Don't want Phorm? Download this! (merged)

Comments

• Formula1MadFormula1Mad Posts: 2,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt-08 wrote: »
    Lets take a moment to feel sorry for Internet Explorer users, and Non Digital Spy readers :cry:

Matt

I agree. Let's face it, DS forum users are a select band of people who are very interested in computers, broadband and TV issues. It's why we joined in the first place. You average Joe Bloggs in the street won't have a clue Phorm and that their internet use is being monitored to a certain extent. I'm sure if more of the general public actually knew about what is going on, lots of them would be deeply unhappy about it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Hi.

I'm Pete. I wrote Dephormation. (see www.dephormation.org.uk)

Please understand, Dephormation is not a solution to Phorm. Its a fig leaf.

It cannot protect applications other than Firefox, and cannot guarantee your privacy wishes are respected.

The more you understand Phorms opt out the more you will come to realise you can NEVER opt out of Phorm, except by opting out of your ISP.

Applications which will be affected include web services, mail clients, remote desktop apps, collaboration tools, Microsoft Office, the list is literally endless. All applications which are using http.

If you block Phorm cookies, you have no opt out cookie, so you opt in by default.

If you can't store Phorm cookies, you have no opt out cookie, you opt in by default.

Phorm's cookie expires after 2 year; thereafter you opt in by default.

Phorm claim to have an unpublished white list of application 'agents' which they don't target. Show me the list.

Phorm claim to have a black list of webmail sites which they don't target. Show me the list.

Phorm categorise you, but have not published the categories your identity will be associated with. Show me the list.

Phorm do not publish the specification for their cookies. Show me the specification.

Dephormation is the best protection you have, but it is not the solution.

People fought and died to give you the freedoms and rights you have. You have the right to privacy. Protect your rights or lose them.

Opt in is the solution, or opting out of your ISP.

Pete.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The more you understand Phorms opt out the more you will come to realise you can NEVER opt out of Phorm, except by opting out of your ISP.

This, my friends, has got to be their downfall.

Calling all Legal Eagles....
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Nothing from the Data protection people???????????????????????????????
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    I have been taking a look at thecode behind some of the BT pages for webwise as they seem to be the most advanced in terms of making it available...

The current javascript code can be found at BT (clicking this link will NOT switch on Phorm etc it will simply show as text in your browser)

http://webwise.bt.com/includes/consumer/consumerProducts/js/webwise/webwise.js

The current implementation sets a 2 year cookie as mentioned based on the hostname of the user, it's currently got 'checks' for the 3 ISP's and a 'TEST BLOCK' which checks for a domain 'thelathe.com' any users from this domain are assigned a 'Test User' cookie

all others are identified as BT, Virgin and TalkTalk (the good news for some VM users is that there is currently NO check for NTL or Blueyonder hosts but I imagine that would change. As mentioned by Pete aka Dephormation the current code opts you IN
    function setBTWebwiseStatus(stat) {

setww = document.getElementById('setwebwise');

if (stat) {
            setww.src = "http://webwise.net/webwise_status/setwebwise.php?opt=in";
            setTimeout('setww.src = "http://a.webwise.net/services/OO?op=in"', 1000);

}
        else {
            setww.src = "http://webwise.net/webwise_status/setwebwise.php?opt=out";
            setTimeout('setww.src = "http://a.webwise.net/services/OO?op=out"', 1000);
        }

setTimeout('document.location.href="/index.html"', 2000);
        return false;
    /*
        if (stat) {
            createCookie(btwwCookieName, btwwCookieValue, 10);
        }
        else {
            eraseCookie(btwwCookieName);
        }

window.history.go(-1);
        return false;
    */
    }

Note the URL in the function above is not on SSL
    <p>
    <a href="#" onclick="return setBTWebwiseStatus(true);">
    Switch BT Webwise ON
    </a>
      | 
    <a href="#" onclick="return setBTWebwiseStatus(false);">
    Keep BT Webwise OFF for Now
    </a>
    </p>

This domain is registered (from 2003) to 'The Lathe Inc' via 'Go Daddy' this appears to tie in with the other 'Phorm' domains as far although this one has not been registered via a 'proxy'

The company here are registered in New York the CEO is a chap named Seth Perlman whom it appears MAY be a senior partner in a NY Law firm Perlman & Perlman the 'business' is definately though registered to a 'virtual' office 73 Spring Street, Suite 407

The more I look at this the more it seems to 'smell fishy' however in fairness to Phorm they have gone to a great length to speak about the service the constant refrences to 'phising protection' and 'fraud protection' are complete red herrings.
    When you switch on INSERT YOUR ISP HERE Webwise, your additional fraud protection will begin. Also, the ads you see on regular websites will begin to have additional relevance to the topics you are interested in.

It has just occured to me we have a glimpse of an 'untruth' now the interview that Kent Ertegrul (CEO of Phorm) gave to the register (read the full interview at http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03/07/phorm_interview_burgess_ertegrul/) states:
    KE: It's important to understand the distinction between actually recording stuff and concluding stuff. All of our systems sit inside BT's network.

So why is the OPT in and OPT out system pointing to the webwise domain (which is not maintained or controlled by BT)

So then Phorm APPEAR to have systems located in VM and TalkTalk to ala 'The Profiler' wil the optout for these ISP's also use the webwise domain which from what I can gather is currently using PHORM nameservers, a traceroute on this points to the US first then back to the UK (seemingly Fasthosts)

Also something else that occured to me was the idea that as URL's from major search engines are collected could this not prove 'legal for Phorm as it could be argued they are 'trading' off the goodwill of an established 'brand'
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you block Phorm cookies, you have no opt out cookie, so you opt in by default.

