Options

Do you dream in colour?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    Do we dream in colour, or is it just a pigment of our imagination?

Pretty bad it has to be said.:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,667
    Forum Member
    jarryhack wrote: »
    My dreams are like novels some nights, but although they are in colour, they are like a washed out colour, or a washed out watercolour.

Can you go back into them and continue? Some are saying they can. And can you influence them in any way? Are you actually aware you are dreaming?
  • Options
    teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    Yes.

I upgraded the licence years ago:D

Moved on to LCD recently (decided against Plasma)

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Laugh of the day
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always dream in colour and always have done. Has anyone here ever had a lucid dream? I've had dreams where I've become aware that I'm dreaming and then I wake up, but I can't really control what I do in them. I know some people can though.
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've felt pain in dreams. You become aware of it, it comes into the dream then takes it over and then wakes you up and you realise it was there in your dream. I think it sort of brings you to the surface.
    My dreams are extremely vivid, which is great with good ones, not so fun with bad ones. I haven't had a bad one in years, but I once dreamt I was being stabbed repeatedly, and woke up shaking and in tears, the feeling stays for a long time after.
    Mainly my dreams are good these days and that feeling stays too.

:eek::eek::eek::

That sounds horrific. But surely you didn't feel any kind of painful sensation that knife to flesh would bring? If think you feel something and the mind tells you it's pain as part of the illusion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's fascinating! I've become aware I'm in an actual dream once or twice and managed to wake myself up when they weren't nice, but never actually controlled the dream. Considering the way a good dream makes me feel - if I could do it it would be therapy on tap!
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    Can you go back into them and continue? Some are saying they can. And can you influence them in any way? Are you actually aware you are dreaming?

I have had a continuation of a dream a few nights after but if I influenced it I can't be sure. As for being aware I'm dreaming, then yes sometimes I am.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek::

That sounds horrific. But surely you didn't feel any kind of painful sensation that knife to flesh would bring? If think you feel something and the mind tells you it's pain as part of the illusion.

It wasn't good! Especially as I was sleeping on an airbed in a tent! I think my brain interpreted the actions as pain and fear, that's what I remember feeling.
    I don't get many bad dreams, that was a while ago now, I did dream that I was at the vet and it was really, really bad when one of my animals was ill recently and woke up crying. It's your brain expressing - or giving voice - to your concerns I think!

That all sounds gloomy though, I do have a tendency to dream that someone is giving me a big hug, and I wake up feeling warm, cosy and smiling - that also stays with me for a while.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dreams are usually in colour but the other four senses are not present in the dream most of the time. I suppose my dreams are nothing more than a series of scenes (often in a weird order) and usually silent.

However, one time in a dream I was drinking a can of coke and I could swear I actually felt the can :eek:
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I definitely dream in colour.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Colour and monochrome are artificial aspects of film processing. I very much doubt that they have any analogues in human dreams. But there may be physiological reasons for poor colour perception in dreams.

Colour sense in humans is good in daylight but greatly attenuated in poor lighting conditions because the colour-detecting cells in the retina, called cones, don't respond well in low light levels. If you dream in "black and white", could it be that you're simply dreaming of low light levels? Or possibly the other cells, the rods, are simply more likely to be stimulated during dreaming sleep and so the visual cortex's colour perception areas are, so to speak, offline.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ........is that no?
    :D
  • Options
    Lobelia OverhilLobelia Overhil Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, and no. Sometimes I dream in a sort of septia tint, and more than once in a blue tint...

I can lucid dream, I usually realise I'm dreaming because I can't walk properly (because of the way I'm lying in bed). In one dream I'd gotten married, and it was my wedding reception, I had no idea whom I'd gotten married to, and spent the dream trying to find him (another sign that I'm dreaming is that I never recognise people in my dreams, they are nearly always strangers - I've only dreamed of people I know in RL a few times) I was finally told the groom was "over there" and he was standing off in the distance, so I started walking towards him. I started to wake up, but I wanted to know who I'd gotten married too and willed myself to stay asleep and in the dream in order to find out! Turned out to be a guy I know in RL who hates me and has made his feelings towards me quite clear! :confused:

Quite often I'll have very vivid dreams where the colours are all as they should be, but I'm in a strange place, I can even feel things I'm touching, but I can't hear anything, if someone speaks to me, it's more like telepathy...

I've also experienced sleep paralysis and an incubus...
  • Options
    Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    Frood wrote: »
    Yes.

I upgraded the licence years ago:D

Moved on to LCD recently (decided against Plasma)

I somehow misread that as "I upgraded the fiance years ago".

I do dream in colour and have never had a lucid dream or been able to control them.

I once dreamed I was being eaten by a lion that leapt out of my attic and chased me round the house before having me for dinner. I wouldn't recommend it, it's bloody painful.
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    My dreams are always colourful
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »
    My dreams are always colourful

Hey mrs t, long time no see, how's it going?
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sara Webb wrote: »
    Hey mrs t, long time no see, how's it going?

Good I have to say :)

After a hectic couple of years my dreams are amazing and would probably make Soap Status :D
  • Options
    Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I reckon I'm getting other peoples dreams cos what I see has bugger all to do with anything I've experienced.

Call it cosmic conciousness if you like, but sometimes at a later date something very close to what I saw happened.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    I dream in hologravision.
    Princess Leia is almost as real as the ejaculate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    I dream in hologravision.
    Princess Leia is almost as real as the ejaculate.

Ewwwww.

Thanks for that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always dreamed in colour.

Except for the one where I was on Captain Pugwash's ship where I was the only bit in colour.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    This is an interesting subject. Yes I do- though sometimes it is hard to remember.

If you have particularly vivid dreams, you will often find they are in colour.

It's also interesting that not everyone dreams in the first person.
  • Options
    Chihiro94Chihiro94 Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dreams are always in colour. I've even had a lucid dream, where I thought this is way too good to be true, and piched my arm and felt nothing, but was able to continue for a little while.

However, I don't think I've dreamt in over a year :cry: I just close my eyes, fall asleep eventually, and then wake up. It;s basically blinking a few hours away,

How do you start dreaming again? :cry: I miss them.
  • Options
    The PuzzlerThe Puzzler Posts: 7,689
    Forum Member
    Yes, always. I even retain my sense of touch when I dream, which reinforces my belief that we go to different dimensions when we sleep.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Chihiro94 wrote: »
    My dreams are always in colour. I've even had a lucid dream, where I thought this is way too good to be true, and piched my arm and felt nothing, but was able to continue for a little while.

However, I don't think I've dreamt in over a year :cry: I just close my eyes, fall asleep eventually, and then wake up. It;s basically blinking a few hours away,

How do you start dreaming again? :cry: I miss them.

I've had lucid dreams too. Very very odd when they happen. Sometimes I don't remember all that much about them afterwards, but at the time, they are the strangest thing. Very vivid. You realise you are dreaming and can do whatever you want, and it can be pretty realistic.