Options

New yellow Lab puppy - help!

123457»

Comments

• Options
    yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    Hi all

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I just wanted to post again now that life has changed dramatically for me.

When I first started this thread, I asked for help and advice on my lab pup. The majority of people on here were fantastic and most helpful. Then I mentioned my fiance was pregnant which seemed to offend a few people as they assumed having a puppy and a baby was a very irrisponsible road to take :rolleyes:

For example.

Since my first post, Bobby the lab was fully house trained within 3-4 months. She also has a dog flap to the conservatory and barks/peeps to be let out if she needs to do her business. 6 days in a week she sleeps straight through the night, usually on the sofa downstairs or her new favourite spot which is on a new fluffy green carpet underneath the baby crib. Sometimes it's on the bed with us too which I know will make some people cringe :)

She also gets two walks a day and loves a swim in the nearby river. She will never be rehomed and remains a happy member of the family :D

Buster the cat has warmed slightly to her. He still rules the house and whilst he has had to scratch her a few times, he ocasionally sniffs her paws when passing (she being on her back and fast asleep :p ). I know they will eventually be good friends.

My son was born last weekend and I've never been more happier in my life. Our labrador is now 10 months old and remains one of the best things about my life.

For anyone out there who has a young pet and is expecting a child, its not a big deal to "cope" with both.

All the naysayers were wrong.

I get up at all hours to help with bottle feeds whilst a sleepy eyed lab watches me from the corner of the room.

Here she is aged a few months,

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f141/pileyrei/Bobby003.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f141/pileyrei/Snow024.jpg

Here she is a month or so ago, catching dead fish :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-ExnNLTxUQ

Happy Monday everyone!

TL

Oh what a beautiful yellow labrador you have, reminds me of mine when he was a puppy, beautiful long muzzle, she looks like a working labrador. Mines 11 years old now and ginger, he went darker and darker as he got older. He is nearly the end of his life now:cry::cry::cry: but we will have another yellow labbie, they are just the most beautiful creatures. Enjoy your beautiful dog, she looks to be having a great life.:)
  • Options
    shakeyershammyshakeyershammy Posts: 18,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aww, your lab is adorable and looks so content and happy! Reminds me of my Archie (black lab) when he was a pup, he was so tiny and clumsy... now he's huge and still clumsy :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love your pictures! She is adorable! Congrats on your newest addition as well :)
  • Options
    technology_lovetechnology_love Posts: 3,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love your pictures! She is adorable! Congrats on your newest addition as well :)

Thank you so much :)
  • Options
    ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reading back, I think I may have posted a bit negatively to your opening post, and for that I apologise. I was trying to be as reassuring but realistic at the same time.

Anyway, I am delighted with your post today. What a beautiful dog you have, and you appear to be a loving, committed pet owners, and I'm sure Aidan and Bobby will be lifelong friends as they grow older together.

All my warmist wishes for the future, Mr & Mrs t-l, Aidan, Bobby and Buster xx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ejm wrote: »
    Reading back, I think I may have posted a bit negatively to your opening post, and for that I apologise. I was trying to be as reassuring but realistic at the same time.

Anyway, I am delighted with your post today. What a beautiful dog you have, and you appear to be a loving, committed pet owners, and I'm sure Aidan and Bobby will be lifelong friends as they grow older together.

All my warmist wishes for the future, Mr & Mrs t-l, Aidan, Bobby and Buster xx

I think thats the nicest post I've ever received on here - thank you :) (and apology accepted :D )

This wasn't to have a dig at anyone in particluar but just to update my situation and prove that my intentions were 100% good and remain so.

