[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    I really hope its snows on Christmas day that would complete the day

Christmas card mentality :kitty:
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here we go again. Though it is a bit late this year the usual "White Christmas" thread.

Those who hope for snow at Christmas, just consider all the old people, grannies and grandpas, mums and dads and the children, all disappointed because the snow is stopping them moving on the roads and congregating for Christmas dinner and delivering their presents to each other. No Christmas dinner and no presents, oh what fun it all is.

Think of the power cuts as power lines come down and roads are blocked with snowdrifts. No Queen's Christmas Day address on TV, no electrics, so we might never know how her friends in the Commonwealth are faring.

Snow is very so jolly.
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    I'll be having snow, but that's because I'll be in Canada :)
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Caxton wrote: »
    Here we go again. Though it is a bit late this year the usual "White Christmas" thread.

Those who hope for snow at Christmas, just consider all the old people, grannies and grandpas, mums and dads and the children, all disappointed because the snow is stopping them moving on the roads and congregating for Christmas dinner and delivering their presents to each other. No Christmas dinner and no presents, oh what fun it all is.

Think of the power cuts as power lines come down and roads are blocked with snowdrifts. No Queen's Christmas Day address on TV, no electrics, so we might never know how her friends in the Commonwealth are faring.

Snow is very so jolly.

I couldn't agree more. I think those wishing for snow are living in a fantasy world, based on the rose-tinted Christmas card mentality :kitty: That song White Christmas doesn't help either! Personally I hate the thought of a white Christmas. In fact I'm hoping for a mild winter and then I can look forward to Spring.
  • Options
    Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    Looks like mostly westerly winds for the next 10 days = no chance of snow, unless you are on top of a mountain.
  • Options
    Blackjack DavyBlackjack Davy Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    People keep saying it's going to be a white Christmas and the met office are not saying anything.

It is very cold then it does warm up which can lead too snow.

In the 50 years I've been on this earth I've known it snow precisely twice on boxing day and thats it, and it was gone in a day or two.

Stop being stupid.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I really hope its snows on Christmas day that would complete the day

Not me. My daughter has a long way to travel.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was just looking at the weather according to Google when I remembered seeing this thread. http://i.imgur.com/BucAbXl.jpg

Mind you, it says there are currently 6mph winds and it's blowing a gale outside!
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    sodavlac wrote: »
    Was just looking at the weather according to Google when I remembered seeing this thread. http://i.imgur.com/BucAbXl.jpg

Mind you, it says there are currently 6mph winds and it's blowing a gale outside!

Trust me, you don't get snow lying at 5 deg C like it suggests. All the symbols are for rain anyway. Wet snow or sleet, immediately or quickly melting, is all you'd get if that. None being the most likely scenario in Manchester.
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A single snowflake falling on Christmas Day constitutes a white Christmas.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A single snowflake falling on Christmas Day constitutes a white Christmas.

You are correct, but that is not what these snow lovers want to see,. They want (not me!) to see millions of snowflakes turning the ground white over large parts of the country. Why, I will never know, evil white rubbish that causes chaos.

This year, happily a "white" Christmas will certainly not be on the cards but just maybe those with a snow fetish, could see see one or even two snowflakes up north:D
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like being another green Christmas, thank goodness.

Had a little think about this earlier, and then it came to me in a flash of inspiration. Why don't those people who love a white Christmas, spend the festive season in a part of the world where it snows a lot. There they could hire a log cabin and spend hours at the window watching the wondrous snowflakes fall.

Alternatively, if it did look like being white here (such as in 2010), those of us who don't like snow, could travel to warm destinations abroad. Madeira, the Canaries, the Caribbean. The list is endless.
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Forecast here for snow on Xmas eve and day! :)
  • Options
    all_nightall_night Posts: 7,615
    Forum Member

And that would be where?

Would people please post where they are when discussing weather. It doesn't have to be exact address, but a town or county would be nice!

I'm in Northamptonshire, not hoping for anything much.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As the previous poster said... WHERE FFS? Otherwise your post is pointless.
  • Options
    Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I very much doubt it will snow by Christmas now. Thank goodness. I don't know why people in Britain are obsessed with this notion of a 'white Christmas' it's been decades since we had one, at least in south England. In all my 36 years there has never been snow on Xmas eve day etc. Let it go!
  • Options
    Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't agree more. I think those wishing for snow are living in a fantasy world, based on the rose-tinted Christmas card mentality :kitty: That song White Christmas doesn't help either! Personally I hate the thought of a white Christmas. In fact I'm hoping for a mild winter and then I can look forward to Spring.

I agree with this totally. And if they did get their white Xmas, and everything came to a halt, they'd moan about it.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Santa had had his sleigh converted to wheels, the reindeer for a 6-litre turbo engine (he is not a Green supporter) he is also threatening strike action for increased fuel allowance and increased pay otherwise the kiddies will not get any toys this year. He was full support from his elves.
  • Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read a quote from a Met Office guy on the BBC News app today saying that there's more chance of snow on Easter Day than there is on Christmas Day. :D
  • Options
    electronelectron Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    all_night wrote: »
    And that would be where?

Would people please post where they are when discussing weather. It doesn't have to be exact address, but a town or county would be nice!

Still NO Place names being posted
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    all_night wrote: »
    And that would be where?

Calm down calm down! :D

Sweden , near Gothenburg. Up to 15cm forecast!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    Not me. My daughter has a long way to travel.

I bet she's got her fingers crossed for a blizzard.
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey, how soft have we become.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    I don't think it will but will be nice for a white Christmas :)

Updated 20 December at 13:58
    Heavy rain will affect North Wales on Tuesday. Given high river levels from recent heavy rain, the public should be aware of the risk of further flooding, for example affecting some roads.

^ that's for us here :( Wet n Windy
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will quite happily have a non White christmas.

If it snows, I'm stuck on the hill I live. And I don't get to spend the day with my family.