Asda and Tesco selling tap water

DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Tesco's Everyday Still Water brand and Asda's Smartprice Still Water is in fact Tap Water. Tesco have tried to say that it comes from a source in France, but have admitted that it is UK Mains water and Asda have admitted that it comes from filtered Yorkshire Water. The supermarkets and suppliers are enjoying a mark up 2,500%.

Full story Here.

I know the link from the Daily Hail, but still these two supermarkets are ripping people off

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    [Insert sentence consisting of pure outrage here]

Seriously though, I've never understood why people buy bottled water in the first place when the same people have usually got access to perfectly good tap water.
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Delboy and Rodders would be so proud :)
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hasn't this been known for ages? I thought anything not labelled mineral water could legally be tap water?
  • monkeysoapmonkeysoap Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Tesco have tried to say that it comes from a source in France, but have admitted that it is UK Mains water
    Whilst it is at least good that the water does in fact come from the UK instead of France, why does Tesco put caring about supporting other country's economies before the UK's economy first by sourcing things from countries like France and Belgium etc? :confused::rolleyes:

When I was in the UK, I have brought bottled spring water from shops before, and it is sourced from Scotland, yet the price was still dirt cheap! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    Hasn't this been known for ages? I thought anything not labelled mineral water could legally be tap water?
    I haven't been in the UK in over a decade and I knew that. I don't see the problem.
  • 1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its not really a shock but i wouldn't be suprised if they disapeared off the shelves soon due to falling sales as Dasani water did afew years ago.It doesn't really matter either way because all water is recycled.To me the only thing that matters is that it isn't grey and doesn't have bits floating in it.
  • kibblerokkibblerok Posts: 1,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't been in the UK in over a decade and I knew that. I don't see the problem.

Perhaps it should be labelled as being sourced from tap water.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    **** me. Who cares? The bottles are labelled 'still water' which is exactly what it is.

Tap water can taste pretty horrid depending on where you live, and 17p/2 litres actually represents value for money when compared with domestic water filters, as one of the supermarkets concerned points out, albeit conveniently buried further down the article.
    Asda said: ‘Our two-litre bottle is 17p. For comparison – if a customer bought a Brita water filter jug at £16 and used it for the recommended 40 gallons, it would cost 21p to produce two litres of filtered water. We’re saving our customers time and money – as well as providing a container.’
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kibblerok wrote: »
    Perhaps it should be labelled as being sourced from tap water.
    There's no obligation to do that, although some suppliers are quite open about it.
  • rory rrory r Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    Never bought bottle water in my life, always thought that its only mugs that do since you can get it from your tap.
  • Nine Bob NoteNine Bob Note Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know the link from the Daily Hail, but still these two supermarkets are ripping people off

Yes, dear, these people paying 17p for 2lt of water are being ripped off - I'm sure they expected it to be bottled somewhere high in the Alps.
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    17p for two litres of tap water is quite good, at least if the mains go off you can buy a few bottles of the stuff to make tea and coffee.
  • sleepasleepa Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am really quite impressed that the seemingly sleazy DM has actually published this front page journalism at the expense of two of their largest advertisers instead of quietly burying it. How strange.
  • SpeedOfLightSpeedOfLight Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should do an unlimited free refills one. When yours is empty, you take it back to your local store and Mandy refills it for you from the staff room. I'd pay a little extra for that.
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know which tap our local Tesco got their everyday water from but it tasted vile. First and last time I spent fifteen pence:D
  • Charles IICharles II Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peckham Spring is back!!
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jzee wrote: »

It can but to lead people to believe it is anything other than tap water is illegal , and that is what many stores are doing. Including the Tesco spokesperson

She said: ‘My understanding from speaking to our water buyer is that it originates from a spring in France.’ Asked whether it was filtered mains tap water, she said: ‘No, absolutely not. No, its origin is French, but it is bottled in the UK – I think somewhere in the West Midlands

They should be made to label them with the fact that it is filtered tap water.
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not surprised... those still waters always look rather, bubbly?
  • riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meilie wrote: »
    **** me. Who cares? The bottles are labelled 'still water' which is exactly what it is.

Tap water can taste pretty horrid depending on where you live, and 17p/2 litres actually represents value for money when compared with domestic water filters, as one of the supermarkets concerned points out, albeit conveniently buried further down the article.

Completely agree! Our tap water is absolutely fine for making hot drinks like tea and coffee, but if I want to just drink cold water I always have a cheap bottle of water in my fridge. Tastes loads better and costs next to nothing!
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All bottled water is a huge con, whether it's filtered or not. The mark up is huge, and the only winners are the companies that make them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    Meilie wrote: »

Well that has to be the biggest load of nonsense i ever read, you only buy the jug once, after that filters are about 3 quid each making it around 3p for 2 litres.
  • scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but all bottled water comes out of tap somewhere along the processing line, or you'll be making a huge puddle trying to fill up bottles
    so whats the fuss?
    nowt wrong with tap water
  • jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    It's two parts hydrogen to one part oxygen.

The fewer impurities the better.

What gives you the idea that the hydrogen and oxygen in mineral water are somehow magical and special?
  • alienpandaalienpanda Posts: 9,444
    Forum Member
    GeoBa92 wrote: »
    [Insert sentence consisting of pure outrage here]

Seriously though, I've never understood why people buy bottled water in the first place when the same people have usually got access to perfectly good tap water.

I dont drink tap water, have you see how much gunk is in them pipes?
  • CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    All bottled water is a huge con, whether it's filtered or not. The mark up is huge, and the only winners are the companies that make them.

Yep, in fact you only have to spell Evian backwards to figure out how the scam works.