UK 5th favourite to win, end up in the bottom 10– the contest & voting is a farce

Comments

• emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know why people expected any different?
    No matter how good the British entry, it simply doesn't occur to the other countries to vote for us.

It's just a yearly TV event.
    We should just enjoy it for what it is, without any expectations.
  • EuanDesuEuanDesu Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's time we pulled out.. will be a very unpopular opinion here but we aren't going to win. :/
  • ReservedReserved Posts: 12,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    17th is a joke. I didn't expect to win, I didn't even expect it to get top five, but I thought we'd be in the top ten - or at worst, the top half (top 13).

Usually, I roll my eyes at the "politic" points made because we send crap every year and don't deserve the points, but not this year...
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why the hell was Sweden's song so popular? It had no real rhythm to it, was awful. Armenia's song was a mess too. I do think Austria deserved to win though, the song has an important message.

I don't think think the UK deserved to win but probably deserved more votes. I also can't believe Spain didn't do better. Ruth clearly had the best voice out of anyone by a mile!
  • AxGAxG Posts: 25,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's always next year. :)
  • adamski94adamski94 Posts: 3,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    That's hardly a first in Eurovision. Remember Lordi?

Spain normally whine in a similar manner to us but they did pretty well this year. Holland went ages without even qualifying and look at them this year
    But this novelty had nothing to it bad song bad peformance bad beard
  • InsanellamaInsanellama Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    As of tonight I am now a former Eurovision fan. It is completly a scandal we ended up so low, I thought if we put a decent song in we'd get a result. Molly deserved better and yes we should withdrawl for a bit.

I am happy for Austria they deserved it and the Netherlands deserved to be high up to but we did not deserve to be that low. What is worse is that this does not exactly motivate us to try again next year does it? Neither is it going to motivate any artist to put their name forward.
  • Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We need to stop spending money on it. The UK song was much better than its position. It's a farce and I don't see why we should support it with money.
  • JeeooorghhhbbbJeeooorghhhbbb Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    Thing is, for most of the people voting tonight, this will have been the first time they have heard and seen any of the performances. They wouldn't have been voting in any of the online polls and involving themselves in the build-up. And, out of the all of the songs tonight, Molly's song and performance simply wasn't anywhere up there with the best. It was good, but largely forgettable in comparison with some of the others. There is, and always has been, an element of bloc voting, but the songs that usually finish in the top five are usually the best songs of the evening.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,057
    Forum Member
    SamuelW wrote: »
    They sent a woman with a beard. It was a gimmick. The winner should be based on how good the song and vocal is, not gimmicks like this.

Have you never watched Eurovision before?
  • adamski94adamski94 Posts: 3,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EuanDesu wrote: »
    I think it's time we pulled out.. will be a very unpopular opinion here but we aren't going to win. :/

I agree we basically pay for them to take part and they dont even want us to do well
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Thing is, for most of the people voting tonight, this will have been the first time they have heard and seen any of the performances. They wouldn't have been voting in any of the online polls and involving themselves in the build-up. And, out of the all of the songs tonight, Molly's song and performance simply wasn't anywhere up there with the best. It was good, but largely forgettable in comparison with some of the others. There is, and always has been, an element of bloc voting, but the songs that usually finish in the top five are usually the best songs of the evening.
    Yeah but half of the voting is from the jury who wouldve been hardcore Eurovision fans and wouldve heard the song before. Even the juries voted low for Molly for her to end up 17th.
  • Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No way did the song deserve to finish 17th. That is shocking and tells you a lot. Unacceptable voting system. Reform must happen to the voting system.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    That's hardly a first in Eurovision. Remember Lordi?

Spain normally whine in a similar manner to us but they did pretty well this year. Holland went ages without even qualifying and look at them this year

Netherlands had a good song maybe we should try that, last time we had a good song we came 5th, it's not a coincidence.
  • RedunitedRedunited Posts: 1,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing needs to take a 1-5 years break with a major revamp. 1. No drag queens, 2 Countries can vote for their own acts. 3 No qualification nonsense. 4. The winner wins €1 million euros and a record deal.
    One question should Simon Cowell take over this event ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was hoping we'd get in the top ten but neighbour and political voting strikes again. Oh well, it was still a fun show and at least we didn't come in the very bottom few like usual.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »
    No way did the song deserve to finish 17th. That is shocking and tells you a lot. Unacceptable voting system. Reform must happen to the voting system.

oh do shut up whinging.
  • Damien.Damien. Posts: 18,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh wah wah wah, Molly's performance was underwhelming. The top 3 were the best performances of the night.

The voting wasn't even political this year.
  • JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    austria was one of the worst songs but got the votes.. so its not about the song ..some of us predicted molly would do as badly as usual and we were right..
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,633
    Forum Member
    As I posted in the other thread, the BBC have most likely already thrown the towel in for 2015.

Whatever we send next year, you can bet right now on our entry finishing rock bottom on the scoreboard. We might as well go all out and just send the most absurd pile of crap and let everyone else battle for the other 25 places. Just like we did in 2010.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    But who are the punters placing the money?
  • penguinpersonpenguinperson Posts: 16,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The performance was not up to scratch in the end.
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Damien. wrote: »
    Oh wah wah wah, Molly's performance was underwhelming. The top 3 were the best performances of the night.

The voting wasn't even political this year.
    So you genuinely believe Molly's song and performance overall was the 10th worst of the night? Worse than Polands and some of those awful songs some of those other countries did? Really?!?!? We clearly have a difference of opinion of what good and bad music is.
  • Sammy2Sammy2 Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel pretty deflated but I still don't think it's politics
    Netherlands/Sweden/Armenia are from 3 different corners of the continent...
    I just don't think the song stood out.

I do think it was better than Jade Ewen so don't really understand that discrepancy in positions
  • Absolute RotterAbsolute Rotter Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But we still won't have to qualify next year. We just buy our way straight to the final.