Options

Labour's lead down to 3%

David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The May political poll monitor from IPSOS-Mori puts Labour on 34 points, with the Conservative close behind on 31. UKIP is in third with 13 points and the Liberal Democrats on just 10.

Source: Ipsos Mori

It's still enough to give Labour a majority, and the UKIP numbers look odd but this is the second poll in a row to show Labour under that 35% target and the narrowest margin between Labour and the Tories since April 2012

Two points picked out by UK Polling Report
1) MORI’s Tom Mludzinski says the change is mostly due to Labour voters saying they are less likely to vote (as regular readers will know Ipsos MORI use the harshest turnout filter, only including respondents who say they are absolutely 10/10 certain to vote).

2) As with the YouGov/Sunday Times figures for the last few week’s, MORI’s figures also show an increase in economic optimism… or at least, a decrease in pessimism. 30% now expect the economy to improve in the next year, 31% to get worse – a net “feel good factor” of minus 1. This is up from minus 19 a month ago, and the highest since July 2010.

Comments

• Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there ever was an indictment of Milliband, Balls & co, this is it.

Utterly incredible given where we are in the Parliament, and what the government are having to do. They should be romping it.
  • Options
    JillyJilly Posts: 20,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worrying figures for Labour.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is down to Ed Milliband. He is such a big minus.
  • Options
    hustedhusted Posts: 5,287
    Forum Member
    UKip seems to have picked up Labour voters rather than Tories. Labour has been quiet of late.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, there's a new party people are beginning to see as electable, it's exactly what happened in Scotland when the SNP rose - people aren't really that loyal in a two party system, they just go for the least worst option. Now we have another one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petertard wrote: »

I have a union member friend who voted for him - full of it at the time. Absolutely kicking himself now.
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    petertard wrote: »

There has to be a better word......:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thatcher got low marks with the public when in opposition.
  • Options
    WhiteFangWhiteFang Posts: 3,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Labours deflating a bit early.Its not 2 yrs till the next election
  • Options
    Drunken ScouserDrunken Scouser Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meanwhile, today's YouGov shows Labour 10 up.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Fair point. Different polls, different polling methods. But it's also worth pointing out that last month, Ipsos-Mori had Labour's lead at 9%, and YouGov / Sun had the lead at 14%. So, on a like-for-like basis Labours' lead has dropped somewhere between 4% and 6% in one month.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do you know how the daily YouGov poll works and how many it samples. It seem to fluctuate widely on the Labour lead anything between 6% and 14%
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jilly wrote: »
    Worrying figures for Labour.

Especially when you think about how big the Tories lead was in the polls two years before the last GE and then they only just managed to get into power with the aid of the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Considering that anyone who Is Not The Government ought to have a lead of about 20% at this stage, the twin problem is their legacy, for which some of their soft vote has not forgiven them (mainly economy and immigration)....and Ed.

The latter is going to be a problem for them at election time. The more the public sees of Milliband, the less they see him as a Prime Minister.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Especially when you think about how big the Tories lead was in the polls two years before the last GE and then they only just managed to get into power with the aid of the Lib Dems.

Hi GM, I think I have posted this several times, but here goes, if you look at the percentage figures the Conservative attained, the same figures would have given Labour a clear majority.
  • Options
    LandisLandis Posts: 14,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only way that sticking with Ed - and yes I know that Labour usually "don't ditch their leaders" - makes any sense is if it is all about timing.

I think David realised that there would be another leader in between Ed and himself, a switch of brothers would have been excruciating. Thus him finding a way to be "quiet" for a while. But who would that be? Have we had any hints in the past couple of years?
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2083355/Alistair-Darling-touted-compromise-leader-Miliband-continues-fail.html

And what would be the last possible moment to do this - with the polls then forcing a Tory leadership crisis. And time running out....
  • Options
    LandisLandis Posts: 14,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    . The more the public sees of Milliband, the less they see him as a Prime Minister.

I don't see any way around this problem.
    If he were able to tweak his image - It would have happened by now. :(
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    husted wrote: »
    UKip seems to have picked up Labour voters rather than Tories. Labour has been quiet of late.

Er, no. UKip are actually down on that poll. Labour's drop according to the poll is because of "Labour voters saying they are less likely to vote". Which is a judgement on Miliband and his lot I'd say.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Landis wrote: »
    I don't see any way around this problem.
    If he were able to tweak his image - It would have happened by now. :(

I agree, but it's a :) for me, not a :(

I don't want them under any circumstances.
  • Options
    SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'd take anything Yougov says with a pinch of salt...they are the most Labour-biased poll ever!
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Labour will only win the next election with the block vote from Scotland. Labour will for the most part be passing laws that affect only England. This is clearly not sustainable.

Labour are a disaster, the fact they are only a few points ahead of the current bunch of clowns says it all.
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Indeed.
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    Well, there's a new party people are beginning to see as electable, it's exactly what happened in Scotland when the SNP rose - people aren't really that loyal in a two party system, they just go for the least worst option. Now we have another one.
    Who's that then? This poll has UKIP down to 13%. I love how the UKIPers are saying this poll is bad for Labour but think it is great for UKIP.
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soppyfan wrote: »
    I'd take anything Yougov says with a pinch of salt...they are the most Labour-biased poll ever!
    In other words you only like polls that show your bias.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    in our personality driven society people buy the salesman not the product.. unfortunately policy is secondary

so they picked the wrong brother

but their paymasters got the required result

bit like the tories theyd win outright with boris

and the libdems would not have done as well in 2010

without the "I agree with Nick" TV debates