Options

SSD prices are falling

noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
Forum Member
✭✭✭
£153 for a 512GB drive,.

Getting better and better, I may get another one when I update next year. My 128GB one is ok, but I have to be careful where I save stuff.

Comments

• Options
    TrueCardTrueCard Posts: 680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well they can't release the 2TB ones for a fiver just yet otherwise there would be no economy.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1TB are down to about £300...I'm tempted.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    £153 for a 512GB drive,.

Getting better and better, I may get another one when I update next year. My 128GB one is ok, but I have to be careful where I save stuff.

That drive has actually been at £149 on Amazon for some time.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-CT512MX100SSD1-512GB-Includes-Adapter/dp/B00KFAGCUM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416051591&sr=8-1&keywords=512gb+mx+100

I already have a Hybrid, so I would like the 840Evo, but I can't justify £91 for a 250GB. I just don't have the cash for the the 512GB at present.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shhftw wrote: »

It may have been at that price at Scan for a while, but I just had a email yesterday to tell.
    If I can get something the same price or close to it from another company than Amazon I will do. I try to avoid amazon these days if I can.
    I already have a Hybrid, so I would like the 840Evo, but I can't justify £91 for a 250GB. I just don't have the cash for the the 512GB at present.

I have a seagate hybrid which is now used for Linux, that is 512GB, the 128 SSD is used for windows and some of my larger software.

I think I can justify £149 for the 512GB just about, not worth getting one yet as I can not fit it due to having to move the computer, so it will have to wait for a couple of months.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »

The problem with one that big is how reliable is the technology, a lot easier to back up 512GB than 1TB. I know my Corsair SSD have been rock steady since the the update a couple of years back or so, but this is still pretty new tech.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Picked up 2x a couple of weeks ago for £329 (each).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem with one that big is how reliable is the technology, a lot easier to back up 512GB than 1TB. I know my Corsair SSD have been rock steady since the the update a couple of years back or so, but this is still pretty new tech.

No its not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    Picked up 2x a couple of weeks ago for £329 (each).

How you getting on with them? I replaced my 2TB drives in my main PC with 3TB drives for data storage but my 512GB SSD is pushing it really for programme storage etc. I get back to the UK near the end of December and I've no doubt I'll upgrade to a 1TB drive then.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £153 for a 512GB drive,.

Crucial's SSDs, as far as I know, have always been a lot cheaper than the others at the same capacities. When SSD capacities currently available from the other companies start coming down in price a lot, that's when prices will truly be coming down. 1TB SSDs might start coming down in price when 2TB ones start being released.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How you getting on with them? I replaced my 2TB drives in my main PC with 3TB drives for data storage but my 512GB SSD is pushing it really for programme storage etc. I get back to the UK near the end of December and I've no doubt I'll upgrade to a 1TB drive then.

Fine, no problems at all with them (Crucial M550s), ive also got a Cruicial M5 960gb (which is my Windows drive), which i bought when they just came out, and thats still fine also, never missed a beat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No its not.

It is compared to the spinny drives. i still like my SSD and it was on of the best updates I done on my computer, the machine now boots in seconds and since I change form Linux to Windows and back to linux, I have to disable windows fast start system. so with normal drives it would take even longer to start.

Also Vegas is so quick to start up, with all the plug ins I have for it, it would take a long time on a normal drive.

But these SSD drives do wear out, mine will last for another 8 years according to SSD life. I expect I will get a larger one long before then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Crucial's SSDs, as far as I know, have always been a lot cheaper than the others at the same capacities. When SSD capacities currently available from the other companies start coming down in price a lot, that's when prices will truly be coming down. 1TB SSDs might start coming down in price when 2TB ones start being released.

If they are cheaper, are they as good? My Corsair is great, sure the speed of it now do not compete with the newer ones, my mate got a Crucial, I think it is about 14 months old, and it is certainly faster than mine going by the blurb, I did not notice it i in use mind you.

