Options

Caroline Flack no hip movement or bounce

Comments

• Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bits of it looked very good to me. although I am no expert in the samba and it is my least favourite dance. I half wish for Simon to be in the bottom two so we can see how it should have been without the error.

But I hope he's not because his FT was my dance of the night. Again I don't know what to look for in any of the ballroom dances but that looked to me like a really good foxtrot and personally I think it should have had the top mark of the night.

Mine too. He was so at ease and assured as he moved across the floor. I never felt in the least bit anxious for him...it was just a wonderfully relaxed and joyful performance. You could tell from Simon's face he loved every second of it :)

I'm sort of glad he performed the Samba first so that the audience's most recent memory of him when the voting lines opened was his Foxtrot.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    pon farr wrote: »
    Well deserved 40 in my opinion, best dance of the night.

I agree, the judges agree and most people with a brain agree. Some people are just born haters.
  • Options
    Liza with a ZeeLiza with a Zee Posts: 1,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was fab, her hips were great. You don't need a "bounce" for a salsa. Brilliant
  • Options
    sradiasradia Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was great, the best dance of the night and deserved to be scored higher than any other dance. Considering the marking gone before it, I can't see how they could have given it less that 40.
  • Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sofakat wrote: »
    I know, I know. It makes those of us who do know either laugh out loud, or just snort and walk away.

Watching Strictly does not make you an expert but some people think that is all it takes!

Those of us who have studied dance for years just roll our eyes or burst out laughing :D

Laughter is the best antidote to pontificating!

One doesn't have to be an expert to pass an opinion. Watching strictly certainly doesn't make one an expert! If it wasn't for strictly and this forum and the kindness of some forum users, I would have never learnt anything about dancing. OK I make some mistakes, but I do, do some research. What does make me feel rather sad is that some people will at every opportunity put other forum members down rather than gently correcting them.

Life is about learning my fellow forum user:) Help people to learn. It is commendable that you are an expert. A bit of humility goes a long way.
  • Options
    Malc LondonMalc London Posts: 2,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sofakat wrote: »
    I know, I know. It makes those of us who do know either laugh out loud, or just snort and walk away.

Watching Strictly does not make you an expert but some people think that is all it takes!

Those of us who have studied dance for years just roll our eyes or burst out laughing :D

Laughter is the best antidote to pontificating!

I can't play Golf, but I know a good shot from a bad one.

And the "experts" so often disagree, so how can your opinion be any of any worth. There are experts more expert than you.
  • Options
    F&CStrictlyBlogF&CStrictlyBlog Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    Spy queen wrote: »
    You do bounce in a Salsa, moved her legs but not hips. I have been a dance champion for years in the Salsa so I think I know what I am talking about.

No.

Definitely no bounce in salsa. I get very frustrated by the representation of salsa on the show. As some of the other posters have said, it's a dance that many pros are not familiar with, and that shows. Although I wasn't keen on the music - though thankful it was at least vaguely latin - I thought this one was more like salsa should be like than most others on Strictly. It was danced pretty well too.

Re. first real salsa on the show, I'm a fan of John Barnes and Nicole's. It was really grounded and earthy, and with a fab track (Ran Kan Kan - Tito Puente.) IIRC, Brian brought the first 'crossbody' style to the show. Previous to that it had been referred to as 'Cuban Salsa', but that was always a very questionable description, in my opinion.

C.
    http://frankieandcloverstrictly.blogspot.co.uk/
  • Options
    ElectratElectrat Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was very much a dance of 2 halves. She really gave it some welly with her top half which really helped sell it, but her legs were not of the same calibre and the transitions from one section to the next was lacking drive and conviction. It was fun but not a 40 dance. What I 'hated' was the over inflated score, not Caroline or the dance!
  • Options
    MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am sure Caroline was dancing a Salsa not a Samba, so the need for hip action & bounce is not essential. Did lose steam in the middle though.
  • Options
    Stuart25Stuart25 Posts: 12,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scout2006 wrote: »
    What, their "mini VW's"? The VW steps formed the minority of both routines and neither of them changed direction without coming out of hold. That's not the celebs fault, that's either bad choreography, bad teaching or a combination of the two. Caroline and Simon didn't dance perfect ballroom routines but at least their pro's choreographed routines suitable for a semi-final.

Yes. I thought they were both better than Caroline's Foxtrot. For one, they weren't shaking in hold and there was minimal gapping, compared to her's.
  • Options
    fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    bornfree wrote: »
    One doesn't have to be an expert to pass an opinion. Watching strictly certainly doesn't make one an expert! If it wasn't for strictly and this forum and the kindness of some forum users, I would have never learnt anything about dancing. OK I make some mistakes, but I do, do some research. What does make me feel rather sad is that some people will at every opportunity put other forum members down rather than gently correcting them.

Life is about learning my fellow forum user:) Help people to learn. It is commendable that you are an expert. A bit of humility goes a long way.

Here Here, well said
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    No.

Definitely no bounce in salsa. I get very frustrated by the representation of salsa on the show. As some of the other posters have said, it's a dance that many pros are not familiar with, and that shows. Although I wasn't keen on the music - though thankful it was at least vaguely latin - I thought this one was more like salsa should be like than most others on Strictly. It was danced pretty well too.

Re. first real salsa on the show, I'm a fan of John Barnes and Nicole's. It was really grounded and earthy, and with a fab track (Ran Kan Kan - Tito Puente.) IIRC, Brian brought the first 'crossbody' style to the show. Previous to that it had been referred to as 'Cuban Salsa', but that was always a very questionable description, in my opinion.

