EE: Are we supposed to feel sorry for Ben?

VGKidVGKid Posts: 768
Forum Member
✭✭
As a viewer, I'm conflicted as to how the writers want us to feel towards Ben, as judging by the reaction on here, he's not very liked. On paper, he appears to be a character that you would feel sorry for: having meningitis, being abused by Stella, being bullied at school, struggling with his homosexuality, and being related to both Phil Mitchell and Ian Beale, and now Max is wrongfully taking out revenge on Phil by manipulating Ben.

However, on screen, Ben isn't very likeable, like with the whole Ben-Johnny storyline that kind of went nowhere, and it was pretty unnecessary with OldNuBen (or whatever we call him) having already came out as gay - even Phil was surprised that Ben was "straight" again.

I admire the fact that Ben is supposed to be a complex character, but its jarring to not know whether we should feel sorry for him, or hate his guts (he did kill Heather after all). So, I wanted to see what people on here think: Should we feel sorry for Ben? Are we even supposed to?

Comments

• NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe the writers have now left it up to the viewers to decide how they feel about Ben. A divisive/ambiguous one?

The most obvious time they wanted us to have sympathy for him was during Stella's abuse. That went without saying.

I honestly can't remember what motivated him to put Jordan (Lucas' son) in hospital. Was he being bullied or was it to get Abi's attention?

Killing Heather was when he was at his nadir and hated the most. Heather was a lovely person (I detest Kirkwood for not leaving the door open for her return!) and what Ben did was beyond the pale. The moment when Shirley found out that he killed her best friend was the scene we all wanted to see for months.

Personally I can't stand the character.
  • llgxllgx Posts: 1,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never felt sorry for him and I don't now, he's always been annoying to me. Sorry not sorry. :D
  • hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they need to bring the old Ben back just before he went in.
  • lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't stand Ben! He's a vile, smug character! The way he speaks to people is am absolute disgrace, and I don't know who he thinks he is! Ben was written so well, when played by Charlie Jones! He's written absolutely appallingly these days!
  • Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think Ben was ever supposed to be a character we felt sorry for. Didn't he harm someone's baby soon after he arrived on the square in 2006? The Stella abuse plot didn't really paint him in a sympathetic light either as he bullied her for months before she started abusing him (no excuse for her to do it of course). I think Ben is supposed to be a villainous character. Every recast makes him more of an unsympathetic character. There's not much they were ever going to be able to do with the character with Charlie Jones playing him since not many people could take him seriously.
  • ryanr554ryanr554 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think so. Just because somebody is a victim does not mean the producers intend us to feel sorry for them or try to justify their past deeds.

Do we feel sorry for Phil since he is technically the victim in this storyline? I know I don't. Did we feel sorry for Max when he was in jail last year? Did we feel sorry for Carl when Ronnie killed him?

I personally think Ben is a great character and yes, I do feel sorry for him. Not because he is getting conned by Max but because he is only trying to run the business so he can impress his father which is where the root of all his problems lie. It's the same reason why he is scared of coming out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I think he takes after his uncle, he's a narcissist, he's angry, cabable of losing complete control and becoming very physically violent..........Actually, are we sure he isn't Grants? :D
  • jendejende Posts: 21,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't feel sorry for Ben and I really can't stand his character. There's nothing there that makes me feel any sympathy or empathy for him, because he's such an unlikable character. I quite liked Jay, but him being with Ben to me is a big turn off (as in watching not sexy related turn off I hasten to add!)

I kinda want him to have killed Lucy so he'd be banged up for good and we wouldn't have to see him again. I never got what Johnny saw in him, even if he was only trying to help, I couldn't see why he'd bother. So yeah, I'm not keen!
  • eejmeejm Posts: 1,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I kind of feel bad for him in his current situation. He's being ignored by his father and stepmother and manipulated by both his pseudo-girlfriend's father and his cousin's angry new husband, all for something he had no part in. Now Ben is really naive and trying so very much to be a hardman that he's missing the forest for the trees, but in this instance he's being hosed by so many people at once for reasons beyond his control and I feel for him.

Ben should take Johnny's postcard to heart and not try to be something he's not - he's not straight, he's not a gangster, and he doesn't (yet) have any head for business. Ben, my dear - concentrate on being a good mechanic, hang with friends, and find a nice boyfriend. Or leave the damn Square and find all that stuff. Just don't try to be something you're not.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm finding it hard to believe that Ben would be taken in by Max (and Charlie).
    Ben has been in prison and is quite 'streetwise' and cunning. He's not an innocent who would be taken in easily.

I like Ben as a character due to his unpredictability, he is a nasty piece of work though and high on my list of people who could have killed Lucy.
  • Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    haphash wrote: »
    I'm finding it hard to believe that Ben would be taken in by Max (and Charlie).
    Ben has been in prison and is quite 'streetwise' and cunning. He's not an innocent who would be taken in easily.

I like Ben as a character due to his unpredictability, he is a nasty piece of work though and high on my list of people who could have killed Lucy.