I noticed Amazon is selling a Samsung 500Gb one for £162 and a 1TB for £294.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It may have been at that price at Scan for a while, but I just had a email yesterday to tell.
    If I can get something the same price or close to it from another company than Amazon I will do. I try to avoid amazon these days if I can.

I have a seagate hybrid which is now used for Linux, that is 512GB, the 128 SSD is used for windows and some of my larger software.

I think I can justify £149 for the 512GB just about, not worth getting one yet as I can not fit it due to having to move the computer, so it will have to wait for a couple of months.

Don't cut off your nose to spite your face. Once you've bought the drive, pretty much your warranty is direct with the manufacturer anyway. Crucial won't care where you bought it, but IME their customer service is pretty good.

I would jump at the 256GB Crucial if the write speeds weren't middling (for SSDs). Or at the 840Evo at sub £80. Problem is I can barely afford that.

I've junked all the dead data off my 750GB hybrid and I'm running at about 130GB. A 250GB would work, but I'd feel more comfy with a 500GB+ just don't have the £150 any more than I can justify half that on something half the size I'd probably want to upgrade later.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they are cheaper, are they as good? My Corsair is great, sure the speed of it now do not compete with the newer ones, my mate got a Crucial, I think it is about 14 months old, and it is certainly faster than mine going by the blurb, I did not notice it i in use mind you.

I noticed Amazon is selling a Samsung 500Gb one for £162 and a 1TB for £294.

The Crucial's 256GB MX100 is good enough for me. I don't copy large files that are hundreds of megabytes in size (can't see the point in that) to other places on the SSD. All I want it for is much faster loading/opening times than you get with an HDD. Images in webpages now nearly always appear in full instead of looking as if the storage device is struggling. But yeah, it does me until PCIe SSDs start getting brought out.....and then reach a cheap enough price.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shhftw wrote: »
    Don't cut off your nose to spite your face. Once you've bought the drive, pretty much your warranty is direct with the manufacturer anyway. Crucial won't care where you bought it, but IME their customer service is pretty good.
    You mean buying from Amazon? I am not one of these people that say they will never use amazon, I will use if need be. I just try not to.

I know the warranty is with the manufacture. i do not know what crucial is like in that way. i was impressed by Corsair. i tried to update the firmware as i was having problems with the SSD and it went belly up, i have no idea why. So I sent it back to Corsair, 3 days later a brand new updated drive saying any further updates will work fine and they have. Not that any updates have been available for a while.
    I would jump at the 256GB Crucial if the write speeds weren't middling (for SSDs). Or at the 840Evo at sub £80. Problem is I can barely afford that.

I've junked all the dead data off my 750GB hybrid and I'm running at about 130GB. A 250GB would work, but I'd feel more comfy with a 500GB+ just don't have the £150 any more than I can justify half that on something half the size I'd probably want to upgrade later.

Being off work for 3 months at the moment, I got to watch my money, while I do get paid full wages, I do not get the overtime. I am in no rush anyway, i will sort it out when I update the computer, I can't do it at the moment anyway as I can not move the computer, so if I have a problem hardware wise I am stuck.
    i have got mates who will move it for me, but it means bothering them.

Anyway, by the time i get around to buying a SSD, the prices may have gone down a bit more, I can then get rid of the 250GB hitachi I have got, which is showing it's age now.
    Got a 2TB spinny drive in as well, far too many drives :), need to sort them out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Crucial's 256GB MX100 is good enough for me. I don't copy large files that are hundreds of megabytes in size (can't see the point in that) to other places on the SSD. All I want it for is much faster loading/opening times than you get with an HDD. Images in webpages now nearly always appear in full instead of looking as if the storage device is struggling. But yeah, it does me until PCIe SSDs start getting brought out.....and then reach a cheap enough price.

Putting the video files I am working with on a SSd will decrease the import times into Vegas, so for me it would be useful,, at the moment all video files are stored ont he 2TB, which is fine, but for a long edit, it can take a while for Vegas to string it all together.
    some of that is done to CPU power, but most is down to the hard drive.

this is why a 512GB SSd would be useful for me.

