Millions set to flood Britain in 2014

Comments

• MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    Who said anything about mitigation? If the law was changed to remove the automatic right to work in any EU country then those UK citizens living in the EU would have to come back here. So you'd trade one lot of people for another. If the debate really was just about numbers this wouldn't matter of course. But it's about more than that. You've only got to read the OP's posts to see that.

Well the concern seems to be more about the type of immigration rather than the raw numbers. Allowing mass unskilled immigration (which is what has generally happened over the last 10 years) has undoubtedly had negative as well as positive effects on the UK. Unfortunately those UK citizens at the bottom tend to be those most affected by the negative points.
    Are you another who only sees migration to the UK and ignores the migration to the rest of the EU's richer nations?

Not surprisingly you are seeing similar concerns voiced in those other nations as well. Perhaps freedom of movement for unskilled labour has had its day?
  • KNIGTHOUTKNIGTHOUT Posts: 779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the UK government really considering a negative ad campaign to disuade immigratation?
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/gallery/2013/jan/29/immigration-britain-ministers-gallery#/?picture=403153052&index=0

Still Romanians don't seems oppossed to immigration going the other way.
    http://whydontyoucomeover.gandul.info/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    allafix wrote: »
    Aren't you sitting behind a monitor, or computer screen of some kind, too?

The number of ex-pat Brits abroad is an important counterpoint to those who complain about immigrants flooding the UK, regardless of how the ex-pat Brits affect the country they live in. It is all about numbers, isn't it? I mean it can't be about ethnic origins because that would be racism and immigration debates are never racist.

Ethnic origins are irrelevant, but there's a big difference.

When Britons relocate abroad, we behave as guests and respect the cultures of our hosts. 90% of expats move to countries where the quality of life is equal or better.

Quite a large number of those coming to live in the UK are not familiar with how we do things here, and arrive with no intention of learning or adapting, and have little to offer.

It's not racist to claim that we need to start limiting the number of new immigrants and be more selective about who we let in. Australia, Canada, the US, in fact most developed countries only take immigrants whose skills are in very short supply. It's a perfectly normal course of action.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And they have done that in less than three years?

And I thought people were complaining that they are inefficient.:D

And wasn't the increase in net immigration under this government due to the fall of emigration after it has been running at record highs under the last government?

If you had read my post you should have read that my experience of Tory Governments goes back decades.

The only reason that the Tories won most seats this time is because people under 25 are too young to remember how bad they were the last time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Meilie wrote: »
    When Britons relocate abroad, we behave as guests and respect the cultures of our hosts.

For that you owe me a new keyboard.

I'm guessing that whole stereotype of Brits (okay, English mostly) knowing two languages - English and English-spoken-slowly-and-loudly-at-foreigners - doesn't have any basis whatsoever in reality, then... and what about Costa del Kev?
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    If you had read my post you should have read that my experience of Tory Governments goes back decades.

The only reason that the Tories won most seats this time is because people under 25 are too young to remember how bad they were the last time.

Or remember how Jim Callaghan's Labour government bankrupted us the time before that and had to go begging to the IMF. People seem to forget about that. Even those who are old enough to remember.
  • timetosaygoodbytimetosaygoodby Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we are not on post 82 and no one has even given reasons for uncontrolled mass immigration from Romania and Bulgaria, is it because you cannot think of any valid reasons?

Instead of insulting people who want immigration to stop may be you can now finally tell us why unrestricted immigration should Romania and Bulgaria should be allowed in 2014
    Forum Member
    mithy73 wrote: »
    For that you owe me a new keyboard.

I'm guessing that whole stereotype of Brits (okay, English mostly) knowing two languages - English and English-spoken-slowly-and-loudly-at-foreigners - doesn't have any basis whatsoever in reality, then... and what about Costa del Kev?

English is the international language. There are more English speakers in China than there are in the United States.

It's taught all over Europe, where an increasing number of companies send their non-fluent employees on English courses.