Ben might have been to prison and be streetwise but he can still be out of his depth when it comes to running a business. He so desperately wants to impress Phil which overrides anything else.
  • _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ben is his own worst enemy. He had a genuine chance to make a fresh start when he got out of jail and he blew it, first of all by getting mixed up in some dodgy stuff on the night Lucy was murdered and then messing things up with Johnny, who could have been a lovely boyfriend for him if he'd just admitted he was gay. He's now stringing Abi along who really doesn't deserve to be lied to in this way, and trying to come across like a business man despite having NO experience in running a business. He tries too hard but he never gets it right.

That's not to say that I don't feel sorry for him; you can tell that he's a lonely, rejected kid deep down and I don't think there's any feeling in this world stronger than desperately wanting approval from a parent but never really getting it. I do find him quite an interesting, ambiguous character. But at the same time he often comes across as hilariously out of his depth which just makes me roll my eyes at him more than anything else.
  • BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    I felt sorry for him when he was the boy who danced to Lady Gaga but each time the actor changes he gets colder and less sympathetic. I can't stand the new Ben. The actor is wooden too.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I kind of feel sorry for Ben, he lost his parents (the ones he classed as his parents at least) when he was young. Kathy moved to South Africa so Ben wasn't anywhere near the Mitchell's because she knew that they(especially Phil) were toxic and they would ruin her son. Ben should have stayed with Ian and Jane, who whilst they weren't perfect were better than the Mitchell's and would have accepted Ben for who he was. The Mitchell's go on about family but you are only family if you match their ideal. Ben has spent half his life trying to be the son that Phil wants, not the person he wants to be. That has to hurt and effect you, always knowing that you aren't the son your father wants. Kathy would be spinning in her grave seeing what the Mitchell's have done to Ben.
    Forum Member
    elliecat wrote: »
    I kind of feel sorry for Ben, he lost his parents (the ones he classed as his parents at least) when he was young. Kathy moved to South Africa so Ben wasn't anywhere near the Mitchell's because she knew that they(especially Phil) were toxic and they would ruin her son. Ben should have stayed with Ian and Jane, who whilst they weren't perfect were better than the Mitchell's and would have accepted Ben for who he was. The Mitchell's go on about family but you are only family if you match their ideal. Ben has spent half his life trying to be the son that Phil wants, not the person he wants to be. That has to hurt and effect you, always knowing that you aren't the son your father wants. Kathy would be spinning in her grave seeing what the Mitchell's have done to Ben.

Good post! If Max gets one over on Ben and Phil finds out it will make the situation worse than ever. He will be so angry at and disappointed with Ben. How will that affect Ben? He will go off the rails more than ever.
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    I would guess we are probably supposed to and I do to a point even though he killed Heather because it was an accident and it must be really hard being Phil Mitchell's son and being gay!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    Can someone clear something up for me I haven't watched in a while. Is he with Abi? I thought he was gay??
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    KarenCole wrote: »
    Can someone clear something up for me I haven't watched in a while. Is he with Abi? I thought he was gay??

Ben is still gay but is in denial, he liked Johnny and they did kiss but he wanted Phil to accept him and later there was an ep where Ben called Johnny a **** and Lee chinned him and Abi later tried to kiss Ben but he rejected her and then started going out with her to try and convince himself that he isn't gay but he still is!
  • princesstinprincesstin Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, he's dating Abi because he's pretending that his homosexuality was "just a phase", despite the fact he was clearly attracted to Johnny before Johnny left.
    Forum Member

He was attracted to Johnny but if he suspected someone saw him making a move on Johnny he would aggressively push him away and make out Johnny came on to him. He is now dating Abi to make believe he's straight.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't watch when he was on before but I don't feel sorry for him now. Why was he getting so offended that Sharon said he doesn't know business? He doesn't know it. I know he wants to impress Phil, but wouldn't it be better to simply ask Sharon to teach him how the businesses are run so he can help out properly, rather than do some silly dodgy dealings.

And straight out of prison he burgled a shop, then buried evidence from a murder case. Seems he brings it all on himself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    Thanks those who answered my question that makes sense now
  • Polly DoodlePolly Doodle Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    He is becoming an interesting character and I can sympathise with his situation but not how he is handling it. He is actually quite unlikeable as a person even if one can understand why he became the way he is. He comes over as a self-centred user. This may be due to his immaturity but I suspect that is going to be the way he develops as a character in the future and age will merely make him more adept at concealing it. Perhaps he is another Nick Cotton in the making.

He seems to combine some of the worst traits of his father and his half-brother. I am trying to think of some redeeming qualities but at present they seem well hidden.

I think it is the character rather than the actor who is wooden and that is because of the thickness of his protective shell.
  • newyorkcitygirlnewyorkcitygirl Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's an 18 yr old lad with no experience of running a business, yet alone multiple ones, so why he's feels so hurt is beyond stupid. Deluded idiot.
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he's a villain now. He'll be like Janine, in the sense there'll be moments in which he shows signs of being a decent human being (perhaps when he finally has an openly gay relationship) but he'll always end up doing something unsavoury.

At the moment, he's an utter arse.