This is Most Definitely Not An Appreciation Thread **Part 18**

Comments

• SaraV1308SaraV1308 Posts: 9,760
    Forum Member
    I was about to try to rescue the NAT if no one else had..

I think it was more of a case of not having anything to really unappreciate rather than the apathetic atmosphere out there....>>>

Also sort of had better things to do with my time the last day or so.

I caught up with the end of Call the Midwife and Downton... - with the latter... Id like to unappreciate that the lovely Dan Stevens' character has been killed off... was it his decision or the production company's... My mum will be really upset - she and I met DanS at an event last year and he was absolutely gorgeous and has the most sublime blue eyes.... Im not sure Downton will survive if he is not in it... (or was that a twist of scripting a la Dallas style - and Matthew will re-appear from the dead [when DanS has signed his new season contract?])
  • kittleskittles Posts: 4,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SaraV1308 wrote: »

I think it was more of a case of not having anything to really unappreciate rather than the apathetic atmosphere out there....>>>

I caught up with the end of Call the Midwife and Downton... - with the latter... Id like to unappreciate that the lovely Dan Stevens' character has been killed off... was it his decision or the production company's... My mum will be really upset - she and I met DanS at an event last year and he was absolutely gorgeous and has the most sublime blue eyes.... Im not sure Downton will survive if he is not in it... (or was that a twist of scripting a la Dallas style - and Matthew will re-appear from the dead [when DanS has signed his new season contract?])

gave up on Downton halfway through series 2 due to utter ridiculousness. I understand that it was Dan S choice to go - he's off to find fortune and fame in That America

unappreciating Call the Midwife. I know its curmudgeonly of me but for those of us who are unable to have children, it's the equivalent of having your face dipped in acid. No thanks.

there :D some proper unappreciatin
  • MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matthew's death was amazing, given that he was slowly sinking down to Bates levels of dull self-righteousness. Like, sorry not everyone's wife can DIE of their convenient illness MATTHEW. Stop being such a buzzkill.
  • perdiedumplingperdiedumpling Posts: 8,540
    Forum Member

I think Dan Stevens has a brain. He grew gradually more apathetic as he went along - series one great, from series two pn you could see him thinking "Home from war... again. :rolleyes: I can walk again? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Everyone conveniently dying so Mary can continue a life of indolence, even the 57 heirs of my ex-fiancée's father? Puh-lease."
  • durnovariandurnovarian Posts: 1,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live very near to Chatham Dockyard too! St Mary's Island in fact. I live opposite James Jordan's sisters house :D
    I'm a bit further along the coast - perhaps you and Alli and I can set up a Kent branch of DOTs? :D
    I Id like to unappreciate that the lovely Dan Stevens' character has been killed off... was it his decision or the production company's...

I unappreciate it too, but I was half-expecting it after a piece in RT which reminded us that Dan Stevens had said he didn't want to do a fourth series, and also quoted Julian Fellowes as saying that if he (DS) didn't, he (JF) wouldn't recast the role. So I also unappreciate very heavy-handed hints even if it wasn't a direct spoiler. (And after they got such a positive reaction for not spoiler-ing Sybil's death I'm surprised they did.)

Also, I know what Monkseal and perdie mean about it getting a bit ridiculous, but he was rather nice to look at. :o:p
  • MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only really watched the latter half of Series 1 but...I've always kind of found it a ludicrous trashy soap opera and just appreciated it on that level. I mean - the first major plotline was Lady Mary shagging the Turkish Ambassador to death. It's just that now we're at the point where all the people who can act and who aren't in the twilight of their careers are jumping ship because they want to be in things that AREN'T gloriously meretricious crap. Meaning we're going to be left with Branson's nipples and ugly crying to carry the next series (*joy*).
  • PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    EEEEEk I havent watched it yet ,Oh well cant say I am fussed at Mathews demise , he turned into a right old wet lettuce by the end .,
  • Lindy_LoueLindy_Loue Posts: 9,874
    Forum Member
    Have to say I really like Downton normally ....yes, I know it's a soap in period dress :o

And after a previous Christmas special that had that gloriously romantic Matthew and Mary in the snowflakes ending.....my critical faculties were dulled and I was shocked that they killed Matthew right at the end....just hours after Mary gave birth :eek: :cry:

Okay it was dramatic but I really unappreciated it at 10 .45 on Christmas Day evening :mad:
  • grittygritty Posts: 3,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm a bit further along the coast - perhaps you and Alli and I can set up a Kent branch of DOTs? :D

Can I become a member of the Canterbury cell.
  • CamisCamis Posts: 13,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never seen Downton Abbey or Call The Midwife!
  • franglemandfranglemand Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me neither, Camis. Or at least, I think I watched the Christmas Special of Dowton Abbery one year because my step-mother wanted to but not having watched any of the series, I can't say it made a lot of sense.

