Options

I think our cat is unhappy with us!!!

Sally77Sally77 Posts: 1,006
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has this ever happened to anyone else, or do cats hold grudges against owners?

We recently went away for 3 nights. Normally when we go away we have used a very good cattery, which she has always liked and been happy going there, however this time our cattery was full.

As it was only a few days away, and quite last minute, my best friend offered to come and in and feed her twice a day. When we got back, Pumpkin (our cat) ignored us, she was more than happy for us to feed her etc, but wouldn't come up to us for a cuddle of anything! to make matters worse, when my friend came round with the key, Pumpkin went to her for cuddles! I asked my friend if everything was ok and she said no problems and said she stayed with her for a while each day to make sure she wasn't lonely.

Everything is back to normal, but was she trying to teach us a lesson? didn't know if cats are normally like this :)

Comments

• Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Cats punish their humans in many ways. Some can be quite violent and bloody.
  • Options
    Sally77Sally77 Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cats punish their humans in many ways. Some can be quite violent and bloody.

thanks for that. no nothing as awful as violent, just a bit of a girly strop!
  • Options
    MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    I think cats have mastered the art of sulking. Tabitha always punished me like that whenever I went away but she was always back to her normal self within a few hours. My Bernard holds out for about an hour before coming for cuddles.

I suppose cats just want to let us know they're not impressed with our behaviour.
  • Options
    RainboWelshRainboWelsh Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    yea when i went away tigger was not happy, but he is now used to it
  • Options
    wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They love to make us feel guilty :D
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My cat went the other way. After leaving her in the care of a totally competent, cat friendly neighbour for a week I get home to a previously aloof cat now wanting attention all the time. Althoug I like that she is more affectionate, I do worry that any major behaviour change has been caused by her being very upset.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,505
    Forum Member
    Yeah, it's normal imo, animals are strange creatures :D

Cats especially.
  • Options
    CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    this is definitely normal behaviour, cats really have these hidden depths and are more like humans than we think :D dont you just love them.
  • Options
    19711971 Posts: 1,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haha dont you just love em..
    I had to go away for a week in May for work, my OH is at home but boy do I get the cold shoulder when I'm back!
    Only really lasts about 4/5 days...
  • Options
    Mitten KittenMitten Kitten Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first time I went away and left mine being fed by a neighbour for a couple of days, she flung herself at me on my return. She had spent the weekend hiding and had no human contact so was pleased I was back. Since then, I take her to the cattery instead as at least she gets cuddled and looked after. What happens now though is that as soon as we get home, she gets out of her carrier, ignores me, walks to the back door to be let out, has an inspection of the house and garden and then for the next 2 days, keeps finding me wherever I am in the house, shouts at me (angry meow) then walks away. At night though, she comes and lies on my bed purring. Last time she came back, she acquired a licking habit. It is kind of cute, but I hate having to hide under the covers as it is the only way I can stop her licking my arms and face red raw.:D

She is off for a weeks holiday at the end of this week. I wonder what she will do this time.:D