I thought that they had specifically said that blocking their cookies = permanent opt-out.

I delete my cookies regularly, and I want to keep Webwise switched off. How do I do that?

If you regularly delete your cookies and want to ensure that Webwise is permanently switched off, simply add "www.webwise.net" to the Blocked Cookies settings in your browser.

[Although, of course, even when "opted out", data is still "mirrored to the profiler"]
    Forum Member
    I have done the download....What should I see in cookies? I keep getting two....
    a.webwise.net and webwise.net.
    I thought Virgin had not implemented it yet.....or are these from the download?
    Thanks.
    I added the block in the browser. That seems to have worked......
    Still concerned that VM may have already started.....

Anyone have the email address to forward complaints to please...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    call100 wrote: »
    Still concerned that VM may have already started.....

From the virginmedia website:

"We are currently at the early stages of working to deliver the Webwise solution and will be writing to you nearer the time to advise when the solution will be ‘switched on’ providing more detail of what this will mean to you."

From the FAQs, "Customers won’t be forced to use the system, and will have the choice to keep their internet experience exactly as it is now. As we get closer to launch we’ll explain how this will work."

Maybe someone out there could answer this question for me...

I use OpenDNS so will phorm impact upon me the same as everyone else?

From my understanding looking at the following documents it appears the request made by the browser to visit a site is intercepted, docs here:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/29/phorm_documents/

From my understanding, as I use OpenDNS, when my browser requests to visit a site it makes that request to the OpenDNS servers and not Virgins?

I'm half asleep though so I could have misread things and misunderstood. Would phorm be able to intercept the request from my browser to OpenDNS?
    Forum Member
    Well it looks like VM have started installing Webwise without telling anyone or giving anyone a choice.......Check your cookies......
  • duckapluckduckapluck Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Checked mine and i have webwise in cookies and though im not comp savvy im careful and have anti spyware etc.

NOT happy
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just been in the customer zone and couldnt resist posting in the soundbites section.
    An aptly named soundbite titled Privacy Laws.

I thought it best to give as many customers as possible a hint about Phorm

Anyone else care to have their say?
    http://boards.virginmedia.com/siren/celebrity/haveyoursay/privacylaws.html
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it looks like VM have started installing Webwise without telling anyone or giving anyone a choice.......Check your cookies......
    If you have the dephormation extension installed, you will see a cookie that looks like it is from Webwise when in fact it is the one automatically created each time that you launch Firefox.

I think that you might also pick up a cookie if you visit the Webwise site via one of the many links that have been posted (but I am not 100% sure).
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    If you have the dephormation extension installed, you will see a cookie that looks like it is from Webwise when in fact it is the one automatically created each time that you launch Firefox.

I think that you might also pick up a cookie if you visit the Webwise site via one of the many links that have been posted (but I am not 100% sure).

Ok. I have blocked both the cookies. Does this mean that Dephormation will not work......??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok. I have blocked both the cookies. Does this mean that Dephormation will not work......??
    I don't think that you need to block anything - dephormation will either create its own cookie or will overwrite anything that Phorm/Webwise might throw at you, regardless as to whether VM have implemented anything yet (which I doubt)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benf90 wrote: »
    I use OpenDNS so will phorm impact upon me the same as everyone else?

From my understanding looking at the following documents it appears the request made by the browser to visit a site is intercepted.

Using OpenDNS makes no difference. Phorm works by intercepting the HTTP request, not the DNS query. The DNS query just provides the IP address so that the HTTP request can be made.

Even if it did work by intercepting the DNS query, the query is still going through the Virgin network. (OpenDNS's servers are not owned by Virgin, but every query you make to them takes place over the Virgin network for the first couple of hops, so they could still intercept the information if they wanted to.)

The HTTP request will always go through Virgin's network, along with all the rest of your Internet traffic on any protocol. There's nothing you can do about it, apart from switching to a different ISP.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    At least all the commotion now is gaining momentum, Phorms share price has dropped 20% today and it also appears that certain 'investors' are starting to reduce their stock hodings in the company.
  • artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=758923

Started on the 8th and been active ever since ;) Suprised you missed it. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    at the risk of sounding very dumb....what is phorm? never heard of it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    at the risk of sounding very dumb....what is phorm? never heard of it!

Take a look at this post for some links

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=22155723&postcount=2
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this needs repeating, The formula for Phorm failure is Dephormation in Firefox.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    How is this different from simply blocking cookies?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    How is this different from simply blocking cookies?
    If cookies are blocked, then the assumption by Phorm is that you are opted-in.
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    If cookies are blocked, then the assumption by Phorm is that you are opted-in.

But then a major part of their data is missing, the unique ID (UID) that is stored in their cookie, this means that their data cannot be tied back to your browser :)
  • TheBruce1TheBruce1 Posts: 907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm Pete. I wrote Dephormation. (see www.dephormation.org.uk)

Thanks Pete, keep up the good work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a quick question.

I've downloaded the anti-phorm add-on that was given by the OP. I've since downloaded a few different add-ons to firefox (mainly adblock). This won't affect the anti-phorm add-on that i originally downloaded will it?