Options

Addicted to heroin?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :( Oh my. I hope you called the police. No family loyalty should leave you in physical danger.

My brother was addicted to heroin for a while, and yours doesn't sound like a heroin reaction, so you are probably right when you say 'and god knows what else'. My experience of living with a heroin addict was mainly of endless thieving and not much washing or conversation. It does seem to make people pretty ruthless. Precious personal possessions (my entire record collection for example, my mother's engagement and wedding rings) simply vanished overnight.

I know he wasn't on heroin when he atacked me as he just sits and looks like he's about to fall asleep when he's on heroin. He has also sniffed petrol, buzzed aerosol cans, taken Valium and anything else he can get his hands on.

Like you said, when on heroin he would steal money, from me and I have also had perfume and clothes vanishing mysteriously. I think he's stolen them and sold them to get money for his next fix. He's also on a methadone program which he takes everyday.

I didn't call the police because I felt it would have made him worse, and both my parents were there, he only stopped when they intervened. Both my parents are in their mid 60's I didn't want to put them through any more stress as they have been through hell with him over the years.

Looking back I wished I had as I now as my neck gets sore everytime I move my head in either direction.

The thing with my brother is, he doesn't seem to think he has a problem. If you tell him he needs help he'll just say there's nothing wrong with him and that he's not addicted to anything.
  • Options
    CranberryappleCranberryapple Posts: 12,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I do..3 in fact. All were very nice and hard working people with families and general all round good family lives.. up until 3 yrs ago. Now they are all 'estranged' from their families and just drift about.. Now when I see them they look drawn, gaunt and just basically out of it. Very sad :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member
    Wonkey and funlovingirl...your stories just re-affirm why I hate this drug.....I know that some of my old friends cleaned out their parents and made their life a misery when we were all younger.

I called round to console the mother of an old friend who had recently died from drug related problems....After an hour or two of chit chat and talking about the circumstances surrounding his death, she confided with me that she`d taken out a 5k loan on his behalf...He claimed the bank was chasing him for an old debt.....So more than 30yrs after his first whiff of the red dragon he was still bleeding her dry....It`s just so sad as she`s now into her 80`s

Another old friend keeled over and died in front of his elderly mother a few years ago...again drug related.....It must be a living nightmare for the families of those afflicted by heroine/drug addiction.

It`s not so much the drug and it`s affects....but what an addict will do to get the money to buy the stuff....basically anything...and I do understand why.....Some would argue that there is a case for the NHS giving addicts the heroine they crave.

I remember watching a documentary on the subject....and addicts who were prescribed heroine on the NHS lived normal lives and held down responsible jobs.....The powers that be need to look at the whole subject with their eyes open...and accept the case for prescribing heroine to some patients....Instead of being blinkered by ideology
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember watching a documentary on the subject....and addicts who were prescribed heroine on the NHS lived normal lives and held down responsible jobs.....The powers that be need to look at the whole subject with their eyes open...and accept the case for prescribing heroin to some patients....Instead of being blinkered by ideology

You might be right - I know some drugs workers think it is a waste of time prescribing methadone as it is no safer than heroin at all. People with extremely painful illnesses can legally be prescribed heroin, and seem to stay pretty well on it, so I agree that it is the uncertain nature of the drug and dangerous means of ingesting it that seem to kill people.

I don't think there is any easy answer at all for families in the meantime. My brother left home and literally disappeared for three years. We didn't know whether he was alive or dead, and I had gloomy thoughts of finding him one day and having to tell him that our parents were dead. Eventually we traced him and found him cleaned up and working (:)) but he does have health problems, years down the line, that will probably be with him forever.
  • Options
    ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes - my stepdaughter. She was a total nightmare to live with. She stole my credit cards and jewellery and let dealers into the house while we were at work. It was the worst time of my life. I'll never ever forgive what she did to us.
  • Options
    Bom Diddly WoBom Diddly Wo Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Artymags wrote: »
    Yes - my stepdaughter. She was a total nightmare to live with. She stole my credit cards and jewellery and let dealers into the house while we were at work. It was the worst time of my life. I'll never ever forgive what she did to us.

Just some of the reasons why even with heroine I believe there should be a relaxation of the laws to at least allow the government or health service to become official dealers and in some cases provide it free. The drug itself is very addictive and hard to get off but a lot of the problems are caused by its ilegality and stigma.
    With a clean regular suply people would know what they were getting and would also be able to stop more easily by reducing their dose gradually, something it is impossible to do with street drugs as they vary so much.
    I hope things are better for all of you now.