Options

The latest US police racism controversy - Sandra Bland

intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
Forum Member
Don't know if this has been discussed here already but I was reading up on this case today:

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jul/21/sandra-bland-dashcam-video-arrest-released

It shows an altercation between a police officer and a woman which Texas police released recently. But people are now accusing them of editing the footage as numerous times throughout the video it loops and the same footage is repeated and people are also accusing them of recording the audio afterwards to match up to the officers account of what happened though the video footage contradicts it.

If that wasn't bad enough she was then locked up for three days (which they have now admitted was unlawful and she shouldn't have been arrested) and was then found dead and they are claiming she committed suicide. There is footage from the jail which was also released but mysteriously the video "got cut off" and therefore doesn't show the moment she died.

These stories are becoming more and more frequent and I think it's because stories like this escalate very quickly through the age of the Internet and also people are now filming authority back using phone cameras. I shudder to think how many people locked up or executed are not guilty and got stitched up.

Comments

• Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a REASON Thelma (or was it Louise) dfidn't want to drive through Texas...
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Law and order was so much simpler before the ability to record things.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another arrogant, power crazed psycho police officer who needed a hard kick in the bollocks to calm him down.

Sadly yet another person has lost their life for daring to argue back to one of these sad sacks whose fragile egos can't stand it. Without a uniform they'd be nothing.
  • Options
    happygirl22happygirl22 Posts: 409
    Forum Member
    Licence to kill ergo they should have no problems with the public having a licence to kill

idiot country
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Another arrogant, power crazed psycho police officer who needed a hard kick in the bollocks to calm him down.

Sadly yet another person has lost their life for daring to argue back to one of these sad sacks whose fragile egos can't stand it. Without a uniform they'd be nothing.

I don't want to put words in your mouth so can you explain how she died due to arguing?
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    As I'm unable right now could someone please tell me what the footage appears to show? Will watch it when I get a chance.
  • Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    seems like an awful story. im not judging what happened as this will be investigated and noone knows fully it seems. best policy is always to be polite and respectful in america if you are stopped by an officer of the law or anyone with power....or any country really
  • Options
    VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are never not 'at it'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SaturnV wrote: »
    I don't want to put words in your mouth so can you explain how she died due to arguing?

Think about it :kitty:
  • Options
    liftmasterliftmaster Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She exploded?
  • Options
    ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-33627708

To me, there is something extremely dodgy with that video.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have done but can't figure it out. As it was you that said it can you explain it?
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SaturnV wrote: »
    I have done but can't figure it out. As it was you that said it can you explain it?
    I can only assume they believe than there was direct causation between the arrest and the alleged suicide.
    I should have thought rather more proof is required for this.
  • Options
    HP.80 VictorHP.80 Victor Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The way it's going it won't be long before any coloured person is immune from arrest, no matter what crime they've been caught in the act of.
  • Options
    Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    this forum is obsessed about what goes on in the usa
  • Options
    DigitalSpyUserDigitalSpyUser Posts: 1,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was reading an article last night that the police force in the US discriminate against applicants who are too intelligent. The average IQ of a police officer is 104, whilst that isn't exactly stupid stupid, many situations require a bit of intelligence and they just don't have it. So it's no wonder we keep reading up of these situations. An applicant of 46 was rejected, so he took it to court over there as a discrimination case, thinking it was an age thing to be told that his age was nothing to do with it, they just discriminate against all people who's IQ is deemed to high. I think on their application IQ test, he scored 125 or something like that.

Studies have also proved that racists and people who discriminate tend to be at the lower end of the bell curve.

That's all you need. A not very bright, racist police officer with a disproportionate amount of power. God help us all!
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just seen this reported on Channel 4 news. They commented about apparent edited footage from the police officers cam. Either way it's a disgusting example of 'policing' (so called). First he ordered her to put her cigarette out whilst she was in her own car, then he orders her out of the car with no reason given, when she refused he instantly 'lost it' and starts screaming at her and threatens "i will light you up"....taser her. :o

http://www.channel4.com/news/sandra-bland-dashcam-footage-shows-arrest
  • Options
    Will_BeeWill_Bee Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why was she in a cell for 3 days before she died?

Why not back on the street after 5 or 6 hours?

A lot of these cops seem like maniacs, dragging women out of cars for a simple traffic offence.
  • Options
    Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw that on Channel 4 news too. The cop was like a wannabe Hitler and why was she detained for three days for a minor traffic offense? Crazy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was reading an article last night that the police force in the US discriminate against applicants who are too intelligent. The average IQ of a police officer is 104, whilst that isn't exactly stupid stupid, many situations require a bit of intelligence and they just don't have it. So it's no wonder we keep reading up of these situations. An applicant of 46 was rejected, so he took it to court over there as a discrimination case, thinking it was an age thing to be told that his age was nothing to do with it, they just discriminate against all people who's IQ is deemed to high. I think on their application IQ test, he scored 125 or something like that.

Studies have also proved that racists and people who discriminate tend to be at the lower end of the bell curve.

That's all you need. A not very bright, racist police officer with a disproportionate amount of power. God help us all!

I hadn't heard that, but it would certainly go a long way towards explaining certain things.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    I can only assume they believe than there was direct causation between the arrest and the alleged suicide.
    I should have thought rather more proof is required for this.

Well, although it obviously can't be proven beyond doubt, I'd bet strong money that if she hadn't been arrested, she'd be alive today.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will_Bee wrote: »
    Why was she in a cell for 3 days before she died?

Why not back on the street after 5 or 6 hours?

A lot of these cops seem like maniacs, dragging women out of cars for a simple traffic offence.
    It's a country going backwards with an OOC Police force and wacko's still dressing up in pointy hoods. Even the Confederate flag flew in South Carolina until last week.
  • Options
    Will_BeeWill_Bee Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    It's a country going backwards with an OOC Police force and wacko's still dressing up in pointy hoods. Even the Confederate flag flew in South Carolina until last week.

I don't know what an ooc police force means, but I watch a lot of YouTube videos of people getting stopped by cops and its probably best not to engage with the cops in any way and just do the bare minimum you need to do by law, be it identifying your self or whatever and nothing else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, although it obviously can't be proven beyond doubt, I'd bet strong money that if she hadn't been arrested, she'd be alive today.

What are you saying caused her to die from arguing though?
  • Options
    Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will_Bee wrote: »
    I don't know what an ooc police force means, but I watch a lot of YouTube videos of people getting stopped by cops and its probably best not to engage with the cops in any way and just do the bare minimum you need to do by law, be it identifying your self or whatever and nothing else.

That's exactly what this woman tried to do and he went ballistic at her and started ordering her out of the car.