Options

New Humax Freesat+ HDR 1000S review

Comments

• Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Using the box properly would be to press the guide button, any other way is a work around :rolleyes:

That's the most ridicolous statement. If Humax reversed the procedure to display the cached epg and download a new one from scratch that would make it the correct way to operate the box :eek:. It's not a workaround they have different functions. Pressing zero boots the box so does the power button, both are equally valid. Lots of shortcuts available to the more astute owners. In the epg tapping in a channel number jumps directly to the channel data. In replay mode tapping in the point in the recording you want to jump to works.

Like I said learn how to use it :eek:

There is still no Freesat+ pvr that you can buy that gets anywhere near what you can do with a Foxsat especially with the custom firmware.
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    carvell wrote: »
    The black box does have a display, it's just masked so that you can't see it unless it's on.

Are you sure, the close up pick doesn't look like it has a display.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/86961327@N08/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    Now compare the front of the unit of your link to the front of the unit in the Flickr link as they are not exactly the same.
    Here you go, both together http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z126/gonzo1_photo/BA543375-12E5-4797-9866-051448E6D47F-1434-00000138F86A19E5.jpg

One is just taken from a slightly higher viewpoint. There's loads of pictures around now on the net of the black unit.

Perhaps this might convince you

http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/freesat-g2/page/2#post-9757
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Now compare the front of the unit of your link to the front of the unit in the Flickr link as they are not exactly the same.
    Here you go, both together http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z126/gonzo1_photo/BA543375-12E5-4797-9866-051448E6D47F-1434-00000138F86A19E5.jpg
    And all 3 pics together.
    http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z126/gonzo1_photo/1EFA19EA-706E-4795-BD6D-D2D341ED9E55-1434-0000013AA31AE2C0.jpg

What you're seeing as a different bottom half - ie. the one that looks grey and without a display - is really just the bright reflection from the white surface it's standing on obscuring all detail and giving the appearance of a different bottom fascia.

It's an optical illusion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Eston Bleu wrote: »
    What you're seeing as a different bottom half - ie. the one that looks grey and without a display - is really just the bright reflection from the white surface it's standing on obscuring all detail and giving the appearance of a different bottom fascia.

It's an optical illusion.

Yeah now you mention it, I can see that that's maybe what I'm seeing.:)
  • Options
    Night WatchmanNight Watchman Posts: 1,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if the new box still blanks out the picture and does a full update every time the guide button is pressed, LOL

There is no Guide button or Schedule button anymore on the remote - you access the full EPG through the menu as shown in the photo. You press Menu then choose TV Guide from the scroll-down list and are presented first with Now and Next (still with partial picture and sound) then if you press OK you get the full EPG with P-I-P top right (and sound) so you don't loose the current programme you are watching - at least not when I saw it in operation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder why the black box doesn't have a display?

Sorry, I forget to mention the white box was the one being used for the demo, the black box was only for display purposes - it was just an empty shell!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry, I forget to mention the white box was the one being used for the demo, the black box was only for display purposes - it was just an empty shell!

Thanks, out of interest did that empty shell have a grey bottom without a display or was it just the reflection off the white surface?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, out of interest did that empty shell have a grey bottom without a display or was it just the reflection off the white surface?
    It was completely black with a display window - the grey colour in the photo (taken with my phone) was just the reflection from the table top. The models (apart from the colour) are externally identical. Also although the white box was being used for the demonstration it had the black boxes innards so it was not a production white model i.e. no built-in Wi-Fi. Don't ask me why they did it like this. Maybe to confuse the competition :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It was completely black with a display window - the grey colour in the photo (taken with my phone) was just the reflection from the table top. The models (apart from the colour) are externally identical. Also although the white box was being used for the demonstration it had the black boxes innards so it was not a production white model i.e. no built-in Wi-Fi. Don't ask me why they did it like this. Maybe to confuse the competition :D

Cool, thank you :)
  • Options
    IQ1IQ1 Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    There is no Guide button or Schedule button anymore on the remote - you access the full EPG through the menu as shown in the photo. You press Menu then choose TV Guide from the scroll-down list and are presented first with Now and Next (still with partial picture and sound) then if you press OK you get the full EPG with P-I-P top right (and sound) so you don't loose the current programme you are watching - at least not when I saw it in operation.

At the moment with my old HDR I can press one button once to get the EPG up (labeled Guide on the remote).

