Pain in mouth/tooth

stephen122333stephen122333 Posts: 912
Forum Member
✭✭
My friend has a pain in her mouth

She currently has these symptoms;
Tingling in tongue that went away quickly.then pain under the tooth,throbbing tooth,hot flushes,pain in the tooth pain goes away with iproben but some hot flashes/hotness comes sometimes.

My she thinks it is a tooth infection as it feels the same as it did a few months ago.
She had had a filling in the tooth that was infected.

She went to an emergency dentist on Sunday who couldn't see anything wrong.

She went to her own dentist on Monday, who couldn't see anything, but did loosen the filling, and told her to come back if the pain doesn't go away.

She went back today, and the dentist still couldn't see anything, but has given her some antibiotics and said he will send her to the hospital. He did tell her it want cancer (something she has a big fear of).

Does anyone have any experience of anything like this.

Somewhere she saw/heard neuralgia, from what I have read it does kind of fit, but seems unlikely due to her age (30).

Many thanks

Comments

• Butterfly8588Butterfly8588 Posts: 701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Stephen,
    I know a lot about Trigeminal Neuralgia because at one point the drs thought i had it. From what i understand age isnt a huge factor in it but the ibuprofen wouldnt help i dont think. That doesnt mean she may not have aggrevated the Trigeminal nerve somehow though.
    Generally the pain is in the cheek area as well and sometimes over the top of the eyebrow (on the same side obviously) as well.
    I think she needs to describe to you the type of pain she's getting. If it's shooting lightning type pains then maybe but it may be worth speaking to a dr about it anyway.
    There is a Trigeminal Neuralgia website you can go to and speak to people with the condition even if you dont have it you can join. It's also free to do so.
    I hope the pain goes soon and you've found this helpful.

Take Care xx
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    This kind of pain over a period of time is very wearing. The trigeminal nerve is connected to the teeth, and it may be that the trouble she's had with that tooth has sent that nerve into overdrive. Hopefully if there is infection the antibiotics will soon kick in and it will all settle.

I had trigeminal neuralgia a couple of years ago, triggered by a severe sinus infection. My first port of call when the pain started, before I got a diagnosis, was my dentist because I felt pain in all of my upper teeth on the affected side. There was nothing wrong with my teeth at all, but the nerve was jangling. Severe pain, even codeine didn't touch it. I was prescribed meds used to treat epilepsy which calmed the nerve down and thankfully have never had it happen again.

If your friend's pain persists, I'd suggest she takes the option of going to the hospital so that they can investigate further. It may also be worth her querying with whoever she sees whether it may in fact be neuralgia. I hope she feels better soon :)