Options

Can't seem to get excited for Big Brother anymore

Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It's starting in two days time, and I just can't seem to get excited over it anymore. Back in the day at around this time I'd be itching for it to start, scouring magazines, news papers and the internet for any information I could find, but I just can't be arsed this time around. In fact I only found out the other day that it was starting this week!

I enjoyed the last series of regular BB, but I think that was just down to sheer luck more than anything else. Without Dexter and Gina the casting was so lame, there are too many housemates now that are people who are already on the fringes of celebrity which surely defeats the whole object? If Lacey Bangers or whatever her name was can qualify for CBB then in theory so could Hazel from last year, who was already a fairly well known model. But no, for reasons that known only to Five themslevs they decided to shove her in the regular house...the lines between regular and celebrity BB have become very blurred.

Considering it's starting in two days this forum is very quiet, Is it time to throw in the towel I wonder?:confused:

Comments

• Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's starting in two days time, and I just can't seem to get excited over it anymore. Back in the day at around this time I'd be itching for it to start, scouring magazines, news papers and the internet for any information I could find, but I just can't be arsed this time around. In fact I only found out the other day that it was starting this week!

I enjoyed the last series of regular BB, but I think that was just down to sheer luck more than anything else. Without Dexter and Gina the casting was so lame, there are too many housemates now that are people who are already on the fringes of celebrity which surely defeats the whole object? If Lacey Bangers or whatever her name was can qualify for CBB then in theory so could Hazel from last year, who was already a fairly well known model. But no, for reasons that known only to Five themslevs they decided to shove her in the regular house...the lines between regular and celebrity BB have become very blurred.

Considering it's starting in two days this forum is very quiet, Is it time to throw in the towel I wonder?:confused:

You're not the only person who feels like that, Voddy

The mucking about with the concept of the show has put off a lot of people
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    I prefer celebrity big brother BY FAR.
    which i know is contrary to alot of opinions on the forum :D

but on channel 5, celebrity big brother is better than the civilian version.
    i have found most of the series hilarious, and actually prefer C5s CBB to any of the later series of CBB on channel 4.
    They also manage to keep all the great housemates till the finale. Something they will struggle to do with civilian BB.
    I just think they do not know what they are doing to be honest and have real issues sustaining a show for 10 weeks.
    As the OP said, last years BB would have been nothing without Dexter or GIna (and i didnt like either of them!) Yet these 2 were so so close to being evicted in the very first week thanks to a bizarre decision by the producers to allow the public to decide the nominee's.

To sum up, i find CBB to be better organised and less like its being run by a bunch of chimps, i look forward to it every year.
    Where as these days i can take or leave the regular series.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its just not taking a Puritan view the direction its taken hasn't done the format many favours. Livefeed said some time ago its become reality soap and that pretty much sums it up for me. I really hope im proved wrong because As a show I want BBUK around for as long as possible but got a sneaky feeling with the backtracking of last year this summer series is going to be in deep trouble
  • Options
    happybbfanhappybbfan Posts: 5,375
    Forum Member
    My excitement disappeared when BB8 launched
  • Options
    MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't say im a huge fan as much anymore but its always a bit of fun to watch and jump on DS Forums to have a whinge and grizzle about the wannabe housemates

beats the crap Cowell feeds down out throats with X Factor and BGT :)
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank God for the World Cup, this twitter thing, has broke it for me.

I might try and get into it once the Football is over
  • Options
    Forum Member
    oathy wrote: »
    Its just not taking a Puritan view the direction its taken hasn't done the format many favours. Livefeed said some time ago its become reality soap and that pretty much sums it up for me. I really hope im proved wrong because As a show I want BBUK around for as long as possible but got a sneaky feeling with the backtracking of last year this summer series is going to be in deep trouble

what is their direction?
    last year we had a 'back to basics' style of house,the first year on c5 was a half hearted US style format and this year i have no idea what the hell is going on in the producers minds but i have a bad feeling its not going to work with the public.
    It does seem as though Endemol are throwing one more dice at a format change in the hope of a big increase in ratings,hoping for a contract renewal maybe.
  • Options
    livefeed24/7nowlivefeed24/7now Posts: 8,801
    Forum Member

they need the ratings for the 'normal series' to hold up
    i guess they are concerned that by using 'normal' people ,they wouldn't hit acceptable ratings
    i can see from their point of view it's a sensible move but it does nothing for me either
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emma has said in the past she was against changes and messages from the outside world.

But I guess you have to tow the company lines, if you still want the job
  • Options
    dan_dan_ Posts: 1,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm excited after seeing the house, it's great. The cast of BB13 was mainly great and 14 had some stars too like Hazel, Sallie and mad Callum.

TIBB is buzzing atm, I'm surprised at the lack of excitement on here?
  • Options
    dan_dan_ Posts: 1,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm excited after seeing the house, it's great. The cast of BB13 was mainly great and 14 had some stars too like Hazel, Sallie, Gina and mad Callum.