With no "Guide" button on the 1000S remote it sounds like I'll have to press a few buttons possibly a few times to get the full EPG up !

If this is true it doesn't sound like an improvement to me, in fact it sounds really annoying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IQ1 wrote: »
    At the moment with my old HDR I can press one button once to get the EPG up (labeled Guide on the remote).

With no "Guide" button on the 1000S remote it sounds like I'll have to press a few buttons possibly a few times to get the full EPG up !

If this is true it doesn't sound like an improvement to me, in fact it sounds really annoying.

There is a guide button, look at the remote photos. Above OK and cursor keys to the right.

From Barry MyHumax

Couple of points to correct errors seen elsewhere.

Guide button - There is a TV Guide button on the remote.

Remote Picture You can just about make it out button above right of central control.

Schedule button - Whilst there isn't one, there is a recording button, press that then up twice and you are displaying your planner (schedule list)
  • Options
    IQ1IQ1 Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    That's alright then, it would be really stupid to make PVR remote without a guide button. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to have confused everyone. My fault - I couldn't remember seeing it. The new UI is very Menu driven rather than remote driven. There are I think 11 buttons fewer on the new remote. However it is a lot easier to negotiate through the new Menu than the current Menu. Once you get used to it of course. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    On the Foxsat HDR, you press Guide for a full refresh and Schedule > Green for a cached copy.

Is there a way on the new box to get the cached guide without having to download a new one from scratch?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eston Bleu wrote: »
    On the Foxsat HDR, you press Guide for a full refresh and Schedule > Green for a cached copy.

Is there a way on the new box to get the cached guide without having to download a new one from scratch?

It's schedule and red.

Night Watchman has already posted that the guide is instant and you don't lose your picture at all (it's above the epg data in a small window). Presumably the box now defaults to the cached epg.

Lots of pictures around now of the UI.
  • Options
    HDMIHDMI Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does it have the hidden menu for non freesat via a disec switch
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HDMI wrote: »
    Does it have the hidden menu for non freesat via a disec switch

From Barry MyHumax

Will DiSEqC switches be supported: Yes, during installation of the product it can detect the DiSEqC input required. The HDR-1000S will support DiSEqC 1.0 and 2.0

Will Motorise Systems be supported: Unfortunately not from launch. We are planning to support DiSEqC 1.2 and USALS at a later date.

Will SCD (Single Cable Distribution) be supported: Unfortunately not from launch, we do plan to support SCD a few months after the product is released.

Best to read the whole thread first. If you have queries Barry is the best source to find out (assuming Humax will let him post the info).
  • Options
    CK26A1CK26A1 Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Can I ask if the new Freetime EPG , Showcase, Planner etc will look the same, graphics wise, whether it is on a Humax, Pace, Sagem box or any box made by whoever wants to make them ? Currently the EPG varies greatly in colour, design, graphics etc, depending on the box manufacturer.
  • Options
    bampsambampsam Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just placed an order on Comet website for delivery 24/9. Must book the day off now! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CK26A1 wrote: »
    Can I ask if the new Freetime EPG , Showcase, Planner etc will look the same, graphics wise, whether it is on a Humax, Pace, Sagem box or any box made by whoever wants to make them ? Currently the EPG varies greatly in colour, design, graphics etc, depending on the box manufacturer.

I doubt anyone can possibly answer that yet. Freesat don't publish details of the specs that the makers have to conform to, so no way of knowing what sort of design latitude is allowed. We have a good idea how the Humax UI looks, until other boxes appear it will be a closely guarded secret.

Youview is a bit different, the UI is designed by Youview and uses there own code so should be pretty much the same on all kit.
  • Options
    REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt anyone can possibly answer that yet. Freesat don't publish details of the specs that the makers have to conform to, so no way of knowing what sort of design latitude is allowed. We have a good idea how the Humax UI looks, until other boxes appear it will be a closely guarded secret.

Youview is a bit different, the UI is designed by Youview and uses there own code so should be pretty much the same on all kit.

Yes - and YouView do publish specs.
  • Options
    CK26A1CK26A1 Posts: 212
    Forum Member

I would have thought that Freesat would insist that the Freetime graphics etc would be the same across all box manufacturers, otherwise if everyone is allowed to "fiddle" with it to suit themselves, then cheap and cheerful versions of it will appear in the less expensive boxes and this would surely dilute and undermine the whole Freetime idea.