Options

Mass walkout by pupils forces school into U-turn

JasonJason Posts: 76,557
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What a great story ..

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/rhys-johnson-allowed-back-class-2339130
A school which banned a teenager from class for having his head shaved for charity has been forced to back down after a mass walkout by pupils.

Rhys Johnson, 14, was ordered to be taught in isolation for flouting the school uniform code and getting his head shaved at a Macmillan cancer charity event last weekend.

The teenager, from Milford Haven, west Wales, raised £700 with a friend when he took part in the charity's UK-wide annual coffee morning.

The Milford Haven School pupil wanted to raise cash for cancer research after his aunt was diagnosed with the potentially fatal disease.

But he went ahead with the charity event despite being warned in advance by the school not to get his head shaved.

As a result he was removed from class when he showed up at school last Monday without a hair on his head and was subsequently taught in isolation.

A walkout by up to 250 school pupils in protest at his continued separation from the rest of the school appears to have helped force a rethink.

Lucy O'Neill, the teenager's mother, said her son would be allowed back in to classes as normal from next Monday

Surely the school could have given him a one-time waiver from the uniform code because of what he was doing ?. Good on the rest of the kids for sticking together and showing the school how ridiculous the decision was.

Comments

• Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WE DON'T NEED NO EDUUUUUUUCATION .....

dumb
    ass
    school

should have sued them
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He wouldn't have had any grounds to sue them, but he's done the next best thing by making sure the papers are aware.
  • Options
    justatechjustatech Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What an idiot.

Told not to shave his head, but blithely goes ahead and does so.

Then acts proud because not only has he disrupted his own education, he has also disrupted 250 other children's education.

If he was my son I would smack him one hard for being an obnoxious little brat. And I would sue the school for letting him back in before his hair grew.

And those people who condone his actions on the grounds of 'but it was for charidee' need to grow up and recognise the impossible position that the school has been placed by this little toerag.

Will you be so pleased when it's your kids roaming the streets because the school has said no to whatever little foible some brat has come up with?
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's as bad as schools in parts of the US suspending kids because they point a pen at someone and make gun noises :rolleyes:

Sometimes I think society is getting dumber.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    justatech wrote: »
    What an idiot.

Then acts proud because not only has he disrupted his own education, he has also disrupted 250 other children's education.

If he was my son I would smack him one hard for being an obnoxious little brat. And I would sue the school for letting him back in before his hair grew.

And those people who condone his actions on the grounds of 'but it was for charidee' need to grow up and recognise the impossible position that the school has been placed by this little toerag.

Will you be so pleased when it's your kids roaming the streets because the school has said no to whatever little foible some brat has come up with?

As Rik once said to Vyvyan .. "I've told you a million times, do not exaggerate.." ;)
  • Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How on earth can a shaven head even be against uniform rules? :confused:

I understand having rules regarding drastic hair cuts like styles and non-natural colours, etc but what on earth is wrong with what - for a guy - is a fairly typical hair cut?
  • Options
    sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spkx wrote: »
    How on earth can a shaven head even be against uniform rules? :confused:

I understand having rules regarding drastic hair cuts like styles and non-natural colours, etc but what on earth is wrong with what - for a guy - is a fairly typical hair cut?

All the schools my kids have attended have had this as part of their uniform policy. It's not unusual. However, I think most schools would turn a blind eye, given the circumstances.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sofieellis wrote: »
    I think most schools would turn a blind eye, given the circumstances.

Exactly. And if they really wanted to be seen to be following the rules, as I said, why not give him a one-off waiver?

It's not like there would be a rush of kids suddenly wanting to shave their heads to raise money for charity ..
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why are people willing to pay for someone to have their head shaved ?

If they want to be sponsored, why don't they do something useful ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    School tells someone not to do something, they do it anyway, and yet the school is wrong to get annoyed?

This sort of attitude is why children and teens are out of control and do what they like knowing there will be no repercussions for it. Ridiculous.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zora wrote: »
    School tells someone not to do something, they do it anyway, and yet the school is wrong to get annoyed?

This sort of attitude is why children and teens are out of control and do what they like knowing there will be no repercussions for it. Ridiculous.

Christ, it's not like he crapped in a box of kittens is it ?
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It the kid had been the one with cancer and lost all his hair would that have broken the school uniform rules?

I think they should have agreed beforehand that this was for a good cause and a special case.

As they didn't maybe he could have borrowed a wig.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christ, it's not like he crapped in a box of kittens is it ?

