Options

Lewis Series 8 -UK Premiere Date ?

Comments

• Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    Laurence Fox is an odd one. His acting seems to have been a bit off i these two episodes. It doesn't help that he's one of the ugliest man ever to have appeared on my screen.

No way. I would ;-)
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    I really don't think the typical Lewis storylines work well split over two weeks. It's very difficult to remember the relationships between the different characters or some of the more subtle clues and hints after a week. I spent a lot of the second episode trying to recall who was who, and even who the second corpse was.
    I'd much prefer three two hour episodes than six episodes thinly spread out.

No 'two hour' crime drama should be spread over 2 weeks. Specially as they were made to be shown in one go. That was the whole point of starting to make 2 hour crime dramas!

I know I keep saying this but it pisses me off that they'd never cut a Midsomer Murder into 2 weeks. So why Lewis?!
  • Options
    davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    No 'two hour' crime drama should be spread over 2 weeks. Specially as they were made to be shown in one go. That was the whole point of starting to make 2 hour crime dramas!

I know I keep saying this but it pisses me off that they'd never cut a Midsomer Murder into 2 weeks. So why Lewis?!
    Record both episodes, then watch then one after the other (cutting out the adverts). Problem solved!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davie1924 wrote: »
    Record both episodes, then watch then one after the other (cutting out the adverts). Problem solved!!

I haven't got anything to record on these days. I watch very little TV now. Lewis would be one of the few things I would watch.

Anyway I came in 5 mins after it had started tonight, so I haven't bothered. If it had been a full uninterrupted episode, I would have watched. Instead I will try to watch both episodes together on catchup.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    davie1924 wrote: »

I said last week that's what I do. I have never watched an ITV programme 'live' since I got an HD box (I've got Tivo now) so that when I watch it I can cut out the ads. Can't remember the last time I sat through ads!

I watched the first Lewis story after the second part was on, to watch it in one go,. I'll be watching this one after next week as well.

It just annoys me, that;s all.
  • Options
    chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really good tonight. Plus its only three weeks until the dvd is out. ill sit and go through 1-8
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reckon that Tabby's mum has been having an affair with her brother-in-law and that she accidentally got pregnant by him instead of via the IVF treatment, so the baby won't be a suitable donor.

Also, why haven't they looked at the knives where Chloe works? Didn't they say the knife was from a restaurant or similar? Hathaway went in to the bar to talk to her but didn't look at knives as far as I could tell. It might be easy to see if one was missing and if they were the same kind as the murder weapon.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    I said last week that's what I do. I have never watched an ITV programme 'live' since I got an HD box (I've got Tivo now) so that when I watch it I can cut out the ads. Can't remember the last time I sat through ads!

I watched the first Lewis story after the second part was on, to watch it in one go,. I'll be watching this one after next week as well.

It just annoys me, that;s all.

I start watching my recording, fifteen minutes after the programme starts so by the time it got to 10.00pm, I'd "caught up with it" having fast-forwarded through the adverts.

I'm more bothered by the intrusive music, it's little more than, "noodling," often just a succession of four notes going up or down a scale. The composer "Barrington Pheloung" gets a full "page" credit each week.
    Better music in other drama series, with far less credit recognition. Yet a lot of people like it. My view if you're constantly conscious of it, it isn't doing its job properly.
  • Options
    greygrey Posts: 5,037
    Forum Member
    So at the beginning I thought "who could have done it"
    Looking through the list of actors the most well known is Jason Done , so it probably would be him
    Through both episodes he was the most unlikely character to be the killer
    Respected eye practicioner, father of a terminal ill daughter , loving family man
    No, it couldn't be him

In the end I was right , he did them all in
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed this one. Watched last week's on ITV Player at 8 pm, then watched the second episode live. Made all the difference.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite enjoyable - I managed to stay a few steps ahead of Lewis and Hathaway this time. That the baldy prof was a fake and the student sussed him out from the constallation (though the exact detail of the little lion being 'made up' later escaped me!) And I realised the sleazy astromoner must the sick kids dad and the sperm donor too.

