Options

Malaysian Airline 777 missing 239 feared dead

Comments

• Options
    DanniLaMoneDanniLaMone Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its going to be a very difficult job retrieving the wreckage and passengers imo
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just woken up and turned on the news.

How sad
  • Options
    fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    Sadly, I think this is it. It always seemed strange that the final ping received would have been at the limit of the fuel reserves, which hinted it had flown rather a long way undetected.

I think of those poor souls and what they went through :(:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fefster wrote: »
    Sadly, I think this is it. It always seemed strange that the final ping received would have been at the limit of the fuel reserves, which hinted it had flown rather a long way undetected.

They probably knew they were going to die and there was nothing they could do about it.
  • Options
    stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    Even if this it, what's sad is we still do not know what happened, aside from running out of fuel, eventually.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They probably knew they were going to die and there was nothing they could do about it.

How awful.
  • Options
    Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very sad news to wake up to. Although if the sighting turns out to be false, it's more anguish of a different sort.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Showing the images now on Sky News...or just now
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fefster wrote: »

Even after the final ping it would have still had 30mins worth of fuel so could have travelled another several hundred miles.
  • Options
    stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    The images are pretty poor quality and don't look like debris, but I am guessing those in charge may have higher quality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am hoping against hope that this is debris of another kind...something that may have dropped off a tanker etc. However, that only prolongs the outcome of the plane and we'd still be none the wiser.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So close to Australia. Makes you wonder why they didn't detect this sooner. Surely their radar should have picked the plane up when it was in the air?

This whole incident has just highlighted how weak security still is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So close to Australia. Makes you wonder why they didn't detect this sooner. Surely their radar should have picked the plane up when it was in the air?

Just because Australia is the closest country doesn't mean the location is nearby.
  • Options
    Jeremy BenthamJeremy Bentham Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    Weren't the last words heard spoken by the the co-pilot something like alright, goodnight? I am going with suicide for now.

Suicide just doesn't make sense. He could have crashed the plane anywhere, why turn it around, then fly it for hours and crash it in the middle of nowhere, he could have just crashed it on the planned route in the sea.

If this is the plane, then the theory about trying to get the plane to the nearest runway to land, due to possible technical faults or fire are pretty consistent. By the time they tried to get to Langkawi the problems on board may have caused too much damage and they just continued on a pretty much straight line until they ran out of fuel or eventuality crashed in that area.

The sad thing is that there may have been survivors and had it been found within a few days they could have been saved, but after this length of time I fear the worst.
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    Just turned on Sky News for the first time since the last general election, hasn't Kay Burley aged?! :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Close-up of possible object in the ocean:

http://i.imgur.com/YbIGv2O.jpg
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see the US Fleet have confirmed that they have found the debris that the Australians identified in their satellite photos.
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SOLVED then
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reports that police and ambulances have arrived at the hotel where the relatives are staying. Maybe they're about to give them bad news?
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member

2,400 km out into the Indian Ocean isn't exactly close!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    InMyArms wrote: »
    Just turned on Sky News for the first time since the last general election, hasn't Kay Burley aged?! :eek:

She looks the same to me. I think she hasn't put her make-up on yet ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reports that police and ambulances have arrived at the hotel where the relatives are staying. Maybe they're about to give them bad news?

Yes and if they react like they did yesterday there is going to be a very distressing scene
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SOLVED then
    Far from it IMHO - finding the wreckage wouldn't explain the cause.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're still staying that the debris may not be related to the aircraft.......spose they cant really confirm or deny until they see it properly
This discussion has been closed.