Options

Saudi cleric tells students 'Earth does not rotate'

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,639
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A Saudi cleric has drawn ridicule on social media after claiming that the Earth does not rotate, and that the Sun orbits the Earth.
Sheikh Bandar al-Khaibari, answering questions from students at a university in the United Arab Emirates on Sunday, told his audience the Earth is "stationary and does not move".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/saudiarabia/11419428/Watch-Saudi-cleric-tells-students-Earth-does-not-rotate.html
(VIDEO)

I am flabbergasted, I don't know where to start.:confused: Is this what Islam believes? How much attention do Muslims give these clerics?

Comments

• Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's Saudi Arabia; need anything else be said?
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    There was an earlier thread about this ...

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2053121&highlight=
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A Saudi cleric has drawn ridicule on social media after claiming that the Earth does not rotate, and that the Sun orbits the Earth.
    Sheikh Bandar al-Khaibari, answering questions from students at a university in the United Arab Emirates on Sunday, told his audience the Earth is "stationary and does not move".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/saudiarabia/11419428/Watch-Saudi-cleric-tells-students-Earth-does-not-rotate.html
    (VIDEO)

I am flabbergasted, I don't know where to start.:confused: Is this what Islam believes? How much attention do Muslims give these clerics?

You could start by reading the previous thread about this!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sorry, I must have missed that thread, should I delete this? How do I delete?:confused:
  • Options
    2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alert your own post to send them a message and ask the mods to delete or merge this thread with the existing thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    Alert your own post to send them a message and ask the mods to delete or merge this thread with the existing thread.

I'll just let the thread slip away, no worries. I'm off to watch Better Call Saul now anyway.:)
  • Options
    bookcoverbookcover Posts: 6,216
    Forum Member

(VIDEO)

Give the poor guy some credit, at least he has realised the world is not flat...mind you China must be pretty empty these days all those people unable to get there. :D:D:D
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

(VIDEO)

It is unbelievable what he's coming out with. Earth isn't spinning but other planets are because of Venus and others being seen moving around this one? Hmm...
  • Options
    Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

(VIDEO)

WTF... who the hell would believe that this is 2015 not 615.
    what next saying the earth is flat.
  • Options
    bozzimacoobozzimacoo Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saw this earlier, frightening logic:

"how can the plane get to china if the earth is moving..." :D
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    bookcover wrote: »
    at least he has realised the world is not flat.

Well of course it's flat! How else do spirit levels work? Or chives? Or self-levelling cement?

Some people...
  • Options
    Guts and GloryGuts and Glory Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When you consider that in many Islamic countries, approximatey 70 percent of the population reject evolutionary science and believe the universe popped into existence 6000 years ago in a puff of smoke, it's hardly surprising.
  • Options
    itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deluded squirrel
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's Saudi Arabia; need anything else be said?
    Ahem.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

About as much as religious people in the West don't think the big bang happened and that we all came from Adam & Eve?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bozzimacoo wrote: »
    "how can the plane get to china if the earth is moving..."

No one probably wanted to raise the counter point that, by his logic, you can't stand on a moving train and walk to the buffet carriage, in case they were locked in a metal cage and burned alive...
  • Options
    Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one probably wanted to raise the counter point that, by his logic, you can't stand on a moving train and walk to the buffet carriage, in case they were locked in a metal cage and burned alive...

if i was listening to him after burst out laughing at the fool.
    and just what the hell did no one question it,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    When you consider that in many Islamic countries, approximatey 70 percent of the population reject evolutionary science and believe the universe popped into existence 6000 years ago in a puff of smoke, it's hardly surprising.

I think the beginning of the universe was when someone rubbed the lantern actually. Not sure what the three wishes were though.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What percentage of Western countries believe we came from Adam & Eve?
  • Options
    Forum Member

As I said, because they were too scared. Many parts of the world still have a culture where you never question the wisdom of elders or professionals.

If you laughed out loud at him in his own country, you may find life becomes more difficult for you.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    If you jump in the carriage of a moving train why don't you get splattered on the back door?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    If you jump in the carriage of a moving train why don't you get splattered on the back door?

Because it is not Allah's will. Unless it is, and you do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    if i was listening to him after burst out laughing at the fool.

Maybe they were crying with laughter too.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »

Because you are still moving relative to the moving train and not the ground outside.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well of course it's flat! How else do spirit levels work? Or chives? Or self-levelling cement?

Some people...

:D:D:D drat... I hadn't thought of those scientific points.

*swiftly recalibrates Theodolite* :blush: