Speciesism

Comments

• KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Why not get a lobotomy, so you can be at one with nature like the fluffy bunnies?
  • Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    Society is changing.

There was a time most straight people hated gay people.

There was a time most white people supported the slave trade of black people.

Animal Liberation will happen. It will just take time.

Animals are sentient beings capable of feeling joy, pain, sadness, fear, love, just like human beings.

They deserve to be protected and respected.

Speciesism is primarily a superiority complex.

Are adults superior to children and if so does that mean we can abuse children?

I don't think they are but superiority complexes are linked to devaluation of human and animal lives.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hoppyuppy wrote: »
    ...If man wasn't around, there would be a lot more environment to change...

Natural environment changes could reduce places for animals to live. Not just humans.
    KJ44 wrote: »
    Why not get a lobotomy, so you can be at one with nature like the fluffy bunnies?

A bit harsh...
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member

Opening the link and scrolling down the the section entitled "Humans and infanticide" tends to negate your argument.
    Forum Member
    Louise32 wrote: »
    Society is changing.

There was a time most straight people hated gay people.

There was a time most white people supported the slave trade of black people.

Animal Liberation will happen. It will just take time.

How are prey going to be liberated if they have non-human predators? Are the guinea pigs going on strike?
    Forum Member
    Opening the link and scrolling down the the section entitled "Humans and infanticide" tends to negate your argument.

No, it shows you haven't read the section or my argument carefully enough. That section strengthens my argument.
  • hoppyuppyhoppyuppy Posts: 10,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Read this back tomorrow morning and let me know how intelligent you think it made you sound.
    Forum Member
    A_Zombie wrote: »
    A bit harsh...

Yes, but all I see here is people failing to understand that were animals able to think and act like us, they'd make the same mistakes. So the only way we can be cute harmless animals is for us to have lobotomies.

Sure, we could manage the planet better but slagging off your own species isn't going to do it.
    Forum Member
    hoppyuppy wrote: »
    Read this back tomorrow morning and let me know how intelligent you think it made you sound.

So I use one emotive word and it's OK for you to paint a soppy picture of nature?
    Forum Member
    How are prey going to be liberated if they have non-human predators? Are the guinea pigs going on strike?

Sadly that's nature. It's primarily done by animals for survival.

I would estimate in the past 17 years my vegetarianism has saved the lives of 15,000 animals.

If more people did it that's a lot of animals saved.

It's about doing what we can to reduce animal suffering.
    Forum Member
    No, it shows you haven't read the section or my argument carefully enough. That section strengthens my argument.

From that section: "Infanticide has been, and still is practiced by some human cultures, groups, or individuals"

How does that strengthen your claim that ...

In parts of the world where there is social pressure to have male offspring, the more affluent can afford to have a scan and abort any female foetus. Sadly, amongst the less well-off (and there tend to be a lot in those parts of the world), it's not uncommon for female babies to be abandoned.
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would estimate in the past 17 years my vegetarianism has saved the lives of 15,000 animals.

If more people were vegan you could argue that animals would suffer more. We've domesticated cattle to the degree that they would find it very tough to survive in the wild. Instead farmers feed them, keep them warm, call out the vet when they get sick - a much more comfortable life than scavagening in the wild... and if a cow is going to be slaughtered, stunning it before hand means it doesn't feel a thing.
    Forum Member

That's nice. My point is that humans are animals, we're doing what we can to survive, it's just that our biggest predator is ourselves. I'm arguing against the mindset that sets us apart from animals as if we can separate intelligence from evolution.
    Forum Member
    Stunning doesn't always work and animals often get sent down the slaughterline to have their throats slit fully conscious.

Animal Rights Groups undercover have filmed this.

Also in this kind of job there is likely to be some sickos abusing the animals for the heck of it.

That's been filmed too by PETA.
    Forum Member
    From that section: "Infanticide has been, and still is practiced by some human cultures, groups, or individuals"

How does that strengthen your claim that ...

In parts of the world where there is social pressure to have male offspring, the more affluent can afford to have a scan and abort any female foetus. Sadly, amongst the less well-off (and there tend to be a lot in those parts of the world), it's not uncommon for female babies to be abandoned.

Which bit of "humans tend to avoid this" in any way conflicts with the content of that section?
    Forum Member
    That's nice. My point is that humans are animals, we're doing what we can to survive, it's just that our biggest predator is ourselves. I'm arguing against the mindset that sets us apart from animals as if we can separate intelligence from evolution.

It's funny I was actually talking to my mum earlier and we were talking about the 1st world war.

The 2nd world war is different-Hitler was evil and we had no choice but the 1st world war was the most stupid pointless war ever and led to the loss of lord knows how many lives.

I think humans are self destructive hence all the stupid wars killing for no reason rather than survival.
    Forum Member

17 years x 365 (ignoring leap years) = 6205 days

15,000 animals? How many animals were you eating each day? :eek:
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stunning doesn't always work and animals often get sent down the slaughterline to have their throats slit fully conscious.

Also in this kind of job there is likely to be some sickos abusing the animals for the heck of it.

Well in that case they're breaking the law and the slaughter house would get shut down. They do inspect these things to ensure that procedures are properly followed - evidence from biased sources like PETA isn't reliable.

Yes, there might be the odd cock up which results in an unclean death but that's nothing compared to the suffering that pigs or cows would endure if the entire population stopped eating meat and they were turfed out of farms to fend for themselves. The first winter would see their population decimated.
    Forum Member
    Which bit of "humans tend to avoid this" in any way conflicts with the content of that section?

Ah ... they tend to avoid it ... but some still do it ... as is the case with some animals!

Okay!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member

:D:D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member

Ah yes, Peta. That wonderful animal rights group who have sponsored and supported terrorists, and killed many, many animals in their care because they cannot "afford" to look after them?. That Peta you mean?.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nature is 'red in tooth and claw', I'm afraid.

They're not better than us.

And they don't have the brain power either.

And we do.

I would save a human over any animal.

So, guilty as charged.
    Forum Member
    I think humans are self destructive hence all the stupid wars killing for no reason rather than survival.

Those wars are stupid, but they're hard to avoid. Intelligence is a blessing and a curse. Anyone can be a critic, it's easy to feel better about yourself by being critical of others, the harder thing to do is to realise most people are essentially the same, and that to succeed as a species we have to make everyone a better person.
    Forum Member
    irishguy wrote: »
    Well in that case they're breaking the law and the slaughter house would get shut down. They do inspect these things to ensure that procedures are properly followed - evidence from biased sources like PETA isn't reliable.

Yes, there might be the odd cock up which results in an unclean death but that's nothing compared to the suffering that pigs or cows would endure if the entire population stopped eating meat and they were turfed out of farms to fend for themselves. The first winter would see their population decimated.

If you're a farmer it could be said you're biased.

You have a financial interest in the meat trade.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Budgies are people too!

:)

I do think we are the most important species on the planet but I also think that we should have respect for other organisms. By refusing to have that respect we lose some of what makes us so good.