Kingsman: The Secret Service

Comments

• MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    So you are saying that anyone who enjoys action films is an adolescent then?

That seems a bit of simple view to myself as you don't have to be an adolescent to enjoy an action film

Im a long way from being an adolescent but I still enjoy action films
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    Motthus wrote: »
    So you are saying that anyone who enjoys action films is an adolescent then?

That seems a bit of simple view to myself as you don't have to be an adolescent to enjoy an action film

Im a long way from being an adolescent but I still enjoy action films
    Of course you don't have to be an adolescent to enjoy an action film. I do too. But there is something about the tone to some of them , and the whole jokey, indulgent, comic-bookish extremes, that makes you think of 14-yr old boys getting off on them. Not in a nasty way mind. But that 'yeah, cool!' thing. A little bit Beavis and Butthead, if you like.
  • NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,149
    Forum Member
    Motthus wrote: »
    Yeah I read that as well but from what I read that the delay is to market the film and finish some special effects.The move will also put the film up against 50 Shades Of Grey so they think it will do well as a male antidote to that film!

And for some of us females ;-)
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    Also scissored at the request of the bbfc this week, along with Taken 3.

Special extended edition 18 cert blu-ray in the offing no doubt.

Blame the studio for wanting a 15, not the BBFC.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just read on DS that Kingsman will be released in the UK on Sat 24th Jan. Is that right? Bizarre to release it on a Saturday instead of the usual Friday.

Only 3 weeks to go, can't wait to see this!
    Forum Member
    Yeah same here as I've not been excited about a film like this since I was waiting to see Guardians Of The Galaxy!

I've also read that it's released in the UK on the 24th January but if that's a Saturday then maybe it's going to be a week of previews building up to the offical release on the 29th January
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    A classy James Bond film, unlike the rest bond films this had everything. Gadgets, funny lines, a proper villain with a masterplan and some real kick ass action sequences.

This is a film made by the brits, for the brits. Hope it gets the support it deserves, puts Skyfall to shame.
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    I've got preview tickets to see this on Tuesday, 27th January.

Quite looking forward to a light-hearted James Bond-type film.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just saw this , its pretty good , if you liked Kick Ass I think you'll like it , it's like an old james bond film but with a lot of swearing and ultaviolence !
  • man in the parkman in the park Posts: 4,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this at a preview screening last night and to be honest its a bit of a turkey. Just found all the characters really annoying including colin firth who seemed to be preaching about climate change. Samuel l jackson was embarrassing. I couldn't wait for it to end as i couldn't care less what happened. Just a very bad movie. My other half liked it though.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this at a preview screening last night and to be honest its a bit of a turkey. Just found all the characters really annoying including colin firth who seemed to be preaching about climate change. Samuel l jackson was embarrassing. I couldn't wait for it to end as i couldn't care less what happened. Just a very bad movie. My other half liked it though.

I don't think he was , it was Jackson preaching about the climate change.
    Forum Member
    Empire have given Kingsman The Secret Service 4 out of 5 and said "Perhaps the riskiest mainstream film in years"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    It's very good fun in a Kick Ass kind of way. In some ways probably a bit too similar to that film, but a well made movie none the less.

It's refreshing to finally see an action movie that isn't pandering to the 12A market and for that Matthew Vaughn should be applauded. In the hands of another director this could have become Spy Kids for teenagers.

The only bit I didn't like was 'that' final scene, which does seem to be dividing opinion. A cheap gag, but one that felt out of place and probably not necessary.

If you liked Kick Ass, you'll love this.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    dbob wrote: »
    It's very good fun in a Kick Ass kind of way. In some ways probably a bit too similar to that film, but a well made movie none the less.

It's refreshing to finally see an action movie that isn't pandering to the 12A market and for that Matthew Vaughn should be applauded. In the hands of another director this could have become Spy Kids for teenagers.

The only bit I didn't like was 'that' final scene, which does seem to be dividing opinion. A cheap gag, but one that felt out of place and probably not necessary.

If you liked Kick Ass, you'll love this.
    Shame the Story and Script, is for the under 12's....it's awful - but I have to say, the opening credits, are very creative, plus the church scene.:o
    As for the exploding heads - stupid.

3/10
  • pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    Well I saw the the film today and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Not laughed out at a film for a while. It had drama, comedy and action. Strong cast and well paced.

I hope they make a sequel. I would recommend it.
  • RAZORBACKRAZORBACK Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Generally speaking I really enjoyed this, it was slickly made and consistently entertaining.

However, I do have to say that they failed to give this film an authentically 'British' vibe as more often than not it felt like imitation rather than the genuine article.

Performance wise I did feel that quite a few of the cast would have benefited from putting a little more effort into their roles than they did but thankfully Colin Firth was on top form throughout.

It moved along at a fairly brisk pace, had some excellent set pieces (the church based sequence was by far my favourite) and time wise it never outstayed it's welcome.

Overall I thought this was a very decent (albeit imperfect) comic book adaptation that did more than enough to get an 8/10 from me...
    Forum Member
    Well this film lived up to my expectations as it was really good and I enjoyed it.It was so good to see a proper 15 action film in Kingsman The Secret Service after watching the bland boring 12A Taken 3 a few weeks ago!

It's so good to see an unpredictable and fun film like this as I hope it's a success so studios make more risks like that

It's properly easily to describe it as the Kick Ass of spy films.It won't be to everybody taste but it's still a great film!

4/5
  • pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    Taken 3 was just appalling. Stupid story idea and characters I really could not care for.
  • wordfromthewisewordfromthewise Posts: 2,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good film overall but needed an edit to weed out the slightly indulgent and frankly silly bits....exploding heads,too long not particularly well filmed fight scenes and a too drawn out ending.

The characterisation of Eggsy's mum's partner and his thug mates wasn't believable either but overall good but could have been very good.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    went to see this yesterday with wifey and one of the kids (17 year old). All thoroughly enjoyed it. Certainly didnt take itself very seriously but very well produced. We all laughed out loud at some parts which rarely happens these days (we all have very different sense of humours).

Its not going to win awards but for an entertaining couple of hours its definitely a 4 out of 5 :)
  • Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A certain Bond fan will be disappointed. It appears the opening weekend over here will be almost £4.5m. Shaping up to be far from a flop.
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good but not great. Fun while it's on, but next morning there's nothing to remember. Six months from now, I bet hardly anyone will remember it exists. 3/5
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed this, but I can see why others might not. It would be easy to be quite sniffy about it. Go in with an open mind, don't take it too seriously, and you'll have a blast.
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An absolute blinder of a film that people appear to be taking a little bit too seriously, it even takes the piss out of its self.

It's a comic book film with comic book violence.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got back from seeing it and it was utterly brilliant. Haven't enjoyed a film as much in a long time. Action packed, exciting and funny as well.

Of course the exploding head sequence was absurd, but I think that was the point and I bloody loved it - i was applauding :)