member

Perfectly acceptable intake for someone very active especially young men
  • Options
    TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BillyBatty wrote: »
    I've always thought it's a lot;
    That's like eating 500kcal for breakfast (3 bowls of cereal might be 450 calories max)
    1000kcal at lunch (like a whole pizza)
    Another 1000kcal at teatime
    No one I know eats this much

That's assuming no drinks and no snacks all day plus never drinking any alcohol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well a couple of pints a day would add about 400 cals but don't most people only drink alcohol once or twice a week though not every day
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well a couple of pints a day would add about 400 cals but don't most people only drink alcohol once or twice a week though not every day

Other drinks contain calories - tea, coffee, fruit juice, fizzy, etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Most people don't just eat 3 meals, they eat other things during the day. Plus tea and coffee with milk and any other drinks you have that aren't zero calorie.
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You may as well never have a treat at all even you have remained to eating and drinking within the recommended daily intake every day even included having treats is still going to baloon you to morbidly obese over time. :rolleyes:

But I was under the impression that 2500 calories for a man was standard even if you were not exceptionally physically active, or cannot be physically active.

If you are not exceptionally physically active, then trying to judge how much you should eat and drink in calore, the amount of salt, sugar and fat content at most to avoid putting on serious weight is imposslble.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It isn't too high. It's worked out on the metabolic rate of a man of average height and buid who is within the ideal range of BMI and exercises moderately.

*Some* of the UK, and other nations, are obese because they eat far in excess of this amount each day and don't exercise.

Spread out as 3 meals, two snacks and all drinks, which is what is the recommended way to eat healthily, it is a reasonable amount for a fairly active man to consume.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    Considering a McDonalds meal is 1000+ calories, 2500 is not that much really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to the bag of crisps I have just eaten the GDA for calories is 2000 not 2500 anyway
  • Options
    kim1994kim1994 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member
    Ber wrote: »
    According to the bag of crisps I have just eaten the GDA for calories is 2000 not 2500 anyway

Yes thats an average for women and i think 2500 an average for men from memory
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »

2000 for women
    2500 for men
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Confusing wrote: »
    Considering a McDonalds meal is 1000+ calories, 2500 is not that much really.

Do you eat a McDonalds every day?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,168
    Forum Member
    I think it's fine if you are an fairly active, and aren't a freakishly small person.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Anyone who leads an ACTIVE lifestyle, this would be fine.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    But I was under the impression that 2500 calories for a man was standard even if you were not exceptionally physically active, or cannot be physically active

Consuming about 1,300 calories when you don't lead an active lifestyle is probably fine.
  • Options
    rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    I guess 2500 is only a guideline. One of my friends is pretty well built and trains alot, and has around 5000 calories a day.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I struggle to make my net calories. If I didn't exercise my calorie intake should be between 1600 and 1700.

I have been overweight so I understand how people can eat 2500 calories but honestly eating that and not working it off leaves you feeling like crap.

This 2500 for men and 2000 for women thing is just a general guide. Its better to find your actual maintenance intake.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cup of tea has, say 60 calories
    3 of these per day is 180 calories
    3 bags of crisps per day 400 calories
    2 chocolate bars 400
    2 slices thick toast for breakfast plus butter 250 calories
    Meal for lunch maybe 500 calories
    Main meal, say 600 cal
    1 glasses fizzy drink 140 cal

If you manage to eat all this you will almost be getting the recommended 2500