Grantchester - ITV 6th October

Comments

• Gill PGill P Posts: 21,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xNATILLYx wrote: »
    i dont normally watch period dramas but the trailer was good so i gave it a shot.
    I am enjoying it so far
    It really brings me up short when someone calls it a period drama! It was set in the year I left school! :o
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    surfking wrote: »
    The fact this is yet another ITV period murder mystery/detective series will inevitably draw comparisons to Agatha Christie's Marple and Poirot.

It doesn't really bring anything new to the table, does it?

What's also kinda out of character for this ITV murder mystery/detective show is that each episode is only an hour long.

these are just detectives in another town, could replace any for midsomer or lewis. Run of the mill stuff.. When are british tv going to make big series like the americans make, like 12 or 24 episodes and a cliffhanger on each so you have to keep watching.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »
    these are just detectives in another town, could replace any for midsomer or lewis. Run of the mill stuff.. When are british tv going to make big series like the americans make, like 12 or 24 episodes and a cliffhanger on each so you have to keep watching.

Like Happy Valley, Broadchurch, Prime Suspect, Silent Witness, Cracker, The Fall, Line Of Duty, Thorne or Luther?
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like Happy Valley, Broadchurch, Prime Suspect, Silent Witness, Cracker, The Fall, Line Of Duty, Thorne or Luther?

We should be thankful for small mercies these days.

It's new, a drama, not another naffin' cookery programme, it's watchable and there's no subtitles to be read.

What more can we ask for?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »

Series that go on and on and on..I can only speak for myself, but find most of them really boring as nothing much happens in each episode..
  • ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    Gill P wrote: »
    It really brings me up short when someone calls it a period drama! It was set in the year I left school! :o

I know exactly what you mean!!...:):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ChrissieAO wrote: »
    I know exactly what you mean!!...:):)

We have to remember, that "those bright young things" (possibly), who are making these "retro dramas" (a much more appropriate name in my opinion) think it is "period."

With no knowledge of the era, they have to research to get it right, where those who can remember it from their childhood can immediately recognise when they get bits wrong.
    Yes, I know it doesn't really matter to the story line, but it's amusing when we find such mistakes so obvious.
  • CharentonCharenton Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, they did. But when we saw her with her head on the stairs, wasn't it was supposed to be a new carpet? But perhaps I wasn't listening closely enough. I can't see why with guests coming to stay, you'd have no carpet at all on the stairs.

At the beginning of the story it was mentioned they were between carpets, Later, when the vicar was having his lunch/tea, his housekeeper mentioned something about carpets. He left the table in a hurry. I think it reminded him that when he was there earlier there was no carpet on the stairs but appeared on the stairs later. I don't remember whether or not we saw the stairs beforehand. I wasn't paying too much attention to what I was seeing. It's pity I've deleted the recording otherwise I would have checked it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charenton wrote: »
    At the beginning of the story it was mentioned they were between carpets, Later, when the vicar was having his lunch/tea, his housekeeper mentioned something about carpets. He left the table in a hurry. I think it reminded him that when he was there earlier there was no carpet on the stairs but appeared on the stairs later. I don't remember whether or not we saw the stairs beforehand. I wasn't paying too much attention to what I was seeing. It's pity I've deleted the recording otherwise I would have checked it.

If they were "between carpets" as you say, then that would explain it. That seems like a "ploy" as even in those days, you wouldn't take the old carpet up before the new one arrived and with that sort of money about, given a house like that, you wouldn't fit them yourself.
    But thinking back, carpets were mentioned before the vicar and his sister left the vicarage. So maybe that was an obvious clue I missed.

I've still some doubts about the age of the TV, (the production values interest me as much as the drama, if, as I found with this, it was watchable but not outstanding). From what I fleetingly saw, it seemed to have push buttons for a four gang tuner between two rotary controls.
    So the cynic in me would say, "those would be for BBC, BBC, BBC and err.. BBC," as that was the only channel in 1953.
    But maybe I'm doing them an injustice and they may be the minor rotary controls for horizontal hold, vertical hold, etc., But these are usually at the back as they don't normally need touching.
    I might have a look for it on one of the vintage audio/visual message board sites. But then again...
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only just caught up with the second episode, and I thought it was much better this week.