If English is your first language then there's not much point in learning other languages, although it does help.
    Forum Member
    we are not on post 82 and no one has even given reasons for uncontrolled mass immigration from Romania and Bulgaria, is it because you cannot think of any valid reasons

Instead of insulting people who want immigration to stop may be you can now finally tell us why unrestricted immigration should Romania and Bulgaria should be allowed in 2014

♫ Don't ask any more stupid questions, you already know the answers... ♫

No-one has given reasons because no-one is under any obligation to provide any. Furthermore, unless you address your post at someone specifically, no-one is likely to do so either. And since "uncontrolled mass immigration" is a scare story, an assertion from the likes of the Express (a rag I would not even keep in an outhouse) without adequate data to back it up, there seems little need to do so.
    Forum Member
    English is the international language. There are more English speakers in China than there are in the United States.

It's taught all over Europe, where an increasing number of companies send their non-fluent employees on English courses.

If English is your first language then there's not much point in learning other languages, although it does help.

So much for respecting other cultures then. The very least one could do, as a guest, is attempt to converse with the locals in their native tongue. I thought you said Brits integrated better?
  • mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we are not on post 82 and no one has even given reasons for uncontrolled mass immigration from Romania and Bulgaria, is it because you cannot think of any valid reasons?

Simple, because our masters in Brussels said so. do you actually think any British government has any say in the matter? That was the deal that was made when we joined the EU which means we are now part of a much bigger thing which involves many countries with free access through each others borders
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ♫ Don't ask any more stupid questions, you already know the answers... ♫

No-one has given reasons because no-one is under any obligation to provide any. Furthermore, unless you address your post at someone specifically, no-one is likely to do so either.

i already know the answers.... you have no answers because in theory you like uncontrolled immigration but in practice it has been totally devastating
    Forum Member
    i already know the answers.... you have no answers because in theory you like uncontrolled immigration but in practice it has been totally devastating

You overreach yourself in your presumption of what I may or may not like. You can safely assume that I strongly dislike your type. Beyond that, you're on quicksand. What is, is. And I have answers, but I don't accept your premises so it's doubtful that you would find them useful.
  • CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.express.co.uk/comment/expresscomment/376748/Flood-of-poor-Bulgarian-immigrants-is-more-pressure-on-resources

'a poll conducted by Bulgaria’s state television last week 54 per cent of those questioned said they would rather come to Britain than stay in their impoverished home country.'

Anyone is any doubt about next years flood should read about the conditions for a large percentage of the population:

'JUST three miles from Bulgaria’s capital city Sofia lie shanty towns of shocking squalor where hungry Roma children lie nine to a bed and rats forage for food in excrement-strewn streets'

And on top of that now even the German people are saying they have had enough:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/9851577/German-warning-over-Romanian-and-Bulgarian-migration.html

Sign this petition to restrict Bulgarian and Romanians from entering the UK:
    http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/41492

Heading towards 20,000 (signatures set to double in two weeks)

Won't matter what we sign Government will do what it wants always has and always will :cool:

It the British took the jobs they wouldn't come but system as it is suits Brits as they live on benefits and the rest come here and take the jobs so its a Win Win situation for everyone :)
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member

See, that's a rude attitude english people have. My native language is English, and I don't have to bother learning any other language.

If I go somewhere as a tourist, I always try to learn the basics, so I can at least greet the locals in their own language, do some shopping etc. You can't get to know people and culture if you don't speak the language. Especially people who live in Span for more then 10 years, and still don't bother to learn their language.

On the other hand, when people from other countries come to live in Britain, you all can't wait to moan how they don't speak the language and don't wanna fit into society.

"When in Rome, do as the Romans do" If you expect people who come to live in the UK from abroad to speak your language, you have to learn their language too when you off to live in their countries. Don't you agree?
    Forum Member
    Yes I agree you have no brains. The majority of people living abroad are retired and do so because their retirement income stretches further, ironically in countries like Bulgaria.

