Options

Am I Right To Feel Such Guilt Over My Pets Impending Doom...

Comments

• Options
    NRGNRG Posts: 3,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »
    Aww. There's nowt wrong with crying though. Imagine what the poor vet has done and seen. You won't be a fool, you'll be someone who has the balls to show they care.

Yes, you'll feel like shit, but being there is important. I took the decision to put our cat to sleep after a stroke, there's a sort of closure you get, even if all you do is beat yourself up over it.

Sorry to hear about you poor cat.

Do you think it'd be the right choice if I go on Monday - I suppose in the weeks and months to come I might regret it if I didn't.

Really I suppose there's no shame in showing emotion.

Thanks for your comments.
  • Options
    QuicheofDeathQuicheofDeath Posts: 2,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NRG wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about you poor cat.

Do you think it'd be the right choice if I go on Monday - I suppose in the weeks and months to come I might regret it if I didn't.

Really I suppose there's no shame in showing emotion.

Thanks for your comments.

Will you at least try the suggestions that you have been given for financial help?
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    I suppose in the weeks and months to come I might regret it if I didn't.

It's the right choice to go to the vet. That's exactly why I'm saying you should do it. Memories are important.

michelle666 makes a good point, the pets forum people will be there for you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chessie wrote: »
    So young too, I'm so sorry.

It would definitely be worth asking the vet if you could pay in instalments. My vet has done this for me in the past for a large and unexpected bill, so please do try, they may agree.

Problem stems from the fact my dogs chances of success might be minimal despite surgery - that's the gamble you take.

Do you take the gamble or do you not? £2k isn't much over a beloved pet some might argue, but in the current climate, what with other commitments, it's quite a lot.:cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    op try this organisation http://www.tailwaggersclubtrust.com/ click on 'about us'
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    Problem stems from the fact my dogs chances of success might be minimal despite surgery - that's the gamble you take.

What does the vet advise? they wouldn't let the op go ahead if it meant an unecessary procedure and your dog was in pain - can you be open with them about the money? Even if there was only 1% success rate, I would urge you to take it, if at all financially possible with the avenues suggested.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    i'm sorry to hear your going through so much anquish, espcially this close to new years, coming from a line of dog lovers/trainers, i can understand the magnitude of this,

apart from the above suggestions you could go round family/friends/work collegues/etc and maybe see if you can get any financial help from them

on the other side of the coin if moneys a serious issue as brutal and callus as it sounds, family and your house comes first, it's nothing to feel guilty about in the slightest,

i wish you the best of luck and i hope things get better for you, i'm so sorry to hear your having such a hard time

happy new year and god speed
  • Options
    Ja'mie KingJa'mie King Posts: 8,445
    Forum Member
    What a pointless and unhelpful post - why bother?

Which in equal turn makes your even more pointless:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do you take the gamble or do you not? £2k isn't much over a beloved pet some might argue, but in the current climate, what with other commitments, it's quite a lot.:cry:

Please take your dog for a second opinion. You never know, another vet may tell you something else entirely.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey there. I know how it feels to have a pet put to sleep. I'm sorry to hear your situation.

I think you should see what help you can get from PDSA or others.

It might even be worth going to local paper. If you advertise your predicament, you could find there are wealthy pet lovers willing to give you money. Might sound crazy but there are generous people out there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which in equal turn makes your even more pointless:)

Mine made you smile though! :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mine made you smile though! :p

No it made me stick my fingers up at my com,puter.

only kidding. i love you really. :)

your my best friend
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Catpee wrote: »
    Hey there. I know how it feels to have a pet put to sleep. I'm sorry to hear your situation.

I think you should see what help you can get from PDSA or others.

It might even be worth going to local paper. If you advertise your predicament, you could find there are wealthy pet lovers willing to give you money. Might sound crazy but there are generous people out there.

omg, im a bad bad bad person.

i read that as it feels great to put a pet to sleep:eek:

i used to be a vet nurse, so i know how sad it is i have seen many an animal draw its last brreath:(:cry:cry::cry::(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WindChim wrote: »
    What does the vet advise? they wouldn't let the op go ahead if it meant an unecessary procedure and your dog was in pain - can you be open with them about the money? Even if there was only 1% success rate, I would urge you to take it, if at all financially possible with the avenues suggested.
    I'm by no means in financial difficulties, but as I mentioned in the current climate, money is an issue with one and all, it's the prospect of knowing where does it all end that needs to be addressed.

