Options

The Voice is Racist

LurkingGoodLurkingGood Posts: 676
Forum Member
✭✭
The proportion of Welsh contestants on this show is completely disproportionate to the UK population and therefore the show is racist.

Of course that statement is rubbish but it is always wheeled out and taken seriously when the word Welsh is replaced with Black.

Comments

• Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok seriously how is this racist??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    Who cares? Black people invented music, they deserve to be represented more IMHO, especially as they're underrepresented by other shows e.g. award shows (and that's an international problem, not just the UK)
  • Options
    RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Black people invented music

I can't cope
  • Options
    hearts51hearts51 Posts: 2,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Black people invented music? Don't make me laugh,everybody knows it was the Bay city rollers :):):)
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Idiot thread.
  • Options
    goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hearts51 wrote: »
    Black people invented music? Don't make me laugh,everybody knows it was the Bay city rollers :):):)

No it was Barry Manilow he sung '' I write the songs'' :D
  • Options
    snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The proportion of Welsh contestants on this show is completely disproportionate to the UK population and therefore the show is racist.

Of course that statement is rubbish but it is always wheeled out and taken seriously when the word Welsh is replaced with Black.

And the most ridiculous comment of the day goes to..........?
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What a bizarre way to make a point.:confused:

Why don't you just say what you want to say?

You should consider going into politics, if you're not in the game already.
  • Options
    nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member

Or Jewish, for that matter. Personally, I couldn't give a damn what colour, race or religion someone is, only if they can sing.
  • Options
    KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    Wow. What an elevated intelligent thread.

NOT.
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member

:confused: What exactly is your point? There are a disproportionate number of Welsh singers in your opinion and you are giving your point gravitas by bringing in race or you do actually think there are a disproportionate number of black contestants and you are using the Welsh analogy to stir this up?

Or it isn't about the show at all but a general comment on racism and our view on racism in talent shows :confused::confused:
  • Options
    hilduffluvahilduffluva Posts: 3,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, can someone inform me...when did Welsh become a race?
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, can someone inform me...when did Welsh become a race?

Well, there's the welsh Grand National, and that hurdler was pretty good.
  • Options
    hilduffluvahilduffluva Posts: 3,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »

hahahahaha that was a good one! But this OP needs to look up the word race in the dictionary!
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :confused: What exactly is your point? There are a disproportionate number of Welsh singers in your opinion and you are giving your point gravitas by bringing in race or you do actually think there are a disproportionate number of black contestants and you are using the Welsh analogy to stir this up?

Or it isn't about the show at all but a general comment on racism and our view on racism in talent shows :confused::confused:
    I took it as a comment about accusations of racism. "Of course that statement is rubbish", meaning that accusations of Welsh racism are rubbish, and then reasoning by analogy that accusations of Black racism are equally rubbish. LurkingGood was not themselves being racist or making an accusation of racism; they were mocking the latter.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

YEH !!!!:p
  • Options
    Nigel_BourneNigel_Bourne Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    alan29 wrote: »

The Welsh are only Irish people that can't swim.
  • Options
    notinnotin Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who cares? Black people invented music, they deserve to be represented more IMHO, especially as they're underrepresented by other shows e.g. award shows (and that's an international problem, not just the UK)

Oh my, the good old racist word has been spoken and it all goes into the world of madness! Perhaps the population of Wales are applying because good old Tom is on the show, just goes to show u what a well regarded musician Tom is.
  • Options
    AnotherBoxAnotherBox Posts: 2,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's PC people (NOT) like the OP that make this world a difficult place to enjoy for fear of making some daft remark that someone will twist into an extreme.
    I'd go and see a shrink if I were you LurkingGood, especially as you seem unable to judge that most of the welsh can actually sing, which is why maybe more of them get through in the first place - unlike some of the egotistical wannabees that they show on the X-Factor of course.
    Oh, and don't forget to buy a dictionary as well ^_^
  • Options
    Thom001Thom001 Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Now that's something I agree with. If it wasn't for gospel music, we just won't have rock 'n' roll.
  • Options
    mandyxxxxmandyxxxx Posts: 1,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    I took it as a comment about accusations of racism. "Of course that statement is rubbish", meaning that accusations of Welsh racism are rubbish, and then reasoning by analogy that accusations of Black racism are equally rubbish. LurkingGood was not themselves being racist or making an accusation of racism; they were mocking the latter.

So did I, but I think perhaps reasoning by analogy is a slightly too esoteric skill to use on a forum such as this one, so misunderstandings, whether involuntary or deliberate, are only to be expected, hence the 'outrage' in some of the reply posts..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mandyxxxx wrote: »
    So did I, but I think perhaps reasoning by analogy is a slightly too esoteric skill to use on a forum such as this one, so misunderstandings, whether involuntary or deliberate, are only to be expected, hence the 'outrage' in some of the reply posts..

I think you're investing to much intelligence and credibility to the opening post. Reasoning by analogy isn't and does not have to be esoteric and is actually a very simple way of getting across your point.

The problem with the OP is that it needs some kind of introduction and conclusion. Otherwise, like the poster you quoted and the rest on her, they have had to take it to mean something and wasted time and posting doing that rather than discussing the actual point the OP wanted to make.

Perhaps this is what the original poster wanted ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    brangdon wrote: »

Yes but on The Voice, other talent shows, TV or just generally. I feel we need more information so we can discuss it properly rather than discuss what the OP might mean. I appreciate the thread is called The Voice is Racist and it is of course in The Voice forum but where are the accusations of racism the OP is getting at :confused:
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snafu65 wrote: »
    And the most ridiculous comment of the day goes to..........?

Post No. 3 would get my vote.
  • Options
    TyrTyr Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Black people invented music

o_O

For God's sake, man. This is the age of the internet, all knowledge of the known universe is just a few mouse clicks away. There is no excuse for this kind of ignorance anymore.