British migration to Spain has resulted in Spain being home to one of the largest British-born populations outside of the United Kingdom. Migration from the UK to Spain has increased rapidly since the late 1990s and the British population of Spain in 2006 was estimated to be about 761,000 (more than twenty-five times the population of Gibraltar).[1][2] Of these, according to the BBC and contrary to popular belief, only about 21.5% are over the age of 65.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_migration_to_Spain
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Millions?'

Even Migrationwatch has suggested no more than 250,000 at most.
    Forum Member
    British migration to Spain has resulted in Spain being home to one of the largest British-born populations outside of the United Kingdom. Migration from the UK to Spain has increased rapidly since the late 1990s and the British population of Spain in 2006 was estimated to be about 761,000 (more than twenty-five times the population of Gibraltar).[1][2] Of these, according to the BBC and contrary to popular belief, only about 21.5% are over the age of 65.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_migration_to_Spain

On a point of order - the other poster said 'abroad', not just 'Spain'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    'Millions?'

no one knows the exact figures because the government have no clue and will not even provide an estimate. It was estimated 14,000 polish would come and in only 7 years to the census it was officially over 600,000 likely to be higher in reality. And on top Romania and Bulgaria are much poorer
    Forum Member
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    'Millions?'

Indeed, we're not talking about anything that's anything like on the scale of the effects on migration of the 2004 accessions, and the Express and others who pepper their posts with words like "uncontrolled mass immigration" are scaremongering. "Oh," they will say, "but people said there wouldn't be large-scale immigration in 2004, and there was, wasn't there?" - conveniently missing the point that when even Migrationwatch says you're scaremongering, then you really are in tinfoil-hat territory.
    no one knows the exact figures because the government have no clue and will not even provide an estimate. It was estimated 14,000 polish would come and in only 7 years to the census it was officially over 600,000 likely to be higher in reality. And on top Romania and Bulgaria are much poorer

...but unlike the A8 countries in 2004, Bulgarians and Romanians will have 24 other states to choose from.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed, we're not talking about anything that's anything like on the scale of the effects on migration of the 2004 accessions, and the Express and others who pepper their posts with words like "uncontrolled mass immigration" are scaremongering. "Oh," they will say, "but people said there wouldn't be large-scale immigration in 2004, and there was, wasn't there?" - conveniently missing the point that when even Migrationwatch says you're scaremongering, then you really are in tinfoil-hat territory.

lets hypothetically say yo are correct and the figures are not massive (which I really doubt) but even low figures e.g. 40-50,000 (which even the left wing papers estimate) would be a disaster. There are simply no jobs, the benefits system cannot cope, the NHS cannot cope
    Forum Member
    lets hypothetically say yo are correct and the figures are not massive (which I really doubt) but even low figures e.g. 40-50,000 (which even the left wing papers estimate) would be a disaster. There are simply no jobs, the benefits system cannot cope, the NHS cannot cope

Oh, don't be so silly and melodramatic. Even if every single one of those 40-50,000 descended on London, our capital wouldn't even notice. And if there really are no jobs, then those coming here won't get jobs, won't be classed as 'workers', and consequently won't be eligible for benefits. And the benefits system and the NHS are in far greater danger from our masters in Whitehall than from aspiring entrepreneurs in Sofia or Bucharest.
    Forum Member
    On a point of order - the other poster said 'abroad', not just 'Spain'.

The majority of all British people living abroad are not over retirement age.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/in_depth/brits_abroad/html/
    Percentage of British expats aged 64+

Canada            31.7%
    United States     24.2%
    Australia         23.9%
    Spain             21.5%
    France            12.5%

Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/in_depth/brits_abroad/html/
    Percentage of British expats aged 64+

Canada            31.7%
    United States     24.2%
    Australia         23.9%
    Spain             21.5%
    France            12.5%

I did also say the majority of Brits were self sufficient so have you got figures to show British people are a burden on the other nations e.g. claiming benefits. The vast majority do not

Whereas in the UK it was in the papers this week that millions of pounds are sent in child support benefit to people in Poland who do not even live here, yet another reason Romanians and Bulgarians will come
    Forum Member

One does not necessarily have to be over the statutory pension age in order to be retired. Also, that data's six years or so out of date.