Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em - Ch5, 7.55pm.

crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Jessica's First Christmas, from 1975. Great comedy classic.

I'm Frank's biggest fan and have all the DVD's. This may be ruined by ads. Hope 5 show it without ads.

The 1974 Christmas special is on tomorrow night.

Comments

• John.DitchfieldJohn.Ditchfield Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jessica's First Christmas, from 1975. Great comedy classic.

I'm Frank's biggest fan and have all the DVD's. This may be ruined by ads. Hope 5 show it without ads.

The 1974 Christmas special is on tomorrow night.

Fraid not its probably been hacked to bits by the same idiot that does the tapes for GOLD
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would Five show it without ads, what are you talking about?

according to my tv guide it says they are showing the 1974 one tonight and the 1975 on the 30th
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it on Irish channel TV3 yesterday.....enjoyed it a lot :)
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would Five show it without ads, what are you talking about?

It'll spoil it with ads though. Ruin the continuity of it. Any programme made without ads should be shown WITHOUT ADS.
  • John.DitchfieldJohn.Ditchfield Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'll spoil it with ads though. Ruin the continuity of it. Any progrsamme made without ads should be shown WITHOUT ADS.

Sadly Chris that will never happen this show was made by the BBC and is being shown by a commerical station more than likely its a DVD they are using and got a YTS kid to hit pause:D
  • grahamcrowdengrahamcrowden Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jessicas first Xmas is 1974.

The 1975 special is an early hint of how bad the show would be when it returned in 1979.

The first series appeal was based largely around how timid Frank Spencer was and how he would not say boo to a goose but by 1979 he was an aggressive idiot who's voice was like a poor Yarwood impression of the 1973 Frank.

The 1975 special features Spencer in an argument with George Sewell which is its only connection to Xmas.

The rest of the special is in 2 parts.
    A dire visit to the Spencer household by David Jacobs investigating the DIY handiwork of Frank and a completely unrelated section of Frank learning to drive that looked like it had been tacked on to boost the running time.

Hilarity ensues as Frank narrowly misses killing a Mother and her baby in a pram :rolleyes:
  • MintMint Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched it with 7 year old neice. She asked how many children does the Priest have. She said "they're all calling him father". :D
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, hey! This is hilarious :D No one could be as dim as him. Everywhere he goes, he's a complete disaster :D Up there with Fawlty Towers.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jessicas first Xmas is 1974.

The 1975 special is an early hint of how bad the show would be when it returned in 1979.

The first series appeal was based largely around how timid Frank Spencer was and how he would not say boo to a goose but by 1979 he was an aggressive idiot who's voice was like a poor Yarwood impression of the 1973 Frank.

The 1975 special features Spencer in an argument with George Sewell which is its only connection to Xmas.

The rest of the special is in 2 parts.
    A dire visit to the Spencer household by David Jacobs investigating the DIY handiwork of Frank and a completely unrelated section of Frank learning to drive that looked like it had been tacked on to boost the running time.

Hilarity ensues as Frank narrowly misses killing a Mother and her baby in a pram :rolleyes:

People may have differing opinions on whether the later series was "bad" or not. In fact series three was aired in November and December 1978(the first two series both aired in 1973 and were repeated endlessly) and drew huge ratings- the highest averaging 20 million.
    Clearly the show was a huge hit and Frank probably the most mimicked character in tv history-I didnt know anyone at the time who didnt come out with an "ooh Betty" now and again.
  • RetrospectiveRetrospective Posts: 3,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Throughly enjoyed seeing this vintage episode again. I was always a big fan of Frank Spencer. Always made me laugh. Mind I laughed a lot more back in those days. Now I don't laugh quite so easily but this episode tonight had me laughing out loud and that isn't an easy thing to make me do now. Michael Crawford as Frank Spencer is probably my all time favourite comedy character of all time.
  • KarlyKarly Posts: 10,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mint wrote: »
    Watched it with 7 year old neice. She asked how many children does the Priest have. She said "they're all calling him father". :D
    At least you got one laugh out of watching it - really can't stand Frank Spencer - always made me cringe.
  • essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,208
    Forum Member
    And to think Ronnie Barker and Norman Wisdom were offered the part of Frank before Crawford...
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still remember watching this when it was first shown on BBC1 many Christmas Days ago. It was followed by Mike Yarwood who did a spoof of the end scene of Some Mothers Do Have 'Em with'Frank' on the church roof.. Never seen it since.
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    essexpete wrote: »
    And to think Ronnie Barker and Norman Wisdom were offered the part of Frank before Crawford...

Luckily both turned it down!
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While I often found SMDAE funny, it was frequently in a rather queasy, embarrassed way. There's something rather infantile and pathetic about a man who behaves as Frank does, and it sometimes feels a little wrong to laugh at him-especially as nowadays he would probably be diagnosed as having 'special needs.'
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While I often found SMDAE funny, it was frequently in a rather queasy, embarrassed way. There's something rather infantile and pathetic about a man who behaves as Frank does, and it sometimes feels a little wrong to laugh at him-especially as nowadays he would probably be diagnosed as having 'special needs.'

Michael Crawford has said that he played the character as a child as if everything that happened to him was surprising confusing and full of wonder. It was also I think deemed imperative that he had a wife presumably to add in an element of conventionality.

