Options

Coronation Street - Christmas 2010...

lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
Forum Member
✭✭
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5XdeHBeGACs

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ow5eQihQgwo

Watching this episode really proves that Corrie is nothing but a shadow of it's former self...

Just look at how good this episode is!

So much life in the Rover's
So many great characters that have now left (Becky, Peter, Tina)
Literally no unlikable characters
Lots of storylines going on
So much humour and comedy
Just a 100x better show

Compare that to the awful Christmas Day episode we got this year!

Dry humour
Little storyline
Dull scenes at the Rover's with no life
Michelle's miserable face
Gary and Alya
The Nazir's
The silly Kylie drugs plot
Lots of new unbearable characters such as maddeh

What's everyone think???:/

Comments

• Options
    boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spot on! I couldn't agree more. I loved the use of incidental music in the 2010 episode.
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,841
    Forum Member
    If any Christmas epiosde deserved to be glum then it was that one, just a few weeks after the tram crash and the deaths of Mollie and Ashley.

Good writing and good production and someone half decent at the helm.

Let's just hope that this was Blackburn's last Christmas.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spot on! I couldn't agree more. I loved the use of incidental music in the 2010 episode.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by that?:blush: and I'm so glad you agree! It's when you watch clips like that you realise how bad the street is these days!
  • Options
    boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rita's rendition of A Winter's Tale playing over a host of scenes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lou_123 wrote: »
    Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by that?:blush: and I'm so glad you agree! It's when you watch clips like that you realise how bad the street is these days!

they mean Rita singing as it was used over clips, its called incidental music, they used it in EE on boxing day
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    If any Christmas epiosde deserved to be glum then it was that one, just a few weeks after the tram crash and the deaths of Mollie and Ashley.

Good writing and good production and someone half decent at the helm.

Let's just hope that this was Blackburn's last Christmas.

Exactly! A couple of weeks after a tram crash, but the episode was written wonderfully and happily, yet it still focused on how people's life's had been damaged by the crash!

Blackburn wanted Christmas 2014 to be a happy one, but it wasn't really that happy watching it at all... The Windasses and their awful whining... David and Kylie lll... Dull Rover's scenes, only a couple of the older characters, but no Ken, Emily and Norris (I don't think), and let's face it, having a few remaining golden oldies, is the only thing Corrie has over any of the other soaps ATM, as they have the most remaining...

It was just a mess tbh, and it wasn't even entertaining... Wasn't end of part 3 the Platts sitting at the table or something?:/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it was a great episode, I loved it. Rita was great! December 2010 was great for Corrie
  • Options
    MarcusjllMarcusjll Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    agree 100%. It was around September 2013 I remember it getting really bad
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marcusjll wrote: »
    agree 100%. It was around September 2013 I remember it getting really bad

Yes, but the Hayley storyline kept it good until January!:p
  • Options
    CatmittensCatmittens Posts: 1,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a very schmaltzy ending but so, so, so wonderful at the same time. I miss that Corrie - the one that made me sign up here. Hate what it has become since then. :(
  • Options
    MarcusjllMarcusjll Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, but the Hayley storyline kept it good until January!:p

Yeah, there are glimmers of it's former self every now and again, but for the most part, it's awful :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly!Blackburn wanted Christmas 2014 to be a happy one, but it wasn't really that happy watching it at all... The Windasses and their awful whining... David and Kylie lll... Dull Rover's scenes, only a couple of the older characters, but no Ken, Emily and Norris (I don't think), and let's face it, having a few remaining golden oldies, is the only thing Corrie has over any of the other soaps ATM, as they have the most remaining...

You are spot on, lou! My family even mentioned how weird it was that we never saw Norris, Emily and Rita having Christmas dinner together like we normally would have done - just Rita randomly shoehorned into the beginning and end of the ep. Corrie easily has the best older cast of the soaps so it's sad that they're not the prime focus anymore. That really brief scene we had of Rita, Emily, Ken and Norris in the Kabin was the best bit of yesterday's 7:30pm episode IMO!

Blackburn notoriously neglected the older characters during his time at Emmerdale so it really isn't surprising he's done the same on Corrie.
  • Options
    notdebbiedinglenotdebbiedingle Posts: 45,817
    Forum Member
    My favourite would be the 2004 episode with Steve & Karen's split running alongside Ashley & Claire's wedding!!!
    Sadly for me Christmas 2010, & indeed the tram crash aftermath, will forever be ruined by Collinson's worst decision ever, the completely ludicrous decision to release Tracy Barlow from her LIFE sentence for murder after just 3 years on Christmas Eve!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite would be the 2004 episode with Steve & Karen's split running alongside Ashley & Claire's wedding!!!
    Sadly for me Christmas 2010, & indeed the tram crash aftermath, will forever be ruined by Collinson's worst decision ever, the completely ludicrous decision to release Tracy Barlow from her LIFE sentence for murder after just 3 years on Christmas Eve!!

It was actually Kim Crowther who convinced Kate Ford to return - the deal was already done before Phil Collinson came on board.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Catmittens wrote: »
    Blackburn notoriously neglected the older characters during his time at Emmerdale so it really isn't surprising he's done the same on Corrie.

This is true. He was too busy trying to push the Spencers on us at every opportunity as he wanted ED to be "more urban" :confused:. I like how Kate Oates has given Pearl quite a lot of scenes recently in ED.

The thing that irked me most about this year's Christmas Day episode is how it was all so contrived. Would Callum really have turned up and let himself into the Platt's on Christmas Day to reveal himself to David? Would David really have chucked Kylie out on Christmas Day? Would Kylie really have gone and left her kids without putting up any sort of fight (she didn't leave a few weeks ago in similar circumstances)? And finally, would she really get into Callum's car and go and stay with him? Surely she has other friends. Eva would've helped her.

Plus the "fight scene" between Callum and David was barely that and even less exciting than when Carla pushed Tracy onto a pile of boxes in Corrie's last big "fight scene."

The attempts at comedy were awful too. The Nazirs were annoying enough without adding chickens to the equation. Plus we had mashed potato flinging for the second year in a row from Sally and Maddie. Something has to change.