Things you were never allowed as a kid

Comments

• DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deb Arkle wrote: »
    The sashes were made from finely spun hummingbird breath, and would disintegrate as soon as the box was opened. :D

Heh. I suspect my sister fed it to a cat, but your idea is far superior.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    malpasc wrote: »
    Just what was so wrong with Mr Frosty that parents up and down the land banned their kids from having one? Mine included :mad:

Maybe this xmas every member who didnt get a mr frosty should buy themselves one and share our frosty stories on boxing day :D
  • Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    I was never allowed a Mr Frosty either, I think the reasoning was, that a child from a couple of streets away was ill (food poisoning) after using it, hence forth all the local children were banned from having one by their parents.

I wasn't allowed Enid Blyton books either, on the reasoning by my mum that they were s**t.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was never allowed a Mr Frosty either, I think the reasoning was, that a child from a couple of streets away was ill (food poisoning) after using it, hence forth all the local children were banned from having one by their parents.

I wasn't allowed Enid Blyton books either, on the reasoning by my mum that they were s**t.

:eek:

My childhood would not have been the same without Enid Blyton.

I still re-read them now occasionally :o
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMG I'd have died without my Enid Blyton books - I still read them now! :D
    *high fives Lizzy*

I started reading horror stories when I was 10 or so, because I couldn't go to the cinema to see the X rated films.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »
    Just what was so wrong with Mr Frosty that parents up and down the land banned their kids from having one? Mine included :mad:

I'd never heard of him - I'm probably just a bit too old - but this review Top 10 disappointing toys of the '80s tends to suggest you weren't missing anything:D
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Striped pyjamas.

My dad, as a soldier in the war, was one of the first to go to Auschwitz when it was liberated. The scenes he saw there stayed with him all his life. Things like this
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    An air rifle. My mate had a lovely under-lever, bolt action, German one that I coveted endlessly. Odd really as my Dad was an ex 2nd Btn REME Shooting team and still had his own .22 target/competition rifle but i wasn't allowed an air rifle!
  • Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    I'd never heard of him - I'm probably just a bit too old - but this review Top 10 disappointing toys of the '80s tends to suggest you weren't missing anything:D

I got one for Christmas and it didn't last two minutes before it broke. Cheaply made, overpriced TAT. :)
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    sandydune wrote: »
    I never got an annual or even a book, I had to go to a library to get a book.:confused:

That's sad :( I could never imagine not being allowed books. Even now if there's any books I need for university my parents get them for me. All I have to do is tell them which ones.
    Another one here that never got a Mr frosty:cry:.

I also wanted to play with cars as a kid and family members insisted as I was a girl I was supposed to play with dolls so they kept buying my dolls and girly crap.

I hate dolls. I love cars.

I hated dolls as a kid too and I was bought a few but I never used them. I had Barbies but I used to take the clothes off them and put them in the bath :o The heads also came off a few of them. I loved toy cars though. I also loved Brio train sets (remember those?) and Lego.
  • Invent MeridianInvent Meridian Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...to be happy.
  • Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,039
    Forum Member
    Tt88 wrote: »
    We had scalextric but were only allowed to play with it if dad set it up and did the controls. So basically we could watch!

I think that would have been worse
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My mum and various aunties kept me thoroughly supplied with these throughout my childhood. Then, aged 10, I got to senior school, and was told in front of the whole class that they were childish and I shouldn't read them any more (the fact that they were stocked in our junior library confused me, and I still don't know why other people were allowed to read them).

Still. Moved up to the Chalet School books (posh gels + foreign location + other languages = acceptable, apparently) and never looked back.
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Ice pops (bad for your teeth apparently)
    Chewing gum (in case we swallowed it)

At one stage my parents packed away all my Enid Blyton books in a desperate attempt to get me to read other stuff. It worked and I discovered loads of other brilliant children's writers, some of whom I still occasionally re-read.
  • LifeisGoodLifeisGood Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm another one that wanted a Mr Frosty! Think you can get them on eBay, I'm always tempted.

I also wanted a Mr Frosty and never got one! I didn't realise there were so many people who wanted them and missed out. I thought it was just me!
  • LilaLila Posts: 6,780
    Forum Member
    Me too with the Mr Frosty! Also I always wanted a Paul Daniels' Magic Set but never ever got it.
  • SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizzy drinks and McDonalds. Probabaly did me good in the long run as I've never liked either.

I was also never allowed to play with toy guns although Action Men with guns were ok for some reason!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 309
    Forum Member
    Mr Frosty again weird who had one, Mum said they were¨crap¨

To play with Kaplunk that i had ¨to noisy¨
  • Dave1979Dave1979 Posts: 1,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..to watch Grange Hill.

Drinking a pint of shandy in a beer garden at age 10 was fine though. Different times the 80's!!
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Dave1979 wrote: »
    ..to watch Grange Hill.

Drinking a pint of shandy in a beer garden at age 10 was fine though. Different times the 80's!!

The only think I remember not being allowed to watch was that US film about Nuclear war. The Day After i think it was called.
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    Another Mr Frosty vote here :D

I always wanted a Mega Drive because I was a huge huge Sonic fan, my cousin and my Dad's godson had one and we only had a Master System :( I eventually brought my own when I was 16 about 10 years ago.
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A TV in my room - I bought myself one when I was 18. Funnily enough it's one of the things I insist that my two can't have now, I hate the idea of everyone being 'plugged in' to their own separate TVs! My mum had it right, I think. :)
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    a horse, we had stables for crying out loud.
  • warleywitchwarleywitch Posts: 2,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hyena wrote: »

:D:D:D
  • toribaynestoribaynes Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i wasnt allowed barbies, mr frosty, or the magazines that had the photo stories in them, i wasnt allowed any trendy school shoes, never went to the hairdressers ( my mum always cut my hair) wasnt allowed to celebrate halloween, tomato ketchup, wasnt allowed any make up and i wasnt allowed to shave my legs god no wonder i got bullied so much!!