Ahhhhh ROKU!

gothergother Posts: 14,705
Forum Member
✭✭
I had my ROKU set to the usa and my smart dns set up on my router, for some reason ROKU seems stuck on Netflix USA grrr all my other decvices are switching regions perfectly.
Anyone else having this issue also is it possible to get iplayer, itv player etc on the USA settings other than via plex?

Comments

• c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reboot the Roku after you change regions, as the Netflix app now runs in the background all the time, so region changes won't take effect.

There is no way to have UK apps on a Roku running with a US account, you can only get the UK apps by factory restoring and connecting then to a UK account.
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a quite simple solution to this problem (how I am set up).

You need a second router (preferably wifi n) - any will do (ebay has loads very cheap).

If you want to cast usa netflix to a tv using a chromecast, ability to do static routing is also recommended as well.

Steps as follows:-

1) reset your router back to its standard dns settings (or use bog standard 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 if you are not sure of original settings).

2) Configure second router as a new subnet - many guides on web how to set up a second router - search e.g. "connect two routers lan to wan".

main configuration steps:
    - identify main router IP address
    - for example, let's assume main router IP is 192.168.0.1
    - second router should be given a static IP (outside DHCP range) e.g. 192.168.0.3 assuming range starts at (say) 100.
    - on second router, set up Wan IP as 192.168.0.3
    - on second router, set up LAN IP as (say) 192.168.1.3
    - may need to set gateway IP to LAN IP
    Note 3rd number can be any number so long as different to 3rd number in WAN IP. Recommend using same 4th number to avoid confusion.
    - DHCP should be on on second router.

3) make sure wifi ssid on second is different to that on main router (password set as you want). Also advise a different channel - may have to set channel on main router if set to auto (select 1, 6 or 11 only advised).

4) set up smart dns settings on second router,

5) connect second router with an ethernet cable from lan of main router to wan of second router.

Now, when you want to connect to UK netflix, BBC Iplayer etc, connect to main router wifi. When you want use USA, connect to second router,

Since you know how to change dns settings, then I am sure you will have no problem doing above.

Note: If you want to cast USA netflix to a tv using a chromecast, you will also need to configure static routes (search other post in this forum).
  • gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    There is a quite simple solution to this problem (how I am set up).

You need a second router (preferably wifi n) - any will do (ebay has loads very cheap).

If you want to cast usa netflix to a tv using a chromecast, ability to do static routing is also recommended as well.

Steps as follows:-

1) reset your router back to its standard dns settings (or use bog standard 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 if you are not sure of original settings).

2) Configure second router as a new subnet - many guides on web how to set up a second router - search e.g. "connect two routers lan to wan".

main configuration steps:
    - identify main router IP address
    - for example, let's assume main router IP is 192.168.0.1
    - second router should be given a static IP (outside DHCP range) e.g. 192.168.0.3 assuming range starts at (say) 100.
    - on second router, set up Wan IP as 192.168.0.3
    - on second router, set up LAN IP as (say) 192.168.1.3
    - may need to set gateway IP to LAN IP
    Note 3rd number can be any number so long as different to 3rd number in WAN IP. Recommend using same 4th number to avoid confusion.
    - DHCP should be on on second router.

3) make sure wifi ssid on second is different to that on main router (password set as you want). Also advise a different channel - may have to set channel on main router if set to auto (select 1, 6 or 11 only advised).

4) set up smart dns settings on second router,

5) connect second router with an ethernet cable from lan of main router to wan of second router.

Now, when you want to connect to UK netflix, BBC Iplayer etc, connect to main router wifi. When you want use USA, connect to second router,

Since you know how to change dns settings, then I am sure you will have no problem doing above.

Note: If you want to cast USA netflix to a tv using a chromecast, you will also need to configure static routes (search other post in this forum).

Great advice thanks but unfortuantly i have the virgin media superhub 2 i can't set up dns on that :( my second router is a tp link which is all set up with unblockus smart dns settings i should of really put that in my first post.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reboot the Roku after you change regions, as the Netflix app now runs in the background all the time, so region changes won't take effect.