But sat here this morning I can't recall why the optician killed the student in the first place? :confused: All the other murders led on from that too.:(
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    Quite enjoyable - I managed to stay a few steps ahead of Lewis and Hathaway this time. That the baldy prof was a fake and the student sussed him out from the constallation (though the exact detail of the little lion being 'made up' later escaped me!) And I realised the sleazy astromoner must the sick kids dad and the sperm donor too.

But sat here this morning I can't recall why the optician killed the student in the first place? :confused: All the other murders led on from that too.:(

He thought she was going to injure the astronomer when he was needed as the sperm donor, especially after the student tried to hit him with her car.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    Quite enjoyable - I managed to stay a few steps ahead of Lewis and Hathaway this time. That the baldy prof was a fake and the student sussed him out from the constallation (though the exact detail of the little lion being 'made up' later escaped me!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Minor#History
  • Options
    mustard99mustard99 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I completely agree with all posters who have said that two one hour episodes does not work as well. I now find myself watching Lewis once a fortnight.

In addition, I used to love the fact that it was pretty much Lewis and Hathaway, with a bit from Laura and Innocent where necessary. Now there is too much of a 'team' - we now have Angela Griffin's character and Laura is more central - which for me detracts from the Lewis/Hathaway relationship which was fab and what I watched for.

I'll continue to watch but its not what it used to be.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mustard99 wrote: »
    I completely agree with all posters who have said that two one hour episodes does not work as well. I now find myself watching Lewis once a fortnight.

In addition, I used to love the fact that it was pretty much Lewis and Hathaway, with a bit from Laura and Innocent where necessary. Now there is too much of a 'team' - we now have Angela Griffin's character and Laura is more central - which for me detracts from the Lewis/Hathaway relationship which was fab and what I watched for.

I'll continue to watch but its not what it used to be.

I am still puzzled as to why Oxford Police have two inspectors doing the job of one. If Lewis is going to stay they should at least give him a promotion and let him take more of a back seat.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone else here who doesn't think the 2 programme format works. I had forgotten who some of the people were or had done in the first bit. Oh for the days of watching the whole thing on demand and cutting out the adverts.😊
  • Options
    Trudi MonkTrudi Monk Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    I am still puzzled as to why Oxford Police have two inspectors doing the job of one. If Lewis is going to stay they should at least give him a promotion and let him take more of a back seat.

Is he not now their version of New Tricks?
    He retired at the end of the last series and came back as a consultant on a year long contract, or maybe I just thought he did.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trudi Monk wrote: »
    He retired at the end of the last series and came back as a consultant on a year long contract, or maybe I just thought he did.

The way it seemed to be explained is that Robby would be on a one year rolling contract, but he isn't a "consultant", but is still a serving police officer with his old rank.

Really though, why if they were so short of officers should he be baby sitting a fellow inspector?.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone else here who doesn't think the 2 programme format works. I had forgotten who some of the people were or had done in the first bit. Oh for the days of watching the whole thing on demand and cutting out the adverts.😊

The two-episode version of Lewis has the least comprehensible "previously" sequences ever. They may as well go straight into the second episode and not bother with the random clips of random people saying random things.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We Sky+ both episodes and watch as one on Saturday evening, spinning through the breaks, next week and previously, it's done and dusted in 90 minutes

BTW ITV Player on Sky has no ad breaks.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »

I find the set-up rather annoying as it implies that Hathaway can't do his job properly. No wonder Hathaway seems grumpier (and more boring) than he used to be.

And with Lewis and Hathaway working together, the new sergeant is redundant, surely?

I'm not enjoying this series. The second story was better than the first, but by the time the dénouement occurred, I was struggling to care.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Trudi Monk wrote: »
    No. He is magically back as a Police Officer event though all over the Country Police Forces are getting rid of officers to make big savings.
  • Options
    chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor maddox!! i wonder if she will survive but i knew something was off about that phone call
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    It was obvious something like that was going to happen as soon as they introduced the boyfriend/husband at the beginning especially after the fake 999.

I reckon
    Hathaway can't handle being DI and has snapped
  • Options
    Lisa_NaylorLisa_Naylor Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor maddox!! i wonder if she will survive but i knew something was off about that phone call
    I don't know she'll definitely live, but she's in hospital next episode according to the TV magazine listings. I reckon she'll recover.