C.
    http://frankieandcloverstrictly.blogspot.co.uk/

Absolutely.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How interesting. Which style do you favour? Which salsa competitions have you won?

It doesn't look like we're ever going to find out. :cry::cry::cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 336
    Forum Member

Yes, but when you read some of these posts it doesn't come across as if they are passing an opinion. They try to stress their point by mentioning dance technicalities which makes it look as if they know something when, in actual fact, they're just quoting what they've heard from the judges. For the record, I know absolutely nothing. I just know what I like when I see it.
  • Options
    Flora_McDonaldFlora_McDonald Posts: 963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cezzy wrote: »
    Loved it! Sometimes selling a dance means more than making it perfect.

Its a 10 from me also.

I agree. Throughout that Salsa, I knew that Craig would award his first 10, because he had previously explained that he awards a 10 when the performance level is such that he's so caught up in it that he stops thinking about being a judge.

I actually thought that Caroline's foxtrot was another of the stand-out dances of the evening. It had more obvious technical flaws, but the amount of emotion she invested in it, and Pasha's wonderful choreography created something sublime and magically different to normal foxtrots..

For me, dance is an expression of an emotional and physical reaction to music. When performing, the ability to engage the audience and involve them in the emotion of the piece is possibly more important than technical perfection because the "rules" of dance are strictures which are fluid, and constantly evolving - rather like fashion.. and I don't necessarily concur with the idea that artistry should be rigidly shackled by tradition, and in the end, neither do the judges.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree. Throughout that Salsa, I knew that Craig would award his first 10, because he had previously explained that he awards a 10 when the performance level is such that he's so caught up in it that he stops thinking about being a judge.

I actually thought that Caroline's foxtrot was another of the stand-out dances of the evening. It had more obvious technical flaws, but the amount of emotion she invested in it, and Pasha's wonderful choreography created something sublime and magically different to normal foxtrots..

For me, dance is an expression of an emotional and physical reaction to music. When performing, the ability to engage the audience and involve them in the emotion of the piece is possibly more important than technical perfection because the "rules" of dance are strictures which are fluid, and constantly evolving - rather like fashion.. and I don't necessarily concur with the idea that artistry should be rigidly shackled by tradition, and in the end, neither do the judges.

Good point Flora. :)
  • Options
    via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And I am Marie of Romania.
    Good to meet you Marie.
    How's Ferdi these days? ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    via_487 wrote: »
    Good to meet you Marie.
    How's Ferdi these days? ;-)

Last time I enquired I heard he was reclusive and lethargic. :(:)
  • Options
    via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last time I enquired I heard he was reclusive and lethargic. :(:)
    Lol! :).... :(
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Whilst things do change, they should remain rooted in the actual dance, otherwise just do something else.

The constraints and playing within them is where a lot of the artistry happens,

I used to be awesome in a leotard and flowy skirt and bare feet myself, but it ain't Latin and Ballroom, and to be honest everything sinking into 'interpretive' dance, complete with earnest expressions and tortured and/or hackneyd sub balletic choreo frankly bores the crap out of me and I don't really want it to happen.

And I am saddened by everything Latin being turned into discoshowdance to some vague latin beat. I find that very boring too.

Each to their own.
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Carline Flack and Kovalev have topped the DS viewer poll with a huge 60.52% of the vote, having also topped the judges' leaderboard on Saturday night. They performed the foxtrot and salsa, and also secured the first 40 of the 2014 series.

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s104/strictly-come-dancing/news/a616452/strictly-come-dancing-poll-caroline-flack-is-semi-final-favourite.html#~oYr22lU1HXaeoh#ixzz3LtAQiot7
    Follow us: @digitalspy on Twitter | digitalspyuk on Facebook

Looks like a forgone winner for next Saturday.
  • Options
    daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh .. save your breath. If you haven't studied dance then you will be (politely at first) patted on the head and told you dont know jack about it. They will tell you to listen and learn despite the fact that this is an entertainment show first and foremost and we are all expert on what entertains us. Plus learn what? We listen to four judges and numerous other experts on ITT each week and most of the time they have conflicting opinions.

Imagine being told that you couldn't enjoy .. or recognise .. a good dish served at Heston's cos you're not a trained chef!! Of course it's good to have input from 'experts' but not if it's going to be used to belittle people.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A.D.P wrote: »
    Looks like a forgone winner for next Saturday.

I shall study Oddschecker and decide my plan of action. Personally, I can't stand her.
  • Options
    scout2006scout2006 Posts: 7,084
    Forum Member
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    I shall study Oddschecker and decide my plan of action. Personally, I can't stand her.

You don't have a firearms licence, do you?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    daziechain wrote: »
    Oh .. save your breath. If you haven't studied dance then you will be (politely at first) patted on the head and told you dont know jack about it. They will tell you to listen and learn despite the fact that this is an entertainment show first and foremost and we are all expert on what entertains us. Plus learn what? We listen to four judges and numerous other experts on ITT each week and most of the time they have conflicting opinions.

Imagine being told that you couldn't enjoy .. or recognise .. a good dish served at Heston's cos you're not a trained chef!! Of course it's good to have input from 'experts' but not if it's going to be used to belittle people.

I keep reading this phrase and I wish someone would explain where this 'official line' came from. And no, you're not making an opinion, you are stating this as fact. If it's an entrtainment show, first and foremost, then why do the celeb dancers put so much time and dedication into their training to be able to do the dances to the best of their ability? Waste of time surely if it's only entertainment value? A couple of hours a week would be enough. I've no problem with it being an entertainment show, I just can't understand why they bother showing you the celebs in training an making an issue out of how many hours a week they all train. Do the celebs actually know it's not a dance contest and have the BBC made this clear to them?