Options

Mucas not coming up - chesty cough!

blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 3,001
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Getting advice for a relative, they are 59.

Basically they've had a cold for about 3 weeks now. The issue is the mucas don't come up - so when they cough you hear it in the chest but it doesn't come up at all in the throat so it doesn't clear at all!

It's been like that for about 2 weeks now (the mucas problem) and 3 weeks for the actual cold. From Pharmacy first they've had Ammonia for a chesty cough, Simple Linctus, Chesty cough mixture and Phocodine. No difference!

Appointment booked with the doctor but have to wait 2 weeks for an appointment!:(

Looking for some advice from someone who's had anything similar. Do they say a cold or mucas should clear up by a few weeks? Any advice - remedies advice!! Thx in advance.

Comments

• Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need to get something that works as an expectorant to loosen the mucus, rather than a suppressant to stop the coughing. Drink lots of water, that can also help.
    http://otcsafety.org/en/treatments/cough-expectorants/
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was about to post about an expectorant but I see Seaside Lady has it sorted
    Also to inhale saline ( salt water ) will help shift mucous too .Put a half teaspoon in hot water in a basin , lean over it with a towel over the head for as long as you can .Have to water as hot as you can handle to aid it steam
  • Options
    blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes thats what the pharmacy said but the Ammonia actually made it worse! and more aggravating i.e the mucas started causing more discomfort. So the pharmacy recommended the simple linctus even though its for dry coughs?? They said that it'll keep the mucas in there and the mucas will go out of you another way. I didn't ask more detail than that!??

So confused!

The Ammonia medication i think was a expectorant...but 3 days of taking it and it made no difference.
  • Options
    BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lie on belly across a bed with head hanging over the side (ie looking at the floor) and just start hacking/coughing and it'll soon all come up. You can optionally have someone GENTLY rubbing and slapping you on the back to help dislodge things (bit like winding a baby). I swear to god this works for me everytime - it was first done to me as a nipper at recommendation of GP.
    One thing, don't do it after eating as food tends to come back up too..... give it a few hours after eating. Oh, and have a bucket/vessel on floor ready to expectorate in to.
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I swear by to loosen the mucus takes about 3/4 days to start working... i have drank gallons of it over the years... BENAYLYN MELTUS.. for catarrh on the chest and throat..

http://shop.patient.co.uk/pharmacy/Meltus_Adult_for_Chesty_Coughs.htm?ID=1173