I am enjoying the development of the main characters more than anything, I think.

I'm also loving the new curate. :D I think he will bring humour to the series.

Also, shallow alert, but I thought James Norton looked even lovelier this week. :D

Jean Marsh in next weeks episode I see. :)
  • mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really enjoying this!
  • StigidStigid Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stigid wrote: »
    What an extremely poor and uninspiring first episode I thought.

Episode 2 even worse, incomprehensible rubbish.

That's it...
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why can't you understand it? If I, at the grand old age of 78, can what is there about the stories which is so incomprehensible?:confused:
  • REVUpminsterREVUpminster Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV looked at the BBC series Father Brown and the success of sales abroad and decided to duplicate it. Bicycles, housekeeper, grumpy detective, 1950's setting. The only original card they can play is he does not have to be celibate, Father Brown will be up to 35 episodes by next year and is seen in more countries than Ripper Street.

American networks always copied each other and still do.
  • TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the book, Amanda breaks it off with Guy because his reaction to the theft of the ring is so shallow.

I think we'll see him again in the TV series but whether we get to the altar. who knows?

Ah ok, didn't know that as I haven't read the books. But it is quite plain that the writers are aiming for a happy end. I hope so, anyway :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    nethwen wrote: »
    I've only just caught up with the second episode, and I thought it was much better this week.

I am enjoying the development of the main characters more than anything, I think.

I'm also loving the new curate. :D I think he will bring humour to the series.

Also, shallow alert, but I thought James Norton looked even lovelier this week. :D

Jean Marsh in next weeks episode I see. :)

Not shallow - it's the truth. I do think Mr Norton is lovely.
  • Hot ButterflyHot Butterfly Posts: 2,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only just watched 2nd episode on record. Yes a bit better than first week. Actors all good and I like Robson Green. Don't know why but I think it's a bit meh. Will prob watch via record when nothing on tv I want to watch but all in all rather flat.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Could someone explain the sweet William twist, I didn't get it?

:blush:
  • jtnorthjtnorth Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    Could someone explain the sweet William twist, I didn't get it?

:blush:

I think in the MP's love letters to the woman he was having an affair with, he signed himself Sweet William. So when his wife said Sweet William twice at the party she was signalling she had realised what was going on.

And I agree that I think the maid said that they'd put the old carpet back down to hide the blood, and when Sidney remembered that there shouldn't have been any carpet he knew what it must be hiding. Though thinking about it I don't think the husband said stair carpet when he said they were between carpets.

James Norton and Robson Green are the best thing about this. They are both great and James Norton is proper gorgeous. I wish they had stronger plots though. I am a bit worried I'm going to get tired of the love story soon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Thanks jtnorth :)
  • YeraYera Posts: 6,200
    Forum Member
    jtnorth wrote: »
    James Norton and Robson Green are the best thing about this. They are both great and James Norton is proper gorgeous. I wish they had stronger plots though. I am a bit worried I'm going to get tired of the love story soon.

Yes , yes and yes again!
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoying this
  • ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    The first episode failed to grab me, but I thoroughly enjoyed the second episode. I am so glad I gave it another chance. I really love the whole Sidney/Geordie partnership and the housekeeper should have her own spin-off.

I've just bought the book and will enjoy comparing how the two compare.
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm loving this as well. I think the best friend that he is in love with (can't remember her name) loves him too, so why is she marrying the other guy? Purely for money? If so he is better off out of it.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I quite liked it.

OT though, I'm feeling slightly irritated by the intro people calling it Grant Chester. When I had to read the Brooke poem "The Old Vicarage at Grantchester" at school it was always pronounced Gran (as in can) Chester. Can anyone in the Cambridge area tell me how it's pronounced locally. Sorry to be so nitpicking but it's really bugging me!

P.S. Is there honey still for tea?

I want to see the church clock at 10 to 3;-)

NB...Ditton girls are mean and dirty,