Options

Anxiety, depression, confused!!

frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
Forum Member
I've been diagnosed with anxiety and depression, have had it now for almost 7years.

Today, after a weeks long depressive episode and feeling worthless and no pleasure in life at all, I'm feeling on top of the world, really positive about everything and looking forward to life!

Do others with anxiety and depression swing like this? I'm curious to know if it's just me!!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    I'd go back and query bipolar as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I looked at bi-polar and I don't think I fit that criteria. The mood swings last longer whereas mine are short, as for the rest of the mania stuff listed on the NHS website, it's def not me.
    http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Bipolar-disorder/Pages/Introduction.aspx
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    I suffer more from anxiety, although bad depression has pushed its way in 3 times, and I completely understand what you are saying. It is as though a light gets switched on and everything feels lighter, it happens often with me and I just go with it for as long as it lasts and do my best to keep hold of it. I don't find a pattern it is as though the positive overcomes the negative.
  • Options
    ValeronValeron Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    Same here. I was diagnosed 10 years go nod whilst I'm loads better know, I get that "light switch" effect reported by Hannah. It's something I'm just used to living with now although still very unpleasant at times
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    sounds more like bipolar to me also, certainly sounds like a mood disorder of some sort, you can have rapid cycling moods with bipolar, mine are like that, even within longer cycles. many beepers have more of one mood than the other and highs are not always so massive that your life collapses in the wake or you lose touch with all reality.

keep a mood diary and see if there`s a pattern.

not sure i`ve explained that too clearly.

edit:
    Bipolar disorders
    Bipolar disorder (BD), an unstable emotional condition characterized by cycles of abnormal, persistent high mood (mania) and low mood (depression),[26] which was formerly known as "manic depression" (and in some cases rapid cycling, mixed states, and psychotic symptoms).[27] Subtypes include:
    Bipolar I is distinguished by the presence or history of one or more manic episodes or mixed episodes with or without major depressive episodes. A depressive episode is not required for the diagnosis of Bipolar I Disorder, but depressive episodes are usually part of the course of the illness.
    Bipolar II consisting of recurrent intermittent hypomanic and depressive episodes or mixed episodes.
    Cyclothymia is a form of bipolar disorder, consisting of recurrent hypomanic and dysthymic episodes, but no full manic episodes or full major depressive episodes.
    Bipolar Disorder Not Otherwise Specified (BD-NOS), sometimes called "sub-threshold" bipolar, indicates that the patient suffers from some symptoms in the bipolar spectrum (e.g., manic and depressive symptoms) but does not fully qualify for any of the three formal bipolar DSM-IV diagnoses mentioned above.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mood_disorder#Bipolar_disorders
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm keeping a diary of it now as I wondered if it was hormone related. At least with a diary that may show up when it is happening and if there is any correlation.

Even looking at that link annette I still don't recognise the symptoms for even cyclothymia; my mood at the moment is happy but it's normal and not anything like the hypomania described. It is like a lightswitch as Hannah says.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    I am aware of my feelings being hormone related, although there isn't always a pattern! I can go for 5 or 6 weeks feeling fine and then have weeks of feeling anxious/upset/low for absolutely no reason and then the light comes on again! I am just learning to accept that this is just 'me'. Sometimes I have needed anti-depressants to lift the mood and other times I can cope with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm keeping a diary of it now as I wondered if it was hormone related. At least with a diary that may show up when it is happening and if there is any correlation.

Even looking at that link annette I still don't recognise the symptoms for even cyclothymia; my mood at the moment is happy but it's normal and not anything like the hypomania described. It is like a lightswitch as Hannah says.
    i have no idea how old your are but could you be approaching menopause or have you always been this way?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm 44 - I had my hormones levels checked last year as thought it could be early menopause but GP said all was fine. But I think keeping a diary may help if it is hormone related because then a pattern should emerge. I've always been an anxious sort and I have had odd episodes of feeling low, but it has got worse in the last few years to the point of feeling occasionally that life is worthless and no point in continuing. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm 44 - I had my hormones levels checked last year as thought it could be early menopause but GP said all was fine. But I think keeping a diary may help if it is hormone related because then a pattern should emerge. I've always been an anxious sort and I have had odd episodes of feeling low, but it has got worse in the last few years to the point of feeling occasionally that life is worthless and no point in continuing. :(

i had mine checked a few times with what you might call negative results [due to flushes and night sweats], i was definitely at the start of it [i`m at the end of it now :cool:], i`m not sure how accurate the blood tests are or if they might vary day to day?

diary is a good idea.
  • Options
    Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can get what they call bi polar iii, it's not even really bipolar from what I've been told, it's just when you mimic some of the bi polar symptoms.

I think it's normal to go through depressive periods and then feel better. Sometimes there are external factors and you start feeling really positive. Then hormones kick in to make you feel moody. Then you can feel down again. You can get tested for bi polar though if it's worrying you.
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have anxiety which at times can lead to depression, been diagnosed many years ago. For most of the time I am OK then suddenly I have the switch in the other direction and life becomes a chore.

The lack of energy and motivation is the worse, I know I have to get up get on and go to work when I would much rather just stay in bed and forget the world exists. I do give in to that urge but mostly force myself to get on. I always feel slightly better when out of the house!!
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I sometimes get into a low mood and I have been taking citalopram 10mg for nearly 4 months now and the anxiety symptoms have greatly improved. But now and again I do get a little feeling of anxiety in bed when I'm awake due to shite sleep pattern.

Then it effects my mood. I am going to try and get an assessment, still haven't done it.