Options

New modem router for bt broadband

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
Forum Member
Hi i have BT broadband option 3 and the hub version 1.5. The problem is that xbox live and playstation network upstairs through the wireless connection is crap to say the least lag's something terrible. Now Bt say they won't give me the new v2.0 box with n wireless technology.
Can anyone tell me a good router with wireless n tech that will work with Bt?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    willow1971 wrote: »
    You probably don't need one. The WiFi output on ALL routers is governed by law and so the difference between them is often marginal. 802.11n (as per the HH 2.0) can, and often does, ofter better connectivity than 802.11g but you would need to upgrade all your devices to 802.11n as well.

Swapping routers is unlikely to improve your lag. If you are 'sharing' your channel with neighbours that can cause problems which won't be solved by buying new kit.

I'd take a read of the many threads here on how to improve your existing WiFi by using tools like inSSIDer.

BTW I am REALLY surprised that an Option Three subscriber can't blag a HH 2.0. BT dish them out to everyone now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    You probably don't need one. The WiFi output on ALL routers is governed by law and so the difference between them is often marginal. 802.11n (as per the HH 2.0) can, and often does, ofter better connectivity than 802.11g but you would need to upgrade all your devices to 802.11n as well.

Swapping routers is unlikely to improve your lag. If you are 'sharing' your channel with neighbours that can cause problems which won't be solved by buying new kit.

I'd take a read of the many threads here on how to improve your existing WiFi by using tools like inSSIDer.

BTW I am REALLY surprised that an Option Three subscriber can't blag a HH 2.0. BT dish them out to everyone now.

I know i have tried 3 times and each time they tell me i have to buy it for £88 or just wait until my contract runs out which is next year sometime.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Most wireless n routers are backwards compatible with wireless b and g. Even if you're not using a purely N network, you'll still benefit from the improved signal strength and speed over a wireless g router.

If you're hitting problems with interference (often down to clashing channels) - you should try changing channel first as it may save you buying a new router!

Hope this helps,
    PR
    best router
  • Options
    richestrichest Posts: 846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know i have tried 3 times and each time they tell me i have to buy it for £88 or just wait until my contract runs out which is next year sometime.

You can get a HH2 from ebay for a few quid only. They are better than the 1.5 version.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    poisonrain wrote: »
    Most wireless n routers are backwards compatible with wireless b and g. Even if you're not using a purely N network, you'll still benefit from the improved signal strength and speed over a wireless g router.
    Not really. First of all, ALL 802.11n WiFi devices are backward compatible with 802.11g. However they run in 802.11g mode when they do so and so there will be none of the benefits of 802.11n.

The only performance increase that a user is likely to get is the possibility of a more modern chip set which MAY help a little.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi i have BT broadband option 3 and the hub version 1.5. The problem is that xbox live and playstation network upstairs through the wireless connection is crap to say the least lag's something terrible. Now Bt say they won't give me the new v2.0 box with n wireless technology.

ideally if you can go down the homeplug option as all wireless links suffer lag. also download netstumbler or insider, this will show you what wireless networks and their channels are operating in the area and try changing yours to a channel further away from the others.