Going to start using the camcorder more once I get myself sorted, Get more interested in the city and county i live in and video some events that goes on and other things.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Putting the video files I am working with on a SSd will decrease the import times into Vegas, so for me it would be useful,, at the moment all video files are stored ont he 2TB, which is fine, but for a long edit, it can take a while for Vegas to string it all together.
    some of that is done to CPU power, but most is down to the hard drive.

this is why a 512GB SSd would be useful for me.

Going to start using the camcorder more once I get myself sorted, Get more interested in the city and county i live in and video some events that goes on and other things.

Yeah, that'll be the read speed though. I was meaning the write speed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, that'll be the read speed though. I was meaning the write speed.

True, but it will also write to the drive for temp files and they will be pretty large, so fast write speeds will also be important.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sort of thinking about going back the EVO, because I can't shake the feeling that Crucial have taken shortcuts with the MX100, especially if other companies are charging £140+ for their MLC SSDs. MLC is supposed to be more expensive than TLC as well. I didn't think of this when buying it. Time to have a think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True, but it will also write to the drive for temp files and they will be pretty large, so fast write speeds will also be important.

Yeah, but because Sony Vegas will be encoding, this will mean that only maybe about 4+ megabytes a time will be wrote to the SSD. I'm assuming that you're importing the video file to be encoded.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought a 256GB Crucial SSD about 18 months ago and it has already packed in. Was quite cheap to at the time and it was areal shame when it went as it improved the performance of my laptop so much. I now have a SanDisk 120GB Extreme Pro II SSD in the system and it's back up and running. I would steer clear of Crucial in the future due to getting such a short period of usage out of the drive and it gave problems for a while before finally dying that just made using the laptop a chore.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, but because Sony Vegas will be encoding, this will mean that only maybe about 4+ megabytes a time will be wrote to the SSD. I'm assuming that you're importing the video file to be encoded.

That is true, read time is more important to me, but i would still like pretty fast write speed as well.

I know one thing, I forgot how slow USB2 is, taking some footage of my old SD hard disk camcorder, taking ages. The HD camcorder uses a SD card and the card reader is USB3, much quicker.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    I bought a 256GB Crucial SSD about 18 months ago and it has already packed in. Was quite cheap to at the time and it was areal shame when it went as it improved the performance of my laptop so much. I now have a SanDisk 120GB Extreme Pro II SSD in the system and it's back up and running. I would steer clear of Crucial in the future due to getting such a short period of usage out of the drive and it gave problems for a while before finally dying that just made using the laptop a chore.

The problem with electronics is that theres always something thats going to die earlier than expected, the life span is generally given as a MTBF in hours of usage now those who did maths and drew bell diagrams and did some probability will know that its any drives life could be anything from DOA to the end of the universe in theory for a normal drive or so many writes for a SSD.

did you ensure the SSD drive had the latest firmware and some drives have been known to be crap on certain versions?
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...Getting better and better, I may get another one when I update next year. My 128GB one is ok, but I have to be careful where I save stuff.
    Apparently, any 3rd party SSD is now unsuited to OS X 10.10.

http://channeleye.co.uk/apple-use-makes-it-harder-to-evolve/
    It is nice to have a monopoly if you can.

If that all applies to existing SSD upgrades then I hope users kept their original 'Apple SSD'.
    On a positive, at least it is better than having the SSD soldered down.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    did you ensure the SSD drive had the latest firmware and some drives have been known to be crap on certain versions?
    Yes, I regularly checked for software updates and made sure I had followed all the steps to get SSD's working in the machine and turned off disk fragmenting etc. which were known to cause problems with it. The disc is dead now, the laptop won't recognise it at all when starting up or when trying to install a copy of Windows on to it. Everything is going great so far with the SanDisk one, fingers crossed it stays that way.