I dont think the show would work today as it did in the seventies. The audience is largely more streetwise than back then and I would think they would find the character as it was somewhat unbelievable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    People may have differing opinions on whether the later series was "bad" or not. In fact series three was aired in November and December 1978(the first two series both aired in 1973 and were repeated endlessly) and drew huge ratings- the highest averaging 20 million.
    Clearly the show was a huge hit and Frank probably the most mimicked character in tv history-I didnt know anyone at the time who didnt come out with an "ooh Betty" now and again.

Like any hit show at that time that had been off for 4 years viewers would watch in expectation.
    Opinions from 1979 are as relevant today as using the info that Love Thy Neighbour topped the ratings on numerous occasions when it was on in the 70's to promote that show today.

We have the benefit of being able to see all 3 series whenever we want and there is no doubt that series 3 is completely different from series 1 and the Frank Spencer character is not the one we fell in love with in 1973 - which is why series 3 is crap in comparison.
    Series 3 does have some funny moments but it speaks volumes that the funniest is actually an unintended moment in the Richard Wilson episode when Michele Dotrice starts to laugh at Wilson sinking in the chair when she shouldn't and she actually covers her face and the entire scene basically draws to a halt for a good length of time while all the actors try to compose themselves to carry on without laughing.

Its incredible they didn't stop and do another take.

Series 3 overdid the stunts which were well done but pushed the show beyond the realms of credibility way too far .
    But compared to series 1 the final series was not very good at all
  • jamespondojamespondo Posts: 6,040
    Forum Member
    While I enjoy all the episodes of SMDAE,there is a noticeable change in the way Crawford plays Frank after the second series.He became annoying and near unlikeable in the the third series -- a real cheesey, jumped up moron.

In contrast,the character is portrayed as rather shy and unlucky in series one and two.He tries his best yet things go very wrong.

I feel it's unfortunate people combine the two versions of Frank into how they remember the show.There are a number of perfectly written and expertly performed episodes in series 1 and 2.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jamespondo wrote: »
    While I enjoy all the episodes of SMDAE,there is a noticeable change in the way Crawford plays Frank after the second series.He became annoying and near unlikeable in the the third series -- a real cheesey, jumped up moron.

In contrast,the character is portrayed as rather shy and unlucky in series one and two.He tries his best yet things go very wrong.

I feel it's unfortunate people combine the two versions of Frank into how they remember the show.There are a number of perfectly written and expertly performed episodes in series 1 and 2.

I'm glad somebody else spotted it too.
    IN series 1 he is a shy timid man.
    In series 2 he is slightly less timid.

IN the 1975 special and in series 3 he is an aggressive idiot bearing little resemblance to the Frank of series 1.

If you listen to the soundbites used on the dvd menus for series 3 and the specials he sounds like Mike Yarwood's impression of Spencer from 1973 - and Yarwood got the mannerisms but he never got the voice
    Forum Member
    jamespondo wrote: »

He was unlucky all the way through
  • riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't recall what year it was made, but my favourite episode of this show was when he was wearing a kilt and doing some Scottish dancing, and as he passed from dancer to dancer he would say in that gormless voice of his "Hello, Goodbye"!

Made me lol every time! :D
    Forum Member
    Can't recall what year it was made, but my favourite episode of this show was when he was wearing a kilt and doing some Scottish dancing, and as he passed from dancer to dancer he would say in that gormless voice of his "Hello, Goodbye"!

Think my fave ep is where he makes a wendy house for Jessica and gets stuck in it, thats from the same series as the episode above ,the last series, which people have slated lol.Also like it when Frank starts singing 'Early One Morning'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Watch it more than once and you can see Frank deliberately undoing his kilt at the end before the big reveal of his bum.
    essexpete wrote: »
    Think my fave ep is where he makes a wendy house for Jessica and gets stuck in it, thats from the same series as the episode above ,the last series, which people have slated lol.Also like it when Frank starts singing 'Early One Morning'

The stories and situations of the 3rd series are nearly as good as the earlier shows but its Crawfords portrayal of Spencer that spoils it.
    Watch a first series episode then one from the 3rd and you'll see the change immediately.

Frank gets the rope caught round his leg which pulls him up in the air when the Wendy house falls down.
    Watch closely and you'll see that there is no rope around his leg at all , but when it cuts to the shot of him being pulled over the rope is suddenly attached .
    Not too difficult to see that the shot of the house falling on top of him was actually a sequence of the house being lifted off of him then played in reverse in the show itself.

His "early one morning" renditions reach their zenith in the Christopher Timothy episode in which Frank auditions to work as an entertainer and his Vesuvius explodes at the end as an excuse for filling the studio with soap bubbles.
    Series 2 IIRC
  • jamespondojamespondo Posts: 6,040
    Forum Member
    I'm glad somebody else spotted it too.
    IN series 1 he is a shy timid man.
    In series 2 he is slightly less timid.

IN the 1975 special and in series 3 he is an aggressive idiot bearing little resemblance to the Frank of series 1.

If you listen to the soundbites used on the dvd menus for series 3 and the specials he sounds like Mike Yarwood's impression of Spencer from 1973 - and Yarwood got the mannerisms but he never got the voice

I didn't notice it until I watched it as a adult...years after enjoying it as a kid.

Amazed me so much I read up on some interviews with MC.He admits to honing the character after the introduction of Jessica.Amiable but it didn't work IMO.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I remember he then grabbed a large tablecloth off the table in front of him to cover his modesty after his kilt fell to the floor,sending food and drink flying all over the guests :D