Options

Guy Martin's Spitfire.

ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
Forum Member
✭✭
I have no idea who Guy Martin is or what his talents are but TV presenting doesn't appear to be one of them.
This potentially interesting documentary is not improved by his presence or by my having to fast forward through his bits as they are delivered in an undecipherable accent.

Comments

• Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't come from Lincoln but find his accent easy to understand and his presenting style engaging besides it was apparent how passionate he is about engineering by how readily the experts let him be part of the team.
    For anyone who's not seen Closer to the Edge I'd recommend a watch, one of the best Motorsport documentaries ever made.
  • Options
    ricardorobertoricardoroberto Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    I find it hard to watch anything he is in. A modern Fred Dibnar but more annoying with his constant grinning and "eh?" after everything he says.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boksbox wrote: »
    I don't come from Lincoln but find his accent easy to understand and his presenting style engaging besides it was apparent how passionate he is about engineering by how readily the experts let him be part of the team.
    For anyone who's not seen Closer to the Edge I'd recommend a watch, one of the best Motorsport documentaries ever made.

I suppose that I could have guessed that someone complaining about accents would be from London. It seems on DS that if you do not have a London accent then you are unintelligible.
  • Options
    UlsterguyUlsterguy Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it hard to watch anything he is in. A modern Fred Dibnar but more annoying with his constant grinning and "eh?" after everything he says.

I remember his awful canal barge programme.
  • Options
    SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's definitely Marmite, but I quite like Marmite. As for his talents... truck mechanic, bike racer... proper bloke.
  • Options
    chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did they actually use anything from the original plane? Didn't look like it to me. If not, why was it so special to the 2 daughters.
    Not that they didn't do an excellent job on it though.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a sign of the times that TV networks consider that programmes have to be pitched at this level to attract an audience.

Any programme that has Julia Bradbury, Kate Humble and the likes with "equal billing" in the title, means that I won't watch it.

I'm afraid he's one of them.
  • Options
    VetinariVetinari Posts: 3,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although being from the Sarf-East I find him perfectly understandable and a likeable character who 'knows his onions'.

I must admit, though, I do wish they could 'turn him down' a fraction. Not too much, just a little.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vetinari wrote: »
    Although being from the Sarf-East I find him perfectly understandable and a likeable character who 'knows his onions'.

I must admit, though, I do wish they could 'turn him down' a fraction. Not too much, just a little.

For us, it's his quirky personality that makes him so watchable. He does seem genuinely enthusiastic about being able to get stuck in, but perhaps I'm just getting that from his book that I recently read. He has his faults, we all do, but I think he's quite a breath of fresh-air on the telly... and even if he is a lot like Fred Dibnah, is that really such a bad thing? I think it's great that somebody as young as Guy (I know he looks older, but he's only 33!) shares some of the values of Fred, much better than spraying yourself orange and pretending you can sing so that a screaming iphone-waving crowd can boo at you.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    Who do you think would win in a race between Guy on his superbike and Fred on his traction engine? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Who do you think would win in a race between Guy on his superbike and Fred on his traction engine? :D

Fred, because Guy would probably crash :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guy is a mechanic and has a passion for vehicles. He is ideal for doing this type of show - knowledgeable, passionate and can put his money where his mouth is when it comes to this type of machine and work...you don't get many presenters turning such precision pieces on a lathe...to the point that just having it in ones hand makes it too big to fit in the slot in was made for.

His accent is absolutely fine and I like that accent of that area anyway.
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I suppose that I could have guessed that someone complaining about accents would be from London. It seems on DS that if you do not have a London accent then you are unintelligible.

I have no problem with Guy or his accent; both me and my wife can understand him without any problem. Some of the strong accents you hear in London are bloody awful.
  • Options
    guy60guy60 Posts: 721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Much prefer Guy's regional accent to the awful London accent that is all too prevalent
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair I'm from West Yorks and have had people struggle with my accent but I find GM's accent extremely hard to follow.
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »

What a ridiculous thing to say. Im a Londoner and I find accents very easy to hear, including his. Keep your prejudices to yourself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like "BBC English"

It's usually clear and understandable.

Any regional accent can have some words that are spoken in a way that is difficult to understand.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chopsim wrote: »
    Did they actually use anything from the original plane? Didn't look like it to me. If not, why was it so special to the 2 daughters.
    Not that they didn't do an excellent job on it though.

Wasn't much left of it to be fair:

http://www.iwcp.co.uk/Files/Images/l04%201N3200%20Sangatte%20Beach%20Spring%201986%20Image%20by%20JP%20Duriez%20Peter%20R%20Arnold%20Collection%2001.jpg?width=2500&height=1708

They said about 9 mins in that they were able to extract a few bits from the original plane but obviously the airframe itself was so rusted and fragile that they wouldn't have been able to use that. So it did have some original parts inside it but mostly it was a reproduction following the original plans and building techniques.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    tiacat wrote: »
    What a ridiculous thing to say. Im a Londoner and I find accents very easy to hear, including his. Keep your prejudices to yourself.

Doesn't matter where you're from, some people find it easier than others with accents generally.
    I know my working class London accent and the speed at which I talk is hard work for East Europeans, but it's very very rare that they 'speak up' and tell me to slow down, they just stare baffled instead :)
    As I haven't worked in an Office or on the Phones for 10 years, I've reverted back to my South London accent more and more.

Anyway I've watched all of Guy's recent outings for Channel 4, including his passion's program over Christmas, the 'problems' I've had with them aren't down to his accent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Over the years due to an increasingly accentuated accent, "I now have to use sub-titles to understand Neil Oliver."
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He annoys me how he often repeats the ends of sentences to make sure you heard him first time.
  • Options
    Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please at least he shows an enthusiasm for the subject and his undoubted joy at flying the two seater spitfire for a whole 5 seconds was great, and accent or not, gurning or not he gets that across so very well.

I mean it needed some enthusiasm cos Iain Glenn's commentary was dry as to leave you gasping for water.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hamlet77 wrote: »
    Please at least he shows an enthusiasm for the subject and his undoubted joy at flying the two seater spitfire for a whole 5 seconds was great, and accent or not, gurning or not he gets that across so very well.

I mean it needed some enthusiasm cos Iain Glenn's commentary was dry as to leave you gasping for water.

Oddly enough I thought Iain Glen's v/o was terrific (although I thought it was John Nettles).:blush:
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Hamlet77 wrote: »

Can't find the thread for this program the first time it aired.
    It was full of holes and not up to much IMO.

IMO it's hard to beat enthusiastic people being enthusiastic and excitable, I've watched a few docs about subjects that don't really interest me, because of the enthusiastic people fronting it.
    Still needs the 'dry' voice over for those who want some, less excitable factual content.
    I thought it was a bit cheeky putting Guy in the title the way they did, but, it doesn't matter how good the doc is if nobody's watching.
    There's a lot of content out there, need to do something to catch the eye, I suppose.

Oh for those who don't know or didn't watch his Passions program, he's got a Royce Merlin engine from a Lancaster.
    Took him something like 4 years to save for it IIRC.
    He decided to see what it sounded like at full power 2800 rpm?? instead of 1500 rpm one day in the Truck workshop, the engine took off, took a wall out, cut the stairs, chopped his bicycle into bits and launched some bits at a truck and damaged it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Speed with Guy Martin" on 4seven at the moment.

Balls of steel that man.