Malaysian Airline 777 missing 239 feared dead

Comments

• TylersnanTylersnan Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heartache wrote: »
    FGS don't turn on Sky, she's on.:D

Thanks for the heads up :) as I said I just can't risk it........ I literally never tune into Sky news.

I must say that I'm impressed with the Aussies they have put the Malaysians to shame IMO

RIP the 239 of flight MH370 Xx
  • lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    um yes, all emergency exits have them, its like chutes at the side of the plane, they detach from the sides of the plane and become rafts.

Hmm I'm so paying attention to the safety rules next time I fly. Honestly either my brain has seized, or I really didn't notice. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Synnea wrote: »
    I wonder how auto pilot handles no fuel. Does it switch off? If not is a controlled glide on autopilot possible to sea level?

I have no idea tbh. I imagine it's programmed to maintain a certain height, whether there's an override when fuel gets low, I don't know.
  • lizbetlizbet Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm I'm so paying attention to the safety rules next time I fly. Honestly either my brain has seized, or I really didn't notice. :(

Tbh I think many of us don't think about safety until something like this happens
  • ItHasPotentialItHasPotential Posts: 7,817
    Forum Member
    lizbet wrote: »
    Tbh I think many of us don't think about safety until something like this happens

the only reason i knew this, back in 2005 on the flight from amsterdamn to newark nj this sexy little dutch air stewardess got me to have my eyes transfixed on her as she did the actions of exits here, here and here and in the case of a emergence, then shen blew the whistle, glad i didn't have to stand or my gf would be none to pleased with me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have to love the US.

"Dropping buoys... or boo-ees" just in case Americans think they're dropping boys. :D

Time for bed.
  • ItHasPotentialItHasPotential Posts: 7,817
    Forum Member
    just think, in a few hours time we might know the fate :(
  • DanniLaMoneDanniLaMone Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weren't the last words heard spoken by the the co-pilot something like alright, goodnight? I am going with suicide for now.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Weren't the last words heard spoken by the the co-pilot something like goodnight? I am going with suicide for now.
    "Alright Goodnight".......and in my case it really is now.
    Done the Night shift so handing over to you Day shift posters and hoping i rise this afternoon to 'good' news about bad news. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to love the US.

"Dropping buoys... or boo-ees" just in case Americans think they're dropping boys. :D

Time for bed.

:D:D

Me too, although my husband has just made me a coffee before he left for work might keep me awake :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    "Alright Goodnight".......and in my case it really is now.
    Done the Night shift so handing over to you Day shift posters and hoping i rise this afternoon to 'good' news about bad news. :(

I didn't know we had day and night shift posters ;-) I wonder what I'd be classed as?
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't know we had day and night shift posters ;-) I wonder what I'd be classed as?

Temp.

Flexible hours, readily available when possible and all. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends! do you guffaw over Burley? :blush::o:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Temp.

Flexible hours, readily available when possible and all. :D

I logged onto a site a while back and someone messaged me to ask "What the **** are you doing up in the middle of night?" :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tylersnan wrote: »
    It depends! do you guffaw over Burley? :blush::o:D

guffaw?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    guffaw?

Ignore me it's late :) it means to laugh in a boisterous manner :blush:
  • HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tylersnan wrote: »
    Ignore me it's late :) it means to laugh in a boisterous manner :blush:

THIS just made me laugh in a boisterous manner.:D
  • MissWalfordMissWalford Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Weren't the last words heard spoken by the the co-pilot something like alright, goodnight? I am going with suicide for now.

Why when that was a standard phrase they say all the time? I thought this was explained pages and pages ago?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why when that was a standard phrase they say all the time? I thought this was explained pages and pages ago?

Enough of all this speculating, the truth will soon be revealed :)
  • duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no idea tbh. I imagine it's programmed to maintain a certain height, whether there's an override when fuel gets low, I don't know.

Autopilot is programmed to fly a set heading at a set altitude. This is enhanced by the Flight Management System (FMS) in which the crew can programme waypoints to allow the aircraft/autopilot to fly a particular course etc.

Once fuel runs out, I'm afraid there's no back-up etc. Auto pilot will try to maintain the height and speed etc, however the speed will drop off, and eventually the airflow over the wings will become insufficient to sustain "lift". This is called a stall. One other added problem is that when the engines spool down through lack of fuel, the electrical generators will also do so, resulting in a loss of electrical power.
  • gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picture of one piece of debris from twitter it may not be accurate.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheExpatsNZ/status/446535305227563008/photo/1
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,071
    Forum Member

Do you really want to know? :p
  • CitrusBlastCitrusBlast Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    Can't help but feel a bit sad about all this. Even though there was such a tiny chance the plane was safe it seems now that it's pretty much confirmed that it's not. Everyone's mood in the news is quite sombre, they're obviously pretty much 100% sure this is the end of it all now. So sad for the families :(
  • gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New pic from Australian military of debris posted on twitter

https://mobile.twitter.com/trevorlong/status/446539497698631681/photo/1
This discussion has been closed.