Do soaps have to many homosexual characters in?

BrooksideBrookside Posts: 1,381
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I think a better representation would be good, all gay men seem to end up together in soaps, lack of creativity!

Comments

• _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OAPs have too many homosexuals in them?

Has someone informed the Daily Mail?! :o

Edit: Damn, you've edited the title and ruined my joke. Spoilsport. >:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed, this is normally the case in Coronation Street and definitely Hollyoaks.
  • BrooksideBrookside Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kazza I think I am in love with you!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, who are the gay men meant to end up with? Gay women? Straight women? Straight men? A bit of logic behind your statement wouldn't go amiss!
  • Marcus_SmithMarcus_Smith Posts: 3,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brookside wrote: »
    I think a better representation would be good, all gay men seem to end up together in soaps, lack of creativity!

Huh what have you been smoking what's all this crap about creativity? What would you rather see gay characters all alone forever alone?
  • Emma_HenveyEmma_Henvey Posts: 9,895
    Forum Member
    This is a common problem in Hollyoaks
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »
    Also, who are the gay men meant to end up with? Gay women? Straight women? Straight men? A bit of logic behind your statement wouldn't go amiss!

You wouldn't end up sleeping with all the gay men on your street/square/village and never venture outside it to meet new people. Lazy writing. Even heterosexual characters do this but there is usually more choice unless your name is Jason Grimshaw, Max Branning, Mercedes McQueen or Katie Addyman for example lol
  • los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member

I'd be a bit surprised if they ended up with straight women...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You wouldn't end up sleeping with all the gay men on your street/square/village and never venture outside it to meet new people. Lazy writing. Even heterosexual characters do this but there is usually more choice unless your name is Jason Grimshaw, Max Branning, Mercedes McQueen or Katie Addyman for example lol

Erm have you never heard of Grindr? 😂
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    los.kav wrote: »
    I'd be a bit surprised if they ended up with straight women...

You obviously don't watch corrie then ;-)
  • los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    You obviously don't watch corrie then ;-)

Zing! :D
  • Cal_Scream2Cal_Scream2 Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    I agree with the OP. For example, Ste and John Paul have never shown an interest in each other until now when there's no other gay love interests for them so the show has decided to put them in an awkward phase of loving each other but not a couple...
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So just like real life then - simple arithmetic really. :kitty:

What's 'lazy' about it? All soaps, for obvious financial reasons, have fixed sets in place, where 99% of all action takes place. They're not going to spend hundreds of thousands of pounds setting off with a film crew to the Gay Village in Manchester for instance, just so a gay guy can be shown meeting someone new, away from the Cobbles. It was a miracle we got to see Sawphie go to a homeless shelter off the street, purely so a new lesbian character could be introduced.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with the OP. For example, Ste and John Paul have never shown an interest in each other until now when there's no other gay love interests for them so the show has decided to put them in an awkward phase of loving each other but not a couple...

Actually, yes, I do agree with this; Hollyoaks is terrible for just rotating which gay character is shagging which gay character on any given day. But then it's the same with the heterosexual characters, too, they just tend to rotate and reuse within very close circles, it's just more noticeable with the gay characters because there are less of them.

It is unfortunately a limitation of soaps generally. They revolve around sex and relationships and inevitably that means that romantic interests just go round in circles.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A major problem with soaps is that when a new gay character arrives you just KNOW they're there just got to be a partner to an existing gay character already there. Its almost "only gay in the village" it destroys suspense & is predictable.
    This problem never happens with straight people cos of the large pool of available characters as potential partners.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kazza I think I am in love with you!

Love you too?^_^
  • EEAS1997EEAS1997 Posts: 2,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is surely the same as asking 'Do soaps have too many heterosexual characters?'. As for the 'lack of creativity', a heterosexual character dates the character of the opposite sex, while homosexual characters will date the characters of the same sex. How can the show be creative with this? By all means, for diversity, add more bisexual characters perhaps; but this wouldn't add 'creativity' to the gay characters, so isn't entirely relevant.

I'm seeing a lot of posts regarding producers randomly putting together the gay characters. While this is a valid point, in reality, this does happen. Being homosexual, there are just less people to date... It really is that simple. There are more heterosexuals than homosexuals, hence why in soapland, the homosexual characters are restricted in who they can be coupled with. OK, they could venture out and find someone away from Walford/Emmerdale/Corrie, but even then, I'm sure people would argue that they're only together because they're both gay... Yes, that's the point? The exact reason why two homosexual people date is because, guess what, they're homosexual :D
  • 000Mark000000Mark000 Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    Hollyoaks is full of them.

And my boyfriend says all of the coppers in it are bent too! Which might be a reason to start watching it again, as I am rather partial to a man in uniform.
  • 000Mark000000Mark000 Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    It would appear that there has been a dreadful misunderstanding.

Apparently, he meant that all the coppers in Hollyoaks are corrupt!
  • David MillsDavid Mills Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They do the exact same with straight people, people who live on the same street get off with each other.

They can't get any straight characters to be realistic, so they won't get any good gay ones, it's just what soaps are.
  • Chris MarkChris Mark Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the gay characters didn't end up with other gay men but instead chased straight men, they'd all be portrayed by the Daily Mail as predatory perverts lusting over men by wrecking their marriages or families.

"Disgust as EastEnders' Johnny tries to split up Peter/Lola relationship; what is our PC culture telling our youth by accepting this promisicious homosexuality?"

I can see certain columnists writing an article under that title.
  • Emma_HenveyEmma_Henvey Posts: 9,895
    Forum Member
    000Mark000 wrote: »
    Hollyoaks is full of them.

And my boyfriend says all of the coppers in it are bent too! Which might be a reason to start watching it again, as I am rather partial to a man in uniform.
    000Mark000 wrote: »
    It would appear that there has been a dreadful misunderstanding.

Apparently, he meant that all the coppers in Hollyoaks are corrupt!

lol :D:D:D:D:D You just made my day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    There are a lot in Hollyoaks.
  • trevon1trevon1 Posts: 6,530
    Forum Member
    Who are the gay characters supposed to end up with if not for the other gay characters in the soap?

Plenty of straight characters go through one person after another in the same soap. I don't see how it's different when a gay person does it. Jason Grimshaw was with Tina, Maria, Stella, and then her daughter Eva, all from the same street. Most soap characters do not venture outside their location for a relationship since that's in the nature of the show. I find straight pairings just as random as homsexual ones in soap.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should it not be Do soaps have to many Hetrosexual Characters in 2014? In real life Almost everybody's bi or gay these days lol