TIBB is buzzing atm, I'm surprised at the lack of excitement on here?
  • Options
    jeanojjeanoj Posts: 21,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess I am in the minority then as I am excited for BB to start! As a football hater I won't be watching a lot of men in shorts kicking a ball around for 90 minutes but will watch BB in the hope that it is better than all the doom and gloom that has been forecast on here :D
  • Options
    richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 217,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The route they are planning has put a lot of people off and this year for some may have been the last straw, as we know they love to ignore the basic concepts but this year may be a step too far

Some of us said that one day the not rights would get internet access and seems that time has finally arrived

Really sad to see the forum that was probably one of the most busiest as far as BB went so quiet so close to launch

Back in the days of the better series, you couldn't move for at least 5-10 pages of buzz for an upcoming series. These days it's barely one page.

Don't get me wrong, it's jam packed when the show actually starts but before and after the show it's like a morgue
  • Options
    jeanojjeanoj Posts: 21,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    richie4eva wrote: »
    The route they are planning has put a lot of people off and this year for some may have been the last straw, as we know they love to ignore the basic concepts but this year may be a step too far

Some of us said that one day the not rights would get internet access and seems that time has finally arrived

Really sad to see the forum that was probably one of the most busiest as far as BB went so quiet so close to launch

Back in the days of the better series, you couldn't move for at least 5-10 pages of buzz for an upcoming series. These days it's barely one page.

Don't get me wrong, it's jam packed when the show actually starts but before and after the show it's like a morgue

It is probably best to accept that it is not BB as we know it but a completely different programme but still with the ability to be fun watching.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jeanoj wrote: »
    It is probably best to accept that it is not BB as we know it but a completely different programme but still with the ability to be fun watching.

in that case C5 should change the name
  • Options
    MrsCloumboMrsCloumbo Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I seem to have little enthusiasm either.
    Was not even aware it started so soon, but have had pneumonia so have not really been aware of much.

I have no doubt I shall be watching and will be quickly sucked in!
    What I do promise myself is that this year I will Not be responding to trolls or baiters on this forum, no matter how personal and unpleasant they regularly and inevitably get.
    That will be nice.
  • Options
    richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 217,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jeanoj wrote: »

I am trying believe me but it's really frustrating and grating, especially when the tasks just feel more recycled and are more childish and puerile with each passing year and the contact with the outside world gets more frequent just for the sake of a few arguments and ratings

Not all of us are fans of constant engineered arguments which is what they think we want to see, I have a feeling if we had some sort of extended DEEF EVIL where we could get to know the not rights properly this forum would be a lot happier and a lot of arguing could be avoided
  • Options
    Damien.Damien. Posts: 18,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's always quiet in the run up lately and then picks up on launch night. The show is in it's fifteenth year - I think so many people forget that.
  • Options
    The FinisherThe Finisher Posts: 10,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm more excited than usual for this one! It generally takes me a few weeks to get into it but I'm into it already and it hasn't even started yet :D
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excited about Big Brother, They don't take it seriously with hardly any live feed so why should I be excited. Anyways if I haven't heard anything about online LF by 22:00 of the launch show. I am watching Nashville.
  • Options
    erin_perin_p Posts: 25,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very few 'oldies' left. Like you I am thinking it's maybe time to move on,the show is nothing like it started off as .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    erin_p wrote: »
    Very few 'oldies' left. Like you I am thinking it's maybe time to move on,the show is nothing like it started off as .

problem for BB. its Original format was fine they wanted to take a more sinister role which is fine but they tried copying the MTV type reality shows complete with floaty name tags. MTV do those shows better BB didn't need to go down that route of Scripted Reality. There is no way a show that supposed to be about Random events needs a story editor something that's been included for the last few series.

The no outside contact rule was one of the most original concepts of a show and its literally being peed all over. We know from last summer and the outside contact Gina got look how that changed the dynamics. People with outside information take what they want and that already means trouble distorted views always means the show suffers because people change how they act in there.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    You're not the only person who feels like that, Voddy

The mucking about with the concept of the show has put off a lot of people

The lack of live feed makes me wonder how real it actually is now? I mean for all we know they could be handing out scripts to the housemates, we know they manipulate them into behaving in certain ways in the diary room, but without 24/7 live feed its not beyond the realms of possibility. During the last CBB didn't they release a photo of the house mates doing a task with a crew member in there with them? That would never have happened in the old days, and that they allowed a photo like that to be released shows how incompetent Five and Endemol are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The lack of live feed makes me wonder how real it actually is now? I mean for all we know they could be handing out scripts to the housemates, we know they manipulate them into behaving in certain ways in the diary room, but without 24/7 live feed its not beyond the realms of possibility. During the last CBB didn't they release a photo of the house mates doing a task with a crew member in there with them? That would never have happened in the old days, and that they allowed a photo like that to be released shows how incompetent Five and Endemol are.

yep that happened and you are right its been getting worse because producers didn't have to worry about a live feed and people seeing staff in there.the fact the twins run in last year "the feeds on the feeds on" they were even informed when the feed started and then began the worse Acting class seen.
  • Options
    VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I enjoyed the last series of regular BB, but I think that was just down to sheer luck more than anything else. Without Dexter and Gina the casting was so lame, there are too many housemates now that are people who are already on the fringes of celebrity which surely defeats the whole object? ...

The Gina and Dexter were exactly the sort of "cusp of fame" desperadoes BB seems to be favouring this year.