When on earth did it become some henious thing to want people to follow the rules? I'm not saying never have fun, but for someone like this lad to just go off and do what they want and then try to demonise authority figures for nothing more than being authority figures seems absurd to me.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was at school there were rules on how long your hair could be for a male, but nothing on how short it could be , so whilst I agree with abiding by uniform rules etc , this one is a bit silly to me he wasn't asking to have a mohican and dye it bright orange with glittery bits , merely shave it for charity and shaved or short hair does not look scruffy especially if the rest of the uniform is intact.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst I disagree with school uniforms (most other countries seem to manage perfectly well without them) if they are going to have a uniform it makes no sense that the school can also dictate things like haircuts. What do they think this is? North Korea where EVERYONE looks IDENTICAL?! :confused:

Good on them for walking out :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    justatech wrote: »
    What an idiot.

Or possibly proud because he has raised £700 for a good and valuable charity?
    I'm kind of hoping you don't have a son here...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »

Good on them for walking out :)

I fear for the future. :(
  • Options
    biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would fear more for a future of people cow-towing to nonsensical and inflexible rules.

We had that years ago,before 'the proletariat' found their voice and became imancipated.

I've been wondering, in recent years, where the healthy voice of youthful dissention had got to.
    It appears to be back, I'm glad to say.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why? :confused:

What we need in this country is more civil disobedience.

People need to realise they have power. It's fantastic these young people all walked out in a show of solidarity.

It teaches a few important lessons too; just because it's an official institution it doesn't mean they always get it right, and that peaceful protest is effective.

When I was in school I organised a petition to get a particularly incompetent teacher sacked.. this just reminded me of that for some reason. Power to the kids! :)

You do realise that North Korea dictates haircuts don't you? Why do you think British schools should be able to be so.. fascist? :eek::confused:
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member

Oh dear oh dear oh dear, like the school and the education authority you've completely missed the point.

This was a well organised charity fundraising effort for a well known cancer charity close to his heart because of a relative who is very ill. It's exactly the kind of character-building event that schools and parents should be encouraging school children to do and is exactly the kind of thing that rules were meant to have discretionary exceptions for. Yes, even for a head-shaving breach of the standard school rules.

Nearly everyone can see that, including most of the other pupils at the school by the look of it. The school had absolutely no justification for failing to make an exception to the normal rules for an event such as this in this pupil's personal circumstances. None. Zero. Zilch. The County Council's "jobsworth" statement at the end of the article is ridiculous, they should be embarrassed by it.

An exception should have been made in this case and I applaud the 'errant' schoolboy and his fellow pupils for their stand: well done indeed to them all, there's hope for the future of the Country after all. It's warmed the cockles of me 'eart. :)
  • Options
    ReservedReserved Posts: 12,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The replies in this thread have me baffled.

A kid getting his hair cut shouldn't be a problem, end of. I don't care why he's done it, it shouldn't be part of any 'uniform' to be FORCED to look a certain way. What if you prefer a shaved head to any other style? What if it suits you best? Suck it up because the place you go to learn has dictated to you that you can't possibly shame the school with a shaved head?

Why do parents allow their kids to even apply for such schools? I can't believe that, going by some posts in here, it seems to be common to have rules about how your OWN HAIR should look at all times, just to please the school you go to. Ridiculous.
  • Options
    biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reserved wrote: »

A kid getting his hair cut shouldn't be a problem, end of. I don't care why he's done it, it shouldn't be part of any 'uniform' to be FORCED to look a certain way. What if you prefer a shaved head to any other style? What if it suits you best? Suck it up because the place you go to learn has dictated to you that you can't possibly shame the school with a shaved head?

Why do parents allow their kids to even apply for such schools? I can't believe that, going by some posts in here, it seems to be common to have rules about how your OWN HAIR should look at all times, just to please the school you go to. Ridiculous.

I agree.
  • Options
    trayhop123trayhop123 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    @zora and justatech

your obviously both entitled to your opinion , ,,,,,,, and erm i dont want to break any forum etiquette or reduce my reply to juvenile insults ,,,,,,

but ,,,,, erm ,,,, ''T*I*T*S"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reserved wrote: »

Exactly.

It's kinda ironic really - those that are supporting the school are just the sort of conservative people who ordinarily would probably agree with LESS state control...

This makes it bloody hypocritical that they could support such 'fascism' for lack of a better word.

But then again that's typical conservatism.. more freedom for themselves, less for other people...
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Exactly.

It's kinda ironic really - those that are supporting the school are just the sort of conservative people who ordinarily would probably agree with LESS state control...

This makes it bloody hypocritical that they could support such 'fascism' for lack of a better word.

But then again that's typical conservatism.. more freedom for themselves, less for other people...

When it comes to kids in school, some people will support any rule a school make, however needless, and will then demand that all pupils follow it rigidly without exception. Something about schoolchildren seems to bring out the inner fascist in some people.