Sovober - a mashup name for the OT3 of September, October and November. Or possibly the result of me being sober enough to twig I'd hit the wrong key the first time but not quite sober enough to then find and use the delete key before correcting it... :o

I'm just catching up on the Xmas special as I missed it on Chistmas day. What is Sheila wearing? The neck of the dress makes it look like she stuck her head through a border collie.
  • CoronisCoronis Posts: 24,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That dress was awful and why the addition of the tiara? :confused: LOL at the border collie comment. :D:D
  • tortoisepersontortoiseperson Posts: 3,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'll join! I'm where Kent meets Sarf London.

I only watched CtheM because it followed Strickly special, I've never seen it before as I tend not to watch much TV. Never seen a second of Downton :o
  • KitKat21KitKat21 Posts: 4,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm off.

If you want me, you know where to find me.

Can't be doing with this place anymore. :(
  • CamisCamis Posts: 13,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KitKat21 wrote: »
    I'm off.

Noooo - come back! Don't let the buggers get you down :mad:
  • franglemandfranglemand Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm off.

:(
    Coronis wrote: »
    That dress was awful and why the addition of the tiara? :confused: LOL at the border collie comment. :D:D

Maybe she had an Amy Farrah Fowler moment. Otherwise I have no clue. Ice queen thing maybe?
  • CoronisCoronis Posts: 24,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that Kat. :( Maybe it'll be better next year or not. If they wanted Ice Queen, just get Tilda Swinton to dress up as Jadis. :p
  • kassieqkassieq Posts: 3,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm with KitKat and think I'll sling my hook too. I only started that thread because I know a lot of people don't bother with twitter and thought they would like to hear some good news for a change, but no, some idiot has to lower the tone, shame really.
  • sunstonesunstone Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congrats to Brendan and his wife on the birth of their daughter:)

Is he 26 as the Mail says? If so I'm a confident 27 :p

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2253899/Strictlys-Brendan-Cole-tweets-delight-father-baby-girl-Christmas-Day.html
  • sunstonesunstone Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kassieq wrote: »
    I'm with KitKat and think I'll sling my hook too. I only started that thread because I know a lot of people don't bother with twitter and thought they would like to hear some good news for a change, but no, some idiot has to lower the tone, shame really.

Seems I missed a lot earlier.but the good people need to stay.
    Twits seem to get bored rapidly.I doubt they will be here now the programme is over.:)
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm off.

kassieq wrote: »

Aww, don't let the spitefulness get to you. We need to keep the spirit of witty unappreciation going. Heck, I was a Matt di Angelo fan. There's little in this world more vicious than a rabid fan of that god of tersichorean erotica Gethin Jones!:eek:;)
  • perdiedumplingperdiedumpling Posts: 8,540
    Forum Member
    Muggsy wrote: »
    Aww, don't let the spitefulness get to you. We need to keep the spirit of witty unappreciation going. Heck, I was a Matt di Angelo fan. There's little in this world more vicious than a rabid fan of that god of tersichorean erotica Gethin Jones!:eek:;)

Those last three words... Gethin for me was a human Ken Doll (despite the rumours that he really wasn't!). Perfectly nice chap, but sexy? No. I remember the week after his "sexy breakthrough" on ITT and how he was heralded as the sexiest thing ever - I wore my "what now? :confused:" face. The same face came in useful with the "Widdy is so funny" and "The Grant is so funny" segments in recent years, as well as the comedy VTs.
  • tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those last three words... Gethin for me was a human Ken Doll (despite the rumours that he really wasn't!). Perfectly nice chap, but sexy? No. I remember the week after his "sexy breakthrough" on ITT and how he was heralded as the sexiest thing ever - I wore my "what now? :confused:" face. The same face came in useful with the "Widdy is so funny" and "The Grant is so funny" segments in recent years, as well as the comedy VTs.

While I agree with the sentiment of your post, I'd happily worship Gethin as the God of Rawsex (ugh, that sounds wrong on so many levels) before I'd consider cracking a smile at BoD.
  • allgrownupallgrownup Posts: 7,066
    Forum Member
    So many people flouncing without even a decent wuzrobbed to justify it. ;) You really read things out there? I gave that up years ago and decided that this thread is the only one worth my while.
  • Alli-FAlli-F Posts: 32,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muggsy wrote: »

I was a Matt di Angelo casual fan just because it annoyed the Gethin fanatics so much. :D

Gethin has never been, is not and could never be sexy. I don't care if he ripped all my clothes off, threw me up against a wall and shagged me senseless, I'd still be too busy laughing my arse off and looking for his comfortable cardi and insist he put it back on before he hurts something. :rolleyes::p

And he's got Lego hair and he was a Blue Peter presenter. By definition, they're not sexy. Just look at Matt Baker. :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.