There is no way to have UK apps on a Roku running with a US account, you can only get the UK apps by factory restoring and connecting then to a UK account.

Thanks for that :) i'll have to buy a Android box or a second ROKU for the uk channels, then again i have 5od,4od and iplayer on my ps3 and i can get itv via plex so should be ok.
    I only just remembered i had them on my ps3 lol i blame the heat. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    Great advice thanks but unfortuantly i have the virgin media superhub 2 i can't set up dns on that :( my second router is a tp link which is all set up with unblockus smart dns settings i should of really put that in my first post.

FORTUNATELY, I am sure you are nearly there. My set up is similar (sky hub which you cannot change DNS) and a TP link setup with DNS.

Firtsly, the Virgin router is the one that must be connected to your broadband adsl socket. if this is set up exactly as the ISP normal setup, you do not need to make any more changes. I don;t know too much about router, but as far as I can tell It must be in wireless mode not modem only mode. Assume IP is 192.168.0.1.

Main trick is to connect lan to wan, and then the TP link subnet is independent of the (virgin) subnet. Then you don't have any problems connecting devices to either as each has its own DCHP active.

I know above works, but you might be able to do following easier setup if you connect LAN to LAN so TPLINK is more like a switch/wireless access point instead.

1) turn off dhcp on tplink

2) setup a static ip address with same subnet as main router but outside main router dchp range (a fourth ip address figure of 2 or 3 is usually ok - tplinks gnerally start at 100) i.e. 192.168.0.2 say.

3) make sure gateway IP on LAN setting in tplink is set to same as static LAN IP i.e. 192.168.0.2 for second router. If you don't do this, I think it will default to gateway of virgin hub and then things amy not work properly.

Simply have different wifi ssid on virgin hub (UK stuff) and tplink router (US stuff).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FORTUNATELY, I am sure you are nearly there. My set up is similar (sky hub which you cannot change DNS) and a TP link setup with DNS.

Firtsly, the Virgin router is the one that must be connected to your broadband adsl socket. if this is set up exactly as the ISP normal setup, you do not need to make any more changes. I don;t know too much about router, but as far as I can tell It must be in wireless mode not modem only mode. Assume IP is 192.168.0.1.

Main trick is to connect lan to wan, and then the TP link subnet is independent of the (virgin) subnet. Then you don't have any problems connecting devices to either as each has its own DCHP active.

I know above works, but you might be able to do following easier setup if you connect LAN to LAN so TPLINK is more like a switch/wireless access point instead.

1) turn off dhcp on tplink

2) setup a static ip address with same subnet as main router but outside main router dchp range (a fourth ip address figure of 2 or 3 is usually ok - tplinks gnerally start at 100) i.e. 192.168.0.2 say.

3) make sure gateway IP on LAN setting in tplink is set to same as static LAN IP i.e. 192.168.0.2 for second router. If you don't do this, I think it will default to gateway of virgin hub and then things amy not work properly.

Simply have different wifi ssid on virgin hub (UK stuff) and tplink router (US stuff).

Cheers mate that seems to of solved it (for now lol).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And we're back to the issues lol, i think it might be my TP link router tbh i've just ordered a Belkin one of Ebay 300mbs for £7 so i'll try that when it arrives see if that solves it as i noticed too my tplink was only achieving 15mbs speeds too when i'm on 50mbs the superhub is hitting 56mbs.tried everything got same results, so i think that the tplink router has had it's day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How are your routers connected?
    Is tp link an older 54 Mbps router if so it could struggle if too far away from roku etc.
    I use a 300 Mbps WiFi router and it works fine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How are your routers connected?
    Is tp link an older 54 Mbps router if so it could struggle if too far away from roku etc.
    I use a 300 Mbps WiFi router and it works fine.

It was the router sadly the wifi has given up the ghost :( i've grabbed my cousins old super router she had from talktalk and connected that to my vm router and the wireless is happily running at 47mbs now :)

The tplink router was a 150mbs one, the one i have coming from Ebay is 300mbs which should be much better (famous last words lol) as my cousin wants her router back next weekend when she gets back from holiday lol.