Does anyone know when filming on Series 8 will be finished?

tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm so looking forward to the next series, and cannot wait to see Peter Capaldi properly in the role of the Doctor. But I was wondering if anyone knows when filming will be finished?

I hope it's soon! :D David Tennant once said in an extra on DVD, that filming usually takes about nine months to complete, so Peter Capaldi and co had better be quick to get an Autumn showing!

Also, does anyone know which month we should be expecting s8 to be shown? I know it will be either August or September, but I don't know which month, for certain.

Comments

• CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Filming should be finished in July. The crew are under the impression that it will air late August, but we should of course be prepared for early September.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, this is pure conjecture, but I suspect filming will be finishing in August, around about the time we know when the first episode is scheduled to air. My guess is that will be the late August bank holiday weekend again for Episode One.

Can't see transmission before then. Actually might be later, but would be quite surprised if it was after September. Best guess. :)
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just done a google search, and Matt Smith's first series took approximately nine months to film. So how the DW team hope to get fiming finished by July, having started in January, is beyond me.
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,324
    Forum Member
    Would like to see it as soon as possible and would love to be one of the optimists who think we may get it earlier than expected but think that in reality, even if they have it all ready and done in time to show it mid/late august I suspect they will still hold off showing it until September when the main 'holiday season' is seen to be over and they have the best chance of maximizing viewers.

Would at least hope for early september, but although it saddens me to say it, I can easily see it being late september :cry:
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    I've just done a google search, and Matt Smith's first series took approximately nine months to film. So how the DW team hope to get fiming finished by July, having started in January, is beyond me.

They're doing much more studio work this series and making use of more split units performing simultaneous filming. Plus the time shaved off for the 13th episode - which will be the Christmas ep. Things seem to be going rather well. Nineteen weeks remaining, apparently.
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wasnt there a lot of new faces behind the scenes at that time?
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    They're doing much more studio work this series and making use of more split units performing simultaneous filming. Plus the time shaved off for the 13th episode - which will be the Christmas ep. Things seem to be going rather well. Nineteen weeks remaining, apparently.

Just 12 episodes this series then? I didn't know that. I thought there was going to be 13 episodes. The last I heard about a christmas episode, the DW production team were unsure whether they were going to film one. That was back in January, though.

As for the remaining time. Nineteen weeks means that by the beginning of August they should be finished. So, we should be looking at a September start date, after the kids have gone back to school.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Just 12 episodes this series then? I didn't know that. I thought there was going to be 13 episodes.

There's conflicting information about this but the general consensus now seems to be that it will be business as usual with a 13-part series.

- The twelve episode idea came from a 'leaked' BBC email last year which seemed to out the fact that Matt Smith wasn't going to be around in 2014. Although the email was never actually confirmed to be anything but a fake, Matt Smith's departure was officially announced just the day after. Coincidence? Or leak? Either way the email stated that 13 episodes would be produced in 2014 - notably twelve for Series 8 and the following Christmas special.

- There have been indications from Moffat and the crew on Twitter that the filming blocks have been set up for thirteen episodes of filming - separate to the Christmas special. There is every chance that old email was fake, or that the BBC later commissioned a thirteenth episode for Series 8.

So basically there's still no certain answer, though there's less and less suggesting that there'll be twelve episodes. :)
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just 12 episodes this series then? I didn't know that. I thought there was going to be 13 episodes.

The leaked email that said there was going to be a new Doctor also mentioned there would be 12 episodes (in an unbroken run) in Series 8.

Moffat later said there would be "at least" 13 episodes in 2014 but did not make it clear if this included the Christmas special or not.
  • SatmanagerSatmanager Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A short synopsis for filming -

It is going to be 12 episodes plus a Christmas episodes or -
    It is going to be 13 episodes plus a Christmas episode

Filming is going to be completed by July or August or September

Episodes will start showing in August or September with a break then the Christmas Special.

I think that should cover it.
  • Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems they're filming (sort of) chronologically), so eps 1,2,4 and 5 have been filmed, they're filming 3 and 6 now. I like the idea of not having to worry about finishing filming a series before you air it. Arrow over in America releases its 17th episode of the season this week and they're still filming (23 episode series). I imagine directors and editors and the Moffat can have the first couple of episodes ready by May/June. In any case, it looks like they're filming 1 2 episode block a month (there or thereabouts) so they should be finished back end of July, maybe early August, ready for an August bank holiday release date.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I'd say August/September, so around the same time it begins to air on BBC1.