All the best
    TL :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aww, your lab is adorable and looks so content and happy! Reminds me of my Archie (black lab) when he was a pup, he was so tiny and clumsy... now he's huge and still clumsy :D

Thanks very much - I love labs, hard work but worth it!
    Just got back from our morning walk, nows she's sleeping :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh what a beautiful yellow labrador you have, reminds me of mine when he was a puppy, beautiful long muzzle, she looks like a working labrador. Mines 11 years old now and ginger, he went darker and darker as he got older. He is nearly the end of his life now:cry::cry::cry: but we will have another yellow labbie, they are just the most beautiful creatures. Enjoy your beautiful dog, she looks to be having a great life.:)

whoops - forgot to say thank you to you :o

I hope your 11 year old stays a little longer :)

I can't even begin to think about my one coming to the end.
    Actually have tears in my eyes :o

She is such an important part of our family, even if she is only ten months. I can't wait for my son to play with her when he's bigger.

Are animals just the best?!

TL
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reading you update brought a lump to my throat. I am very active in dog rescues and have seen so many dogs rehomed when owners decided the baby was more important/ couldn't cope with the commitment of both. It is wonderful to see someone so happy and so appreciative of the joy a dog can bring, even if the work in the beginning is hard and sometimes soul destroying.
    I commend you for the effort you have put in and for persevering. I am not one of those people who believes that babies and dogs can live side by side at the same time, in fact I think it's a wonderful thing - it is always down to the parent/ owner to put in the time and struggle as you clearly have. They will become lifelong friends - and your son will also learn to respect and love animals which isn't a bad thing either. Obviously your son will always come first but it is reassuring to see that the dog is a big part of family life. nothing is better than a family trip walking together and it is imo enhanced by the presence of a dog.
    Congratulations on your child, and on your gorgeous dog. Have a happy long life together.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think thats the nicest post I've ever received on here - thank you :) (and apology accepted :D )

This wasn't to have a dig at anyone in particluar but just to update my situation and prove that my intentions were 100% good and remain so.

All the best
    TL :)

I fully confess to being one of the posters not wholly supportive of your situation back in January!!!

However I too am glad it all worked out for you.... and congrats on your new baby son....

I have over the months seen the piccies of your pooch and I knew that things were going well for you all ;)

But it's lovely to hear some happy, positive news!!

You take care of that wonderful family TL...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    batmobile2 wrote: »
    Reading you update brought a lump to my throat. I am very active in dog rescues and have seen so many dogs rehomed when owners decided the baby was more important/ couldn't cope with the commitment of both. It is wonderful to see someone so happy and so appreciative of the joy a dog can bring, even if the work in the beginning is hard and sometimes soul destroying.
    I commend you for the effort you have put in and for persevering. I am not one of those people who believes that babies and dogs can live side by side at the same time, in fact I think it's a wonderful thing - it is always down to the parent/ owner to put in the time and struggle as you clearly have. They will become lifelong friends - and your son will also learn to respect and love animals which isn't a bad thing either. Obviously your son will always come first but it is reassuring to see that the dog is a big part of family life. nothing is better than a family trip walking together and it is imo enhanced by the presence of a dog.
    Congratulations on your child, and on your gorgeous dog. Have a happy long life together.

Aw thanks Batmobile :)

I do understand how some people could be concerned when a baby comes but at the time I knew I would never rehome my beloved pup and I got so angry with all the prophets of doom on here who didn't know me and decided I would not cope :rolleyes:

But thats water under the bridge now and I remain very pleased with our family setup.

Last night I fed the little guy at 3am.
    Buster the cat was siting on the window sill above me, watching with one eye open. Bobby the lab was on the other side of the room, curled up under the crib. I had a huge smile on my face :D

Take care
    TL
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fully confess to being one of the posters not wholly supportive of your situation back in January!!!

However I too am glad it all worked out for you.... and congrats on your new baby son....

I have over the months seen the piccies of your pooch and I knew that things were going well for you all ;)

But it's lovely to hear some happy, positive news!!

You take care of that wonderful family TL...

Yes Rainbowgirl22, you were clearly not one of my fans.
    I'm pleased I was able to prove my critics wrong.

Thanks for the good wishes at last ;):D

Take care

TL