The vet more or less couldn't rate my pets chances of survival until they explore deeper. She might be fine, on the other hand the problem she's encountering could be irrerversible.:cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    So so sorry to hear that your beloved pet is ill. I pay out £75 a month in insurance which is steep but I just couldnt live with it if lack of money was the reason my pet had to be PTS. I've no idea about your situation financially but I'd urge you to ask the vet about payment terms - I'd have to give mine the chance of life even if it was only a slim chance.
    If you do decide to PTS on Monday please go with her, it's your last act of kindness for your girl - you need to take her to Rainbow Bridge - if you're there she wont be frightened. (((HUGS)))) to you and your wife - it's a shit start to a new year:(
  • Options
    QuicheofDeathQuicheofDeath Posts: 2,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm by no means in financial difficulties, but as I mentioned in the current climate, money is an issue with one and all, it's the prospect of knowing where does it all end that needs to be addressed.

The vet more or less couldn't rate my pets chances of survival until they explore deeper. She might be fine, on the other hand the problem she's encountering could be irrerversible.:cry:

This doesn't make sense. If you're not in financial difficulties and you claim to care about this dog, then why are you having it put to sleep and not doing everything you can to save it? More so, why are you ignoring all the posters on this thread who are trying to help you save your pet without financial cost to yourself? You'd lose nothing by at least trying. Something doesn't make sense here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was with mine when he went. I was sobbing afterwards as I was trying to be calm for him.I'm glad I was with him though, it was my turn to be a friend to him. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to do and had to join Rainbow Bridge to hep me come to terms with it. I'm so sorry for you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you have money, you must pay then. I am single with 2 children. One of my parrots pulled a feather out a few months ago. He was bleeding badly. I ended up spending over £500 on him at the vets. I only work part time. Credit cards are there for a reason.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MsWalker wrote: »
    Please take your dog for a second opinion. You never know, another vet may tell you something else entirely.
    The vet I go to has been the family vet for many years, my mum always used this particular veterinary clinic for many many years, his son has now taken over and I've no reason to believe he doesn't know what he's talking about.

I'd not really question his experience to be honest, however I can understand where you're coming from. I might run it past the wife to hear what she has to say, but she'll probably be in agreement that the vets word is final.:cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    IMHO a second opinion is a good idea - it cant do any harm seen as the outlook for the dog is bleak anyways.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How much will it cost just to have her eye removed? Why the rush if she isn`t in pain? Please do more than just accept this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrsDuBeke wrote: »
    If you do decide to PTS on Monday please go with her, it's your last act of kindness for your girl - you need to take her to Rainbow Bridge - if you're there she wont be frightened. (((HUGS)))) to you and your wife - it's a shit start to a new year:(
    Thanks one and all for your kind words.

She was always close to me, followed me like a shadow, didn't matter where I ventured. She even sleeps at my feet when I'm online - she's my solemate dog if they do exist.:cry:

From what I've read, I think you're right. I'll be there for her on Monday in her final moments.

Jeez this is going to be sight and a half to behold - seeing a grown man break down like some schoolkid.:cry:
  • Options
    orangesmartieorangesmartie Posts: 3,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This doesn't make sense. If you're not in financial difficulties and you claim to care about this dog, then why are you having it put to sleep and not doing everything you can to save it? More so, why are you ignoring all the posters on this thread who are trying to help you save your pet without financial cost to yourself? You'd lose nothing by at least trying. Something doesn't make sense here.

I'm sorry to say that thats been my thought too reading through this thread. If it is your beloved pet you would do anything you could to get them any operation that has a chance of prolonging a good quality of life. The OP doesn't seem to be acknowledging the helpful suggestions given or saying he will try to contact them to assess his options, just keeps talking about cost and financial climate.

OP, if your dog is truly poorly, please consider all and any options that have been suggested here to give your girl a chance. If you find there really is no other option (she's in pain, has no chance) then please please be there for her at the end. It is the very least you can do, settle her for the next part of her journey and let her last thoughts be of you holding her tightly.
    The vet I go to has been the family vet for many years, my mum always used this particular veterinary clinic for many many years, his son has now taken over and I've no reason to believe he doesn't know what he's talking about.

I'd not really question his experience to be honest, however I can understand where you're coming from. I might run it past the wife to hear what she has to say, but she'll probably be in agreement that the vets word is final.:cry:

Its statements like this that make me think this is a wind up. Surely as she is your wife's pet too, and the money would also come from your wife, you have made her aware of the situation before now?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MsWalker wrote: »
    How much will it cost just to have her eye removed? Why the rush if she isn`t in pain? Please do more than just accept this.
    The problem isn't just removing her eye, it's the problem that's behind it.
    The x-ray won't show the cancerous growth which he claims is there, however from the vets experience, he believes removing the eye won't cure the problem, the eye's being removed is the first step in a process.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its statements like this that make me think this is a wind up.
    Thanks for your valuable contribution - you've just made me feel a whole lot better.

I'm sorry, I'm just not thinking straight right now. I've just been delivered the sad news a few hours ago. For the FM's who've posted links, I thank you sincerely - I shall study them right now.

If there's a genuine way of avoiding this, then please believe me, I want to explore that avenue.
This discussion has been closed.