Laurel & Hardy - much missed on tv

Comments

• essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,208
    Forum Member
    shaggy_x wrote: »
    Stan doing the lighter trick with his thumb :D

Only he could pass it off as really funny. Anyone else and it would look just stupid.

James Finlayson and his 'cock-eye' at his best in Way out West and also the one where theyre sailors ('and what will you have stan? :D)

Blockheads,pulling down the shadow of the blind, love that one
  • IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    essexpete wrote: »
    Any Stan eating an inedible object scene is funny,i.e Ollie's hat in Way Out West

I loved the way that he ate a hard boiled egg in one short where Ollie is in hospital - so precise peeling it, then putting on the salt, etc. And funny of course. :D
  • wur86wur86 Posts: 10,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL3mHPmNKRE
    Very good dancers as well!:D
  • IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    :D

They're great - the perfect comedy duo if you ask me. :)
  • daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,603
    Forum Member
    Did you find anything? BTJunkie came up with nothing for both Errol and Kennedy.

Edga Kennedy was in Anchors Aweigh, which was on BBC2 today - I have a strange fetish for the credits :o:p

Speaking of L& H, have always been a huge fan, and taped all their shows when they were on TV some years ago - still watch videos...... :o Then a relative bought me the boxed dvds and this Christmas I was given the same boxed dvds :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    wur86 wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL3mHPmNKRE
    Very good dancers as well!:D

Funny how this dance seems to fit so many different tracks - this is my particula favourite:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaC5ohRAjmI
    Forum Member
    'Twice Two' has to be my obsolute favourite L&H film, where they play each others wives. :D:D Thinking about it, I have just got to watch that again. :p
    Forum Member
    It was Leon Errol! It just came into my head at a completely random moment!

Sorry for taking the thread off-topic, but you know whats it like when you cant think of something. :)
    Leon Errol is v underrated IMO, ordered a few DVDs of his comedy shorts from the US, one of the best comedy drunks ever
  • shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the DVD boxset is back down to £24.99 at amazon now. Is this the reissued boxset without the booklets?? if so, really hesitant to get it as aparently it comes in cheap tacky plastic boxes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    My father brought me up on Laurel and Hardy and in the days before DVD boxsets and to a degree access to videos I would not of had the enjoyment without BBC showing them on regular basis.

The laughter that these two created should not be allowed to be forgotten and I know many people who have never heard of them which I find incredibly sad especially when I look at some of the comedy that is broadcast on tv currently
  • ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mac1976 wrote: »
    My father brought me up on Laurel and Hardy and in the days before DVD boxsets and to a degree access to videos I would not of had the enjoyment without BBC showing them on regular basis.

The laughter that these two created should not be allowed to be forgotten and I know many people who have never heard of them which I find incredibly sad especially when I look at some of the comedy that is broadcast on tv currently
    They had been showing them regularly in the first half of the last decade but they definitely need to return them to air soon to replace the back episodes of Due South and Diagnosis Murder that seem to fill BBC2's schedules now.
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shaggy_x wrote: »
    the DVD boxset is back down to £24.99 at amazon now. Is this the reissued boxset without the booklets?? if so, really hesitant to get it as aparently it comes in cheap tacky plastic boxes.

The boxset doesn't come with the booklets as this was the boxset from amazon that i got for my christmas.While it would have been nice to have the booklets i didn't let it spoil the set for me.Personally speaking i had no problem with the dvd cases also.For £24.99 it's well worth it.

It must have went back down to £24.99 the last day or 2.When i bought it 3 or 4 weeks ago it was £24.99 however when i was on the amazon site on christmas eve it was £29.99
    Forum Member
    ohglobbits wrote: »
    They had been showing them regularly in the first half of the last decade but they definitely need to return them to air soon to replace the back episodes of Due South and Diagnosis Murder that seem to fill BBC2's schedules now.

Least this is the first time Due South has been repeated since original transmission. Like Diagnosis Murder but it has been repeated too much
  • KarlyKarly Posts: 10,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought I remembered hearing years ago that there was some legal dispute with some of the families and this was the reason you hardly ever saw them on tv.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Karly wrote: »
    I thought I remembered hearing years ago that there was some legal dispute with some of the families and this was the reason you hardly ever saw them on tv.

Don't MGM/Ted Turner or whoever owns his stuff now own the rights.
    Ted Turner bought MGM's TV and Film catalogue years ago IIRC.

Someone on here will know the whole story of probably over leveraged buy-outs.

Might be the same lot that seems to own the best pre 60's cartoons, Tom & Jerry, Bugs Bunny etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should be seen more on TV, they were brilliant at visual comedy and their timing was spot on,
    Stan's various looks at Ollie were incredibly in tone with scene they were doing at the time.

They made Comedy look very easy, and that is the mark of Masters of their craft.

"Another fine mess i've gotten into"
    Forum Member
    Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into
  • beefybeefbeefybeef Posts: 3,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soda.....soda.....soda.....and what will YOU have Stanley?
  • rhodrhod Posts: 3,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A friend of mine regularly watched L&H DVDs with his kids and he says that they love 'em. (They are about 13 years old).

As others have said, it's a great shame that the clueless TV programmers overlook classic material like this.
    Forum Member
    Speaking of funny duos Tom and Jerry arent on anymore either
  • ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    essexpete wrote: »
    Speaking of funny duos Tom and Jerry arent on anymore either
    Not even on one of the Cartoon Network channels??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    My dad used to have Laurel & Stanley recorded on tapes - used to love them! I was quite young though, so don't remember that much, but the one thing that sticks in my mind is when Stan has to eat Ollie's hat, but ends up enjoying it :D

Might have to see if I can find those videos while I'm at home for xmas :)
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rhod wrote: »
    A friend of mine regularly watched L&H DVDs with his kids and he says that they love 'em. (They are about 13 years old).

As others have said, it's a great shame that the clueless TV programmers overlook classic material like this.

Ditto Harold Lloyd, The Three Stooges, WC Fields, all the classic cartoons from the thirties and forties, these were regulars on all stations for decades. Surely a channel like BBC Four should show them.
  • Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gerry d wrote: »

It must have went back down to £24.99 the last day or 2.When i bought it 3 or 4 weeks ago it was £24.99 however when i was on the amazon site on christmas eve it was £29.99

Also £25 instore at Tesco, picked one up today, going to have a L&H marathon over the New Year weekend.:D
    Forum Member
    ohglobbits wrote: »
    Not even on one of the Cartoon Network channels??

I mentioned this on another thread.
    Ted Turner owns MGM's pre 86 film library, so Tom & Jerry turns up on Boomerang, which is probably a channel he or his media group owns.