Signed up for Sky Broadband & Talk...but nothing.

DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hey, I've not been on here for a while, but let me explain my situation.

Firstly, what is an Ionica box doing on the kitchen wall, why does it need power and is it needed to get other Internet access from other providers? The Ionica box has a cable going out through the wall to the outside, and another cable going through through the house. It's plugged into the mains, but we can't seem to power the device on. We have no idea what is it or if it's needed. There is no model number at all on the box. There is a cable that runs from this box, through the house to a double phone socket.

Basically, my girlfriend has moved into a flat and I'll be moving in within a few weeks. Last month she ordered Sky broadband and phone. They said they'd send out an engineer to come today (24th Jul) but then she got a message from Openreach saying it had been cancelled as they can do it from where ever. Sky said it would have been activated by today. She's tried plugging her filter into the phone socket, and the router/phone line into that but there is just nothing. Only the sound of a faint hiss down the phone line. No dial tone. The router just says it has power and WiFi.

I'm wondering if the cabling in the flat is dodgy. There's an Ionica box on the wall in the kitchen which has a cable going out, and a cable coming in. It's plugged into the mains, but we can't seem to power the device on. We have no idea what is it or if it's needed. There is no model number at all on the box. There is a cable that runs from this box, through the house to a double phone socket.

Help? :(

Edit; After some research, Ionica was an alternative telephone service using radio waves, and have gone bust. But there's a telephone line running from the Ionica box. Where the hell is the landline? I can't for the life of me find it.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never heard of Ionica, but from what I gather it's a dead communications provider. If that box goes back to somewhere, unplug it and I'd start there.

If it's a double socket it's possible only one is active, try both.

If both are dead, start hunting for another :)

It is also possible, but unlikely that you haven't been activated yet, as it can occur up to around 7pm. It was 3pm when I was switched to Sky, previous changeovers have happened around 8:30am to 11am.

Ring Sky to make sure you have been activated - contact the landlord in the flat or if you have any details of the last tenant to ask about the functionality of the Ionica box.

Just get info gathering. HTH :

I doubt the Ionica box will work as it's a wireless local loop device by the sounds of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ionica_(company)
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Additional;

Just rang the telephone number that has been assigned to her house (which shouldn't work as the phone isn't active yet), and it rang! It had been diverted to a completely different number, and some bloke answered. He said it's happening regularly that people are being redirected to his number and he's in contact with BT about it.