Another Car Help thread

cathh70cathh70 Posts: 3,951
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have got a new car on order, it was due for collection on 1st March, Saturday.

This date suited me because my current car tax runs out on Friday 29th, my MOT expires then too, and the car needs a service. Getting the new car would eliminate the need for all these things and the dealer knows this.

Today, with 4 days to go, and having already rearranged my insurance cover, I get a phone call, the car will now not be ready until 7th March.

They have offered to take my car as planned on Saturday, and loan me a car, with them covering insurance until my new car is available. Does this sound fair? Should I be pushing for any other 'compensation'?

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds fair to me, if you're going to ask for compensation, what do you want compensating for?
  • cathh70cathh70 Posts: 3,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone at work said that they knew someone who was paid an amount for each day their car was delivered late, a penalty clause if you like. I didn't know if it was common practice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lending you a car.
    Covering insurance.

There being fair.

If you think your entitled to more then ask them to fill it up with petrol for you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No disrespect to you, but the UK is in a compensation culture, it comes down to what YOU feel is acceptable, if you feel you are entitled to more, ask for it, although some issues are just out of someone's control.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with everyone else. What are you complaining about? You are getting a free courtesy car with free insurance. It sounds like they are taking care of your delay very well.

Why on earth do you want to claim 'compensation'. They could have left you in the lurch without a car or any contact of when your new one is being delivered.

You are having to wait an extra 6 days (which is hardly a big deal) for your car and getting the luxury of an all expenses paid car for those 6 days.

Cry compo and they will tell you to get lost.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats fair enough to me!

Unfair is when the dealer loses the logbook, then youy have to wait ages for the new one and barely offered us anything as compensation (what happened to my dad)
  • cathh70cathh70 Posts: 3,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone, I thought that would be the concensus. I personally wouldn't push it any further but a colleague thought that I should, I was just checking to see if people agreed with me or my colleague.
  • CruachanCruachan Posts: 7,211
    Forum Member
    The small print on the order form will tell you what you are entitled to for delayed delivery - and that is probably nothing.

So, similar to what others have said already, think yourself lucky that the car dealer believes in keeping the customer happy.

And best wishes for happy motoring in your new car.

EDIT - crossed in the post with your latest.
  • FinglongaFinglonga Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got to ask . . . . . What car are you getting?:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Providing the car they loan you is a courtesy car and is FOC, then yes it is